Federation Cloaking Device

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 8:59 am

If the Federation and Romulan Empire went to all out war, would the agreement that the Federation not employ cloaking devices be null and void? And, would the Federation begin using cloaking devices?

Sevrin

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 9:02 am

considering there have been future ships with cloaking devices (All Good Things..., Enterprise D has a cloak) I would guess eventually it would become null and void anyway and cloaking devices would come as standard.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 9:07 am

Quote (Commander_Zelkar @ June 29 2009, 8:59 am)

I would like to think so. I am against the Treaty of Algeron anyway, so I would installing interphasic cloaking devices on all Federation starships and fully fund cloaking technology research.

DarthRage

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 9:27 am

What specific reasons was the technology banned in the first place? Not out of some misguided sense it considered "cheating" or "immoral" I hope.

Sevrin

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 9:41 am

the treaty of Algeron is the official reason for 'banning' the cloaking device, but yes originally it was explained that the Federation didn't use them out of principle, but with Roddenbury's death that changed, along with many other changes.

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 9:48 am

Quote (BrotherofShran01 @ June 29 2009, 9:07 am)
Quote (Commander_Zelkar @ June 29 2009, 8:59 am)

Seems like the Federation got the short end of the stick with this treaty.

The Federation could also develop better technology for detecting cloaked ships. Since shields cannot be employed while cloaked, they could inflict considerable damage on a cloaked ship.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 2:03 pm

Quote (DarthRage @ June 29 2009, 9:27 am)

Here is a link ot info on the Treaty of Algeron.

Khoufu_Khorushu

Report this Jun. 29 2009, 11:29 pm

In 'All Good Things...' they used one, though not everything in the future of that episode is canon, like Data. In a TOS episode, they stole a Romulan cloaking device from a ship when they were using the Klingon-design ships. I think they would use them.

ssmukhi

Report this Jun. 30 2009, 2:46 am

Quote (Sevrin @ June 29 2009, 9:02 pm)

Also The Defiant.

thereR4lights

Report this Jun. 30 2009, 3:01 am

all good things future wont happen... so who knows

the defiants cloak cost the federation to much in my opinion... romulans got a lot of info

if we hadnt tricked them in to fighting with us in the dominion war and they sided with them... there info could have crushed the federation

Sevrin

Report this Jun. 30 2009, 3:18 am

With the events of Nemesis the Romulan empire must be weakened (I've not seen the film, but I got that impression from the memort alpha article) so it is entirely possible that the treaty could be recinded or renegotiated. However I seriously doubt we will get any more stuff from the Prime timeline now that they have caught the 'we must remake everything' bug :grr:

ssmukhi

Report this Jun. 30 2009, 3:30 am

Quote (Sevrin @ June 30 2009, 3:18 pm)

In the Prime timeline, Romulus is destroyed.

thereR4lights

Report this Jun. 30 2009, 3:31 am

i like the new time line... and you should too ;)

Commander_Zelkar

Report this Jun. 30 2009, 9:21 am

Quote (ssmukhi @ June 30 2009, 2:46 am)
Quote (Sevrin @ June 29 2009, 9:02 pm)

Also The Defiant.

The Defiant did have a cloaking device for a period of time, but only under the close supervision of the Romulan empire. They stationed an officer on the Defiant to operate it.

lostshaker

Report this Jun. 30 2009, 10:37 am

In regards to a cloaking device, I certainly hope that the Captain of the Enterprise would address the Federation Council and say, "Starfleet does not sneak around the galaxy!"

It clearly goes against Roddenberry's wishes to have Starfleet vessels armed with cloaking technology.  I for one applauded when the Defiant got destroyed and the cloaking device was lost.  Was happy when Sisko got a second ship without a cloaking device.

Users browsing this forum: miklamar