Trials and Tribble-ations

WedgeBob

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 6:39 am

I just can't get enough of this episode. ¿It basically sends the gang back in time about a century, and they run into the original NCC-1701, Worf and Odo run into older-style Klingons, everyone has tribbles all over the place, and Sisko gets investigated by a couple of "suits" in this... ¿Dunno about you, but I like newer Klingons like Worf and Duras more than the older Klingons like you had in TOS, maybe it's just me.  However, it's just something to have DS9 staff having to travel back and become part of the TOS crew like that.  Anyone else like this episode more than some of the others?

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 8:02 am

I love this episode, and thought it was very well made. I honestly think it's one of the great Star Trek episodes. It was cool seeing O'Brien and Bashir get dressed down by Kirk after the bar fight.

The TOS Klingons were portrayed as an agressive species, but don't think they played the whole honor-based culture thing until they reintroduced them in TNG.

Mantaray

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 9:24 am

This was a brilliant episode.

WorfsGonads

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 10:31 am

A brilliantly done episode and a 30th anniversary tribute.  Lots of fun.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 11:14 am

I loved that episode. It was interesting to see how the DS9 crew would handle events in Kirk's time. Additionally, I would loved to see Leeta & Kira in TOS female uniforms.  ;)

TheDriver

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 4:11 pm

Ya know, I only had one quibble with this episode...

Why didn't Jadzia wear a blue uniform? I mean, O'Brien wore red, Sisko wore gold, and Bashir wore blue. So what gives?

Other than that (very minor) gripe? I thought this episode was an example of absolute excellence.

And like Zelkar, I dug it when O'Brien actually responded to Kirk in the lineup. Ha. Priceless!

WedgeBob

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 4:22 pm

I actually remember that Odo ordered a type of coffee that was Klingon, and they didn't even have that one, and the waitress said that he was only the second one to order that.  I bet that Worf was the first one to ask for that drink...  What was the name of that drink again?  I forget...

juliansgirl7

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 5:05 pm

Quote (WedgeBob @ July 09 2009, 5:22 pm)
I actually remember that Odo ordered a type of coffee that was Klingon, and they didn't even have that one, and the waitress said that he was only the second one to order that. ¿I bet that Worf was the first one to ask for that drink... ¿What was the name of that drink again? ¿I forget...

Actually the first one to order the Klingon beverage 'Rakdajino' was Arne Darvin. The waitress said it was an older man, a 'human'-and remember he was still disguised AS a human

captbates

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 5:09 pm

^^ yep :logical:

captbates

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 5:20 pm

I loved this episode, it was surprising how well the new material fitted in with the original episode.

The episode could have been very different if not for a chance meeting, I wonder if it will ever be made using another crew?

Coincidentally, Shatner starred in a 1971 episode of Mission: Impossible titled "Encore" as an aged gangster who thinks he has been transported back in time to the 1930s.
According to Mike Okuda on the DVD commentary of the Deep Space 9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations," the writers of DS9 had originally intended to make a sequel to "A Piece of the Action" instead of "The Trouble With Tribbles" for Star Trek's anniversary. The episode would have involved a return to Iotia, where the crew of DS9 would discover that the highly imitative Iotians had re-built their society entirely around 23rd Century Starfleet, due to the Enterprise's visit a century before. This idea was dropped when the producers happened to chance upon "The Trouble With Tribbles" actor Charlie Brill sitting in the same restaurant where they were discussing the planned tribute

LegendofStu

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 5:58 pm

this is one of my favorite trek episodes ever. I like when Dax was like "oh wow he is much more attractive in person!" and Sisko is like "well they did say kirk was quite the ladies man" and she says "Not kirk...spock."

OtakuJo

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 8:16 pm

Do I like this episode....?

Are you kidding? :D

lostshaker

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 11:17 pm

Bashir: You lied to Captain Kirk.
O'Brien: I'd lied to Captain Kirk.

This episode spawned laughs like Tribbles reproduce.

"Which Enterprise? Be specific. There have been five."
"Six"
Sisko: The original.
"His ship."
"Guilty of seventeen temporal violations. The man was a menace."

Then at the end...

Siscko: Before I left... there was just one more thing I had to do.

Damien

Report this Jul. 10 2009, 11:24 pm

For all the great visuals and laughs ... I am very glad the writers had a good story line as well. It easily could have had a weak story line that played out like a clip show for the TOS episode(or several episodes), that would have been lame. For a good (bad) example of this kind of show see the TNG episode "Shades of Grey"

So once again thanks to the producers for waiting until they had a decent story, and not forcing some old stuff in somewhere just for the sake of doing it

juliansgirl7

Report this Jul. 11 2009, 12:49 pm

Quote (OtakuJo @ July 09 2009, 9:16 pm)
Do I like this episode....?

Are you kidding? :D

JULIAN was so adorable in 23rd c. uniforms, like the early Ken dolls(from the 60's)