Picard's Bad Attitude Towards Q

SheherazadeQ

Report this Jun. 19 2009, 2:20 pm

Does anyone else feel like Picard was excessively short with Q? I mean yeah, Q was really obnoxious and did some really retarded things, but over half the things that Picard says to Q are "get off my ship" "get off my bridge" and the like; and Picard seems not to realize that Q doesn't respond to that- If he would have been less petulant, some of the things might not have happened, such as in Qpid- if Picard had just said "your gift to me can be leaving the Enterprise forever" or even "I would like socks" instead of refusing to listen to Q and ordering him off the ship, the whole Robin Hood deal might not have happened. Granted it would not have been as fun, but there you go.

Please feel free to agree or disagree.

havenbull

Report this Jun. 19 2009, 3:57 pm

As a direct result of Q's actions, 18 people lost their lives on the Enterprise D in Encounter at Farpoint.  Clearly this would make Picard wary each time he sees Q

SheherazadeQ

Report this Jun. 19 2009, 5:58 pm

Actually I think 18 people died in "Q Who," but in that case, Q requested to join the crew of the Enterprise (before anyone died) and Picard just kept telling him to get off the ship and leave them alone. I mean, Picard could have asked Q to clean the floors if he wanted to, Q even said something to that effect. The loss of life by encountering the Borg could easily have been avoided with some talking on Picard's part.

challengerdyer

Report this Jun. 19 2009, 9:45 pm

Sisko punched Q in the face and he only showed up on DS9 that one time! And that was the 7th episode!

SheherazadeQ

Report this Jun. 19 2009, 11:49 pm

Yes, Sisko was much more easily angered than Picard, as Q mentioned after that bit took place. And I do think that was a little violent. However since Sisko had less time dealing with Q, he wouldn't have had time to learn things that Picard might have- such as evaluate what Q wants and give a clever answer which solves the problem instead of childishly repeating the command to leave him alone.
I hope I addressed your point...

thereR4lights

Report this Jun. 20 2009, 1:22 am

two words

the borg.......

i think picard might be a little upset

thereR4lights

Report this Jun. 20 2009, 1:23 am

two words

the borg.......

i think picard might be a little upset :angry:

apothecary

Report this Jun. 20 2009, 9:48 am

Picard had absolutely no use for Q, and wanted nothing to do with him.  Doing anything other than ordering him off the ship/bridge etc, was a waste of time as far as Picard was concerned, and was tantamount to playing along with Q's games.

challengerdyer

Report this Jun. 20 2009, 1:51 pm

I have to disagree here. I think that by the end of the show, Picard actually had a "friendship" with Q. It might just be me. I know all about the 18 deaths in "Q-Who?", but watch "Tapestry", again.  I think these two are "friends" in some manner by this point.

Don't forget, Q hit Sisko at least twice BEFORE Sisko knocked him down.  Q just felt Sisko wasn't going to be as much fun as Picard.  He visited Janeway, what, 3 times?

Khoufu_Khorushu

Report this Jun. 20 2009, 3:52 pm

"'Ceased my vessel, ceased my vessel.' Is that all you can say, Piccard?"
Yes, I think Piccard was a little much on Q, but it's understandable I guess.

SheherazadeQ

Report this Jun. 21 2009, 1:10 am

Quote (thereR4lights @ June 20 2009, 1:23 am)
two words

the borg.......

i think picard might be a little upset :angry:

As I mentioned before, the whole borg situation could have been avoided.
The whole reason they even met the borg is because Q saw Picard's repeated assertion that the crew was totally prepared for anything 'out there' as arrogant. Picard could have admitted that they didn't know what they were going to encounter and were expecting to grow and learn from those experiences (which is closer to the truth anyway).

And yes, I can see Picard not wanting to 'play along' with Q's games, but conflict (and subsequent losses) should be avoided when possible, not escalated by what is apparently pride and impatience. I would think that Picard of all people would understand that.
Sometimes it is necessary to play games when not playing could have consequences for you and/or your crew.

thereR4lights

Report this Jun. 21 2009, 2:02 am

Quote (SheherazadeQ @ June 21 2009, 1:10 am)
Quote (thereR4lights @ June 20 2009, 1:23 am)
two words

the borg.......

i think picard might be a little upset :angry:

As I mentioned before, the whole borg situation could have been avoided.

ok...... how many deaths are the borg resposible for, and assimilated humans count. picard never fully recovered from being lacutus. it was a game for Q, but not for the human race, sure the crew was ignorant and arogant, but Q forced them into a situation, as a game, that had dire, dire consiquences.

SheherazadeQ

Report this Jun. 21 2009, 2:55 am

Okay, I think I my have obscured my original point: That Q would not have "forced" the Enterprise crew into the situation with the Borg if Picard had not claimed to be prepared for the unknown (something which he and everyone else should have known to be untrue). Yes, the situation itself was terrible, the deaths numerous, but my point is that though Q initiated the contact with the Borg, Picard should have known better than to even get into that argument and make that claim- the provocation for Q's actions. Not that said actions were appropriate (they weren't) or that the deaths were not Q's fault (they were); but that by simple communication, Picard might have bypassed the Borg encounter for the time being.

thereR4lights

Report this Jun. 21 2009, 3:47 am

agreed, but Q was playing a game with an insugneficant species, wich just happened to be humans... kinda sucked for us

Sevrin

Report this Jun. 21 2009, 5:58 am

'I think the lady doth protest to much.' (or whatever the correct wording is)

I am not a steeped in TNG fandom as I have been in other fandoms, but I don't think the dynamic between Picard and Q was out of the ordinary, and I must say that Picard could have been more understanding, but in Tapestry espesially there is an under-current of something else. Picard is facinated with Q and doesn't want to be because he is dangerous, (Picard might even say this at one point, I'm not sure), and I don't know about any of you but that always makes me want to get away from the person who causes such feelings. At the very least I would conatantly protest that I didn't want that person around, especially if secretly I actually did.

(And I'm not saying it's UST, though that is one way of looking at it)