Nichelle Nichols Reaction

Vger23

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 10:31 am

From "Trekmovie.com"

Nichols seen New Star Trek twice

Nichelle Nichols, the original Uhura, tells the Iowa Gazette that she has seen JJ Abrams Star Trek twice and plans to see it ¿two or three more times.¿ Nichelle is particularly impressed with Zoe Saldana. From the article:

¿When I see her come on, that¿s me and I¿m living it,¿ she says. ¿A little ways into the movie I realized she had taken to heart what I said and became more reserved and tighter. I¿m so proud of her. She took a role that was established and gave it life.

¿Now I know who I was before I got on that ship for that first mission. It¿s so exciting for me and rewarding.

¿J.J. and she did me honor,¿ Nichols says. ¿J.J. with his casting did all his characters honor. It¿s so nice to see Spock back in the future.¿

And PLEASE, before the obligatory 5 or 6 responses saying the following:

1. Well, if you read between the lines, she really didn't like the movie.

2. Of course she answers that way. She was paid by Paramount or JJ Abrams to do so

3. She is just saying that to avoid burning any bridges

4. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

...understand that I'm not posting this to rub salt in your wound, prove a point, illustrate how awesome the movie is, or show just how "wrong" your opinion is. So, relax, calm down, try to imagine a world where you don't have to feel like you need to justify your opinion, and save yourself the embarassment of a foolish response.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 10:37 am

They must have paid her a lot for her to have seen it twice! :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Truthfully, I think she saw the depth in the character that I saw. I think this new movie gave Uhura depth that she didn't have in the series...

I will duck and run for cover now.

lion_tone

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 11:07 am

All those has-beens need dough, and they are on the U.S.S. Gravytrain warping to planet J.J. We know she hated it...

24thcenstfan

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 11:17 am

Read this a little while ago.  Its nice to hear from "the old guard".

rocketscientist

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 11:48 am

Glad Nichelle liked it! ¿

Though her character was obviously not given a role as important in the original series as was the case in this new film, Zoe Saldana owes a lot to Nichelle Nichols for being on TV in a conspicuous role during the civil rights movement (and sticking with it at the request of Dr. Martin Luthor King). ¿She was one of those performers who really did help break barriers and, consequently, I have a lot of respect and admiration for her.

And, even though Saldana's Uhura had a bigger role, like the other characters, that character begins with Nichelle Nichols' Uhura.  She should feel proud of her work and her legacy.

axilmar1

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:02 pm

There is no public figure that has put out a negative response so far for this movie. I wonder why.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:06 pm

Quote (axilmar1 @ June 27 2009, 2:02 am)

Occam's Razor?

Because they liked it?

Do I get a prize?  :laugh:

rocketscientist

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:14 pm

Quote (Mirrorgirl @ June 26 2009, 12:06 pm)
Quote (axilmar1 @ June 27 2009, 2:02 am)

Occam's Razor?

Because they liked it?

Do I get a prize? ¿:laugh:

Well, color me impressed, Mirrorgirl!   :laugh:

You get the blue-ribbon for that reference.

It's more applicable than the silly Galileo analogy that was recently posted.

axilmar1

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:20 pm

Quote (Mirrorgirl @ June 26 2009, 12:06 pm)
Quote (axilmar1 @ June 27 2009, 2:02 am)

Occam's Razor?

Because they liked it?

Do I get a prize? ¿:laugh:

Perhaps they liked it, perhaps they do not want to express their negative view in public.

But even if they all like it, it still does not make STXI a good movie.

axilmar1

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:21 pm

Quote (rocketscientist @ June 26 2009, 12:14 pm)
Quote (Mirrorgirl @ June 26 2009, 12:06 pm)
Quote (axilmar1 @ June 27 2009, 2:02 am)

Occam's Razor?

Because they liked it?

Do I get a prize? ?:laugh:

Well, color me impressed, Mirrorgirl! ¿ :laugh:

You get the blue-ribbon for that reference. ¿

It's more applicable than the silly Galileo analogy that was recently posted.

It wasn't an analogy, but let's not get that in your way.

frimmel

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:33 pm

Quote (axilmar1 @ June 26 2009, 12:02 pm)

I speculate in the case of the 'old guard' (i.e. all past casts) that they may have in fact liked it or they feel that saying they didn't like it will just sound like sour grapes. I suspect that no matter their true opinion of JJ Trek they don't feel it is in their best intrests to say they didn't like it.

Mirrorgirl

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:39 pm

Quote (rocketscientist @ June 27 2009, 2:14 am)
Quote (Mirrorgirl @ June 26 2009, 12:06 pm)
Quote (axilmar1 @ June 27 2009, 2:02 am)

Occam's Razor?

Because they liked it?

Do I get a prize? ?:laugh:

Well, color me impressed, Mirrorgirl! ¿ :laugh:

You get the blue-ribbon for that reference. ¿

It's more applicable than the silly Galileo analogy that was recently posted.

Yay, thanks RS  :cool:

axilmar1

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 12:47 pm

Quote (frimmel @ June 26 2009, 12:33 pm)
Quote (axilmar1 @ June 26 2009, 12:02 pm)

Exactly. Any rational, mature person would have understood that ;-).

SpaceTherapist

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 1:11 pm

Quote (axilmar1 @ June 25 2009, 1:47 pm)
Quote (frimmel @ June 26 2009, 12:33 pm)
Quote (axilmar1 @ June 26 2009, 12:02 pm)

Exactly. Any rational, mature person would have understood that ;-).

I was watching Shatner who is co-hosting with Regis this morning. They had Ray Romano on and they were talking about the new Star Trek movie. Ray had seen it and loved it and both Regis and Shatner said they have not seen it yet.

Regis laughed and said he is boycotting it because Shatner isn't in it.

I wonder if it is true that Shatner hasn't seen it?

DammitJim6200

Report this Jun. 26 2009, 2:24 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ June 25 2009, 11:31 am)
From "Trekmovie.com"

Nichols seen New Star Trek twice

Nichelle Nichols, the original Uhura, tells the Iowa Gazette that she has seen JJ Abrams Star Trek twice and plans to see it ?two or three more times.? Nichelle is particularly impressed with Zoe Saldana. From the article:

?When I see her come on, that?s me and I?m living it,? she says. ?A little ways into the movie I realized she had taken to heart what I said and became more reserved and tighter. I?m so proud of her. She took a role that was established and gave it life.

?Now I know who I was before I got on that ship for that first mission. It?s so exciting for me and rewarding.

?J.J. and she did me honor,? Nichols says. ?J.J. with his casting did all his characters honor. It?s so nice to see Spock back in the future.?

And PLEASE, before the obligatory 5 or 6 responses saying the following:

1. Well, if you read between the lines, she really didn't like the movie.

3. She is just saying that to avoid burning any bridges

4. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

If I was Nichelle I'd be highly offended at How Zoe Saldana portrayed Uhura,
imagine, she forced her way on the Enterprise, forced her way on Spock,
she totally destroyed Uhura. :sick: