Worst Episode

Ndirsch11

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 4:00 pm

The poll choices are a combination of my own opinion, the fan reviews on StarTrek.com, and the general consensus from people who post here regularly.

My pick for the worst has to be the "goo" episode, "Course:  Oblivion."  I think it embodied all of the worst impulses of the series (and I consider Voyager to be a very good series; but it DID have some vices).  Here we have a completely outlandish premise that can't be taken seriously, the science makes absolutely no sense no matter how you try to rationalize it (how exactly can a substance described as bio-mimetic duplicate an entire ship?; THE SHIP IS NOT ORGANIC!;), and at the end the dramatic reset button is pushed.  We watch all these people die and, ultimately, it doesn't matter.  They weren't the real crew.  So, who cares?  It was just a gimmick, an annoying one at that.  I can't stand it when the writers try to come up with some elaborate high concept scenario just to see if they can pull it off.

How dumb is this episode?  Well, here's one of many examples of stupidity on display:  towards the end, the "goo" crew is desperately trying to launch a time capsule so that some part of them will live on and a record of their accomplishments can reach others.  What's the problem with this?  THE TIME CAPSULE IS MADE OF THE EXACT SAME SUBSTANCE AS EVERYTHING ELSE!  It's just goo!  It will degrade too!  So, everything that they're doing with the time capsule is a pointless waste of time.  But, of course, I'm not supposed to notice such things.   :laugh:

Lynx677

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 4:06 pm

"Fury"

Not only the worst Voyager episode but the worst and most insulting episode ever in any TV series.

Other really bad Voyager episodes are:

The Gift
Endgame
Mortal Coil
Message In A Bottle

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 4:35 pm

I thought Course Oblivion was a cool show I don't see why anyone would not like it.  Think about it you think you are someone you are not, and don't realize it until you are history.  I thought it was an interesting story.  Obviously the toilet episode of Voyager is often believed to be Threshold because it pulled a lot of stuff out of thin air and it made no sense.  People most of the time said they hated it because it was off the canon, but I really think people hated it because it suggested that humans will de-evolve rather than ascend.  I don't see why people have such a hard time with this.  Humans have been de-evolving as we speak what's not to accept?

teya1020

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 4:42 pm

I didn't vote.

My worst episodes are:

"Resolutions"

"Coda"

"Tattoo"

teya1020

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 4:43 pm

Quote (Ndirsch11 @ July 02 2009, 4:00 pm)
towards the end, the "goo" crew is desperately trying to launch a time capsule so that some part of them will live on and a record of their accomplishments can reach others. ¿What's the problem with this? ¿THE TIME CAPSULE IS MADE OF THE EXACT SAME SUBSTANCE AS EVERYTHING ELSE! ¿It's just goo! ¿It will degrade too! ¿So, everything that they're doing with the time capsule is a pointless waste of time. ¿But, of course, I'm not supposed to notice such things. ¿ :laugh:

Actually, they said that they were using components brought aboard during their trip--so those were solid components.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 4:45 pm

Quote (teya1020 @ July 02 2009, 4:42 pm)
I didn't vote.

My worst episodes are:

"Resolutions"

"Coda"

"Tattoo"

I think anything named Coda is dissapointing.  Remember Led Zeppelin's album Coda...not good.

SLagonia

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 4:50 pm

Threshold...  Oh God Threshold.  That episode needs to be burried deep inside one of those Pacific trenches and surrounded by radioactive waste.

By the way, good jon on the poll.  All of those episodes are considered bad.

scnj

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 5:43 pm

Threshold easily. Although Fury was massively insulting to the memory of Kes (one of my top characters) it can't begin to approach how awful Threshold was.

captbates

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 7:24 pm

Maybe not the worst episode. there have been some good points raised in its favour, but definately the dumbest idea, especially done so early on in the show.

challengerdyer

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 8:17 pm

Alot of great bad episodes!!! I can't really pick one! About Kes in "Fury". What the heck was her problem anyway?! I never quite got it!  Far cry from "Warlord" which I think is a great episode.  If they had exploded Kes' mental powers, but she could handle it, that would have given Kes something to do.

I can just see Kes and Janeway cornered by Hirogen, Kes raises her hand Darth Vader style and kills them in the blink of an eye.  What would Janeway do? What could she do?

captbates

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 8:23 pm

Quote (challengerdyer @ July 02 2009, 1:17 am)
Alot of great bad episodes!!! I can't really pick one! About Kes in "Fury". What the heck was her problem anyway?! I never quite got it! ¿Far cry from "Warlord" which I think is a great episode. ¿If they had exploded Kes' mental powers, but she could handle it, that would have given Kes something to do.

I can just see Kes and Janeway cornered by Hirogen, Kes raises her hand Darth Vader style and kills them in the blink of an eye. ¿What would Janeway do? What could she do?

That's exactly why Kes had to go. You can't have a crew member with "magic" powers, it's Star Trek not Star Wars. It's fine having Q or other aliens possesing these abilities but how would the writers come up with anything other than Sci Fantasy from week to week?

TransphasicTorpedoes

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 8:45 pm

I avoid episodes with Q.

Other than that, I like 'em all.

SLagonia

Report this Jul. 02 2009, 9:00 pm

Quote (TransphasicTorpedoes @ July 01 2009, 11:45 pm)
I avoid episodes with Q.

Other than that, I like 'em all.

Granted, Q was misportrayed in DS9 and Voyager, but the character itself is excellent.  Go back and watch the TNG episodes.

Lynx677

Report this Jul. 03 2009, 1:27 pm

Quote (captbates @ July 01 2009, 9:23 pm)
Quote (challengerdyer @ July 02 2009, 1:17 am)
Alot of great bad episodes!!! I can't really pick one! About Kes in "Fury". What the heck was her problem anyway?! I never quite got it! ?Far cry from "Warlord" which I think is a great episode. ?If they had exploded Kes' mental powers, but she could handle it, that would have given Kes something to do.

I can just see Kes and Janeway cornered by Hirogen, Kes raises her hand Darth Vader style and kills them in the blink of an eye. ?What would Janeway do? What could she do?

I'm not gonna turn this into a Kes debate but since the issue with her powers are brought up, there are some things I have to correct.

Kes didn't have any "Dart Vader" powers in seasons 1-3. She got that in "The Gift" only because those in charge had decided to get rid of her as soon as possible and gave her those ridiculous powers as an excuse to make her "leave" Voyager. If Kes had had the same powers as in seasons 1-3, there wouldn't have been any problems.

Add to this that instead of Kes with her rather harmless powers, we got Super-Seven whose Borg probes and Borg knowledge could fix everything from rebuilding the warp engine from scratch to mending Janeway's malfunctioning hairdryer.

Ndirsch11

Report this Jul. 03 2009, 2:03 pm

Quote (Lynx677 @ July 02 2009, 4:06 pm)
"Fury"

Lynx,

just out of curiosity, did you ever watch the Enterprise finale, "These are the Voyages?"  If so, I'd like to know what you thought of it.  That's another example where many Star Trek fans felt insulted by the writers (Berman and Braga, again!;).

Users browsing this forum: miklamar