Bilingualism increase Intelligence

loveroftrekmen

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 1:23 am

In the field of Applied Linguistics and Linguistics, research has shown that bilinguals show remarkably higher marks across the board of all subjects from Math to English etc.

Bilingualism will increase intelligence and improve our countries place in the world in many ways.

So, what two languages should Americans learn in their school system?

PrepareToBeBoarded

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 2:13 am

Quote (loveroftrekmen @ June 23 2009, 1:23 am)

Are you sure it's not the case that those who just happened to be smarter are also more likely to learn two languages? Or are you saying that these particular people grew up knowing two languages?

Either way, Spanish will be involved as far as the school system goes.

Sodo

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 2:37 am

Quote (PrepareToBeBoarded @ June 22 2009, 11:13 pm)
Quote (loveroftrekmen @ June 23 2009, 1:23 am)

Either way, Spanish will be involved as far as the school system goes.

I should think it's just that smarter people are more likely to be bilingual. I don't think speaking German in addition to English will help your testing in Math...

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 4:27 am

Quote (Sodo @ June 22 2009, 11:37 pm)
Quote (PrepareToBeBoarded @ June 22 2009, 11:13 pm)
Quote (loveroftrekmen @ June 23 2009, 1:23 am)

Either way, Spanish will be involved as far as the school system goes.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be surprising that if one has facility in multiple languages that one's ability in Math may also be high since both intelligences (Linguistic and Logical)come from the same general area of the brain?

Or, at least that's what they used to think.

Goodchild

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 4:36 am

Being bi-lingual also has cultural aspects that may have another dimension of learning in regards to the solving of answers or mathematical equations.

ssmukhi

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 4:47 am

Many Indians or Filipinos are not only bilingual but trilingual. That does not necessarily make them smarter.

Goodchild

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 4:49 am

Quote (ssmukhi @ June 23 2009, 12:47 am)

Could it be more of a dialect? I can see the advantageous especially with people in Europe. There hasn't been one person from central Europe that I know that know's less than 3 language's. Darn awesome and their demeanor is different.

ssmukhi

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 5:39 am

Quote (Goodchild @ June 23 2009, 4:49 pm)
Quote (ssmukhi @ June 23 2009, 12:47 am)

Some dialects are so different they could be classified as languages themselves.

Kdbtrekkin

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 5:40 am

It seems that spanish and possibly chinese would be a good language to know. And yes I do believe knowing more languages makes you smarter, to what degree, not sure.  but the more you know would be even better. I have a cousin who speaks 5 languages, and she's a double master. To me. pretty  :cool:

Goodchild

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 5:56 am

Quote (ssmukhi @ June 23 2009, 1:39 am)
Quote (Goodchild @ June 23 2009, 4:49 pm)
Quote (ssmukhi @ June 23 2009, 12:47 am)

I agree.

It's not just the dialect, but the culture. That is why Europe is kind of ahead in some ways.

They have to deal with all of the issue's and diveristy in extreme conditions.

chickadee

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 8:06 am

I'm bilingual...I guess that makes me smart

Goodchild

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 8:08 am

Quote (chickadee @ June 23 2009, 4:06 am)
I'm bilingual...I guess that makes me smart

KFC or Red Rooster?

:p

BirdofPrey101

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 9:06 am

Quote (PrepareToBeBoarded @ June 23 2009, 2:13 am)
Either way, Spanish will be involved as far as the school system goes.

Spanish and French has been the primary languages taught in the public school system for at least 40+ years.

German was a course language mostly for business oriented students.....at least in my high school it was.

It would be interesting to see if Chinese will ever find it's way into the classroom...given the global economy and such.

chickadee

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 9:11 am

Quote (Goodchild @ June 23 2009, 8:08 am)
Quote (chickadee @ June 23 2009, 4:06 am)
I'm bilingual...I guess that makes me smart

KFC or Red Rooster?

:p

huh?

akebono62

POSTS: 19767

Report this Jun. 23 2009, 9:19 am

Quote (chickadee @ June 23 2009, 6:11 am)
Quote (Goodchild @ June 23 2009, 8:08 am)
Quote (chickadee @ June 23 2009, 4:06 am)
I'm bilingual...I guess that makes me smart

KFC or Red Rooster?

:p

huh?

Maybe the poster doesn't realize that a chickadee is different from a chicken.

I believe the poster wants to know what dialect of chicken you speak, since you're bilingual.

Users browsing this forum: DS9TREK