OT: Impressions of Transformers 2

Camorite

Report this Jul. 01 2009, 1:13 pm

At the time of this post Transformers 2: Rise of the Fallen has been in theaters for a week now. Personally i loved the movie, but then again i have been a fan of that franchise for as long as i have been a fan of trek (if not a little longer), so much that i watched it twice in one day (first in the theater then at the local drive in with Trek as the second movie).

So my question is what did trek fans who saw the movie think of it?

lion_tone

Report this Jul. 01 2009, 2:12 pm

Quote (Camorite @ July 01 2009, 1:13 pm)

So my question is what did trek fans who saw the movie think of it?

Hi, old friend!

I thought it was ok-to-good. I wasn't expecting "deep drama" this movie. I was expecting big robots dishing out one-liners and knuckle sandwiches, and on that level, it's cool.

I was a little confused with the Jetfire/Skyfire plot. I didn't realize that robots looked like Gandalf The Grey. I wish they would have made him a new edition to the Autobot lineup and kept something similar to his classic image.

(spoiler)

I think having Prime die in the 1st third of the movie was a mistake. I would have organized the plot so the Decepticons absolutely tooled the Autobots. OP dies at the end of the movie (with Ironhide or Jetfire assuming command), then setting up the third movie with an Optimus Prime cliffhanger...(ala TwOK-> Search For Spock).

It's cliche for sure, but I thought this movie's pacing was a bit off. Technically, it was very good though...

tribblenator999

Report this Jul. 01 2009, 4:11 pm

I loved the new movie. Been a fan of the franchise since the days of beast wars back when it first came out which got me into G1.  I loved how the humans got back at the transformers just by throwing the big guns at them. Spike finally was  a hero.  It was funny. Loved how a decepticon joined the autobots. (originally jet fire was a autobot in G1).  Loved the prime upgrade in the end where he owned the fallen. Good movie, hope they make a 3rd part.

alexmcpherson

Report this Jul. 01 2009, 4:27 pm

Move to Ten Forward!

Camorite

Report this Jul. 07 2009, 4:36 pm

Quote (lion_tone @ July 01 2009, 2:12 pm)

actually if you, like me, read the novel adaptation of the movie you would know that he only went into stasis lock, which, for those that don't understand tranformers lingo, just means that he was in a type of comma until proper repairs could be made to him.

Camorite

Report this Jul. 07 2009, 4:37 pm

Quote (alexmcpherson @ July 01 2009, 4:27 pm)
Move to Ten Forward!

when the administrators tell me to i will, but not before.

Lucifer_

Report this Jul. 08 2009, 1:15 am

Soundwave sounds like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget.

alexmcpherson

Report this Jul. 08 2009, 2:55 am

Quote (Camorite @ July 07 2009, 4:37 pm)
Quote (alexmcpherson @ July 01 2009, 4:27 pm)
Move to Ten Forward!

when the administrators tell me to i will, but not before.

And ten forward is for non-trek discussions, and this board is for trek discussions.
ergo, it should be moved.

Camorite

Report this Jul. 08 2009, 9:25 am

Quote (alexmcpherson @ July 08 2009, 2:55 am)
Quote (Camorite @ July 07 2009, 4:37 pm)
Quote (alexmcpherson @ July 01 2009, 4:27 pm)
Move to Ten Forward!

when the administrators tell me to i will, but not before.

ergo, it should be moved.

and i have been doing these type on the general boards for a while now. again if you don't like it report me, but i am not going to stop just because one person doesn't like where i posted it.

alexmcpherson

Report this Jul. 08 2009, 10:42 am

I was just saying, and i don't 'not like' it nor 'like it'.
And now I've ended up being OT in an OT topic...

But I am a stickler for "this forum is for this specific thing/subject/etcetera, and that forum is for the rest'.

The key in the forum title is the middle two words, discussions about 'star trek' in general.

If the moderators don't mind non-trek in trek, then I will not say anything more.

That is, if the moderators even see this. It's just habits from my own moderator-days, some years ago. Moderator on a gaming clan's forum, the most junior of the large team. we each moderated as many as 5 forums, and being a clan forum, quite busy. Finding out-of-place threads was the biggest no-no of the lot.
the next-biggest was using Leet speak on the forums, except to educate newbies on what in-game leet speak actually meant, and we had a FAQ for that too.

Dam! now I'm even more OT! :p

Vold

Report this Jul. 09 2009, 6:56 am

I like the story, graphics are as great as ever, etc.
only a few things i don't like which are totally unnecessary.

Interesting scenes where humans change their clothes, it is the human version of transformation. ;)

I like how Prime & supposedly any bot to use other bot's parts to create new addons.
1st time any Transformers show them taking a form of a human (without it being a freak accident).

Since they introduce their nano tech. ability compare to their old series counterparts, i guess it is inevitable.
The idea is fine, but the way they show her act had a feel of Terminator when she walks.

Camorite

Report this Jul. 09 2009, 9:18 am

i definatly agree that the human decepticon (which i have dubbed the deceptichick) definatly had the familar feeling of the TX from Rise of the Machines. But i did think that the references to the old Anal Probe thing, not to mention the toung lashed that she gave to Sam were pretty funny momments in the movie, at least IMO.

captbates

Report this Jul. 09 2009, 9:34 am

It's entertaining enough especially Miss Fox, but Transformers 2 is one of the cheesiest films I've ever seen.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jul. 09 2009, 10:26 am

Quote (Camorite @ July 09 2009, 9:18 am)

Hi Camorite. You should patent the term Deceptichick. ¿:D I was totally surprise to find out that girl (Isabel Lucas) was a Decepticon. Also, I wonder why Bumble Bee did not know that she was a Decepticon before she got into him (in car mode) with Sam?

captbates

Report this Jul. 09 2009, 12:42 pm

Quote (BrotherofShran01 @ July 08 2009, 3:26 pm)
Quote (Camorite @ July 09 2009, 9:18 am)

Hi Camorite. You should patent the term Deceptichick. ?:D I was totally surprise to find out that girl (Isabel Lucas) was a Decepticon. Also, I wonder why Bumble Bee did not know that she was a Decepticon before she got into him (in car mode) with Sam?

Maybe he did? remember what happened to her in the car.