More from Leonard Nimoy

rocketscientist

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 1:25 pm

From a NY Times interview with Nimoy.  Nothing really new here, but Nimoy goes into the whole GEN debacle again , where he turned down Rick Berman's (the producer's) offer to direct and appear in GEN because he felt the script was bad.  He was right on the money in that regard, especially with regard to what he talks about here, how the characters of Spock and Kirk were treated in that script.

Apparently, after that, despite Nimoy wanting and interested in re-appearing as Spock again, Berman never called him.  Nimoy said in a previous interview that he felt marginalized, indicating he would've liked to have contributed to the franchise again, probably as Spock, or maybe even as a director.  He said he would've done GEN if they'd brought him onboard in the beginning so he could oversee the writing process, like he had with TSFS, TVH, and TUC.

Many fans have wondered why Spock was not in NEM.  The writer, John Logan, said there was no place for the character in his story.  I don't subscribe to that belief.

Q:I've heard that you were approached over the years to portray Spock in other "Trek" projects and declined. How were you persuaded to appear in the new film?

LN:When they made the first Generations film, there was one scene where all the original cast was included, including Spock. But the Spock dialogue was not Spock character dialogue. It was expositional dialogue that had nothing to do with the Spock character. And I said to the producer at the time: "There's no real Spock character in this film. You can distribute those lines amongst anyone else in the scene and it wouldn't make any difference." I did not appear in that film. That's the film in which they killed Captain Kirk, I thought rather gratuitously. There was no reason for doing that.

I had not been asked to play Spock ever since then, until J. J. Abrams contacted me for this movie. I had a wonderful meeting with J. J. and Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the writers. They spoke intelligently and very passionately about what "Star Trek" was for them. And it really put me back in touch with what I felt was the best of what "Star Trek" and Spock were when we were making the original shows. They wrote a very exciting script - I think it's obvious that it's a very big movie, but it's also a very touching and very personal movie. There's a great heart at the center of it.

Q:May I nerd out on you for one moment? Your character in the new "Star Trek" is called Spock Prime - is that in the celestial sense, meaning the largest or most important? Or in the mathematical sense, meaning a derivative or a piece of something larger?

LN:I think it's in the celestial sense. [laughs] I kind of like it. It gives a dignified presentation of the character.

chickadee

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 1:26 pm

I think whether or not a script was bad is an opinion. I personaly liked the movie Generations

Vger23

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 1:32 pm

Quote (chickadee @ June 17 2009, 1:26 pm)

I liked Generations to some extent too...but even the writers (Moore and Braga) have admitted that the script is not very good.

So, certainly it is ALWAYS an opinion when it comes to whether something is quality or not...but I think that says a lot...

chickadee

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 1:36 pm

Quote (Vger23 @ June 17 2009, 1:32 pm)
Quote (chickadee @ June 17 2009, 1:26 pm)

but it's they're opinion that it's not very good. In my opinion it IS good. I realy liked that movie.

Vger23

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 1:38 pm

Quote (chickadee @ June 17 2009, 1:36 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ June 17 2009, 1:32 pm)
Quote (chickadee @ June 17 2009, 1:26 pm)

And that's all that matters! Entertainment value is a completely subjective experience...!

:cool:

chickadee

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 2:27 pm

is it possible to keep all these snippets of interviews in one single thread instead of starting a new thread for each one Rocketscientist?

exeter276

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 2:35 pm

What confuses me is how Nimoy bashes the script of Generations and refused to appear /direct, but he could sign off on ST XI with plot holes so large you could drive three Doomsday Machines through it.

Vger23

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 2:35 pm

Quote (chickadee @ June 17 2009, 2:27 pm)

Might I ask why?

Vger23

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 2:37 pm

Quote (exeter276 @ June 17 2009, 2:35 pm)

Because there were even larger plotholes in Generations and apparently the Star Trek XI script applealed to him on a personal level, just as it apparently did to many others.

HDent

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 2:37 pm

Quote (exeter276 @ June 17 2009, 2:35 pm)

Abrams and co. offered alot more money to Nimoy then Berman did.

chickadee

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 2:39 pm

Quote (HDent @ June 17 2009, 2:37 pm)
Quote (exeter276 @ June 17 2009, 2:35 pm)

Abrams and co. offered alot more money to Nimoy then Berman did.

maybe

chickadee

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 2:48 pm

we don't realy know anything about anything behind the scenes

Targallian

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 3:10 pm

I'll be seeing Nimoy next Saturday at the Tulsa Trek Expo. I've seen him three times before, but never right after a new movie release. I'm looking forward to it.

CherryBomb

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 3:55 pm

Quote (chickadee @ June 17 2009, 1:36 pm)
Quote (Vger23 @ June 17 2009, 1:32 pm)
Quote (chickadee @ June 17 2009, 1:26 pm)

I think the writers saying it sucks kinda trumps the average viewers opinion  :laugh:

duderanch18237

Report this Jun. 17 2009, 5:30 pm

Quote (rocketscientist @ June 17 2009, 1:25 pm)
From a NY Times interview with Nimoy. ¿Nothing really new here, but Nimoy goes into the whole GEN debacle again , where he turned down Rick Berman's (the producer's) offer to direct and appear in GEN because he felt the script was bad. ¿He was right on the money in that regard, especially with regard to what he talks about here, how the characters of Spock and Kirk were treated in that script.

Apparently, after that, despite Nimoy wanting and interested in re-appearing as Spock again, Berman never called him. ¿Nimoy said in a previous interview that he felt marginalized, indicating he would've liked to have contributed to the franchise again, probably as Spock, or maybe even as a director. ¿He said he would've done GEN if they'd brought him onboard in the beginning so he could oversee the writing process, like he had with TSFS, TVH, and TUC. ¿

Many fans have wondered why Spock was not in NEM. ¿The writer, John Logan, said there was no place for the character in his story. ¿I don't subscribe to that belief. ¿

Spock could also have appeared in the last couple of seasons of TNG or even in DS9. ¿

Again, Nimoy seems to think he didn't get that call because of Berman, either because it was personal due Nimoy's words about the GEN script and his refusal to appear in and direct it, or because, as Free Enterprise and former sci-fi reporter Mark Altman alludes, Berman has no love for ST (the original) and didn't want Spock to eclipse his own beloved characters. ¿

With the new film I felt many of Spock's lines could have been given to any other character in the film. Just my two cents of course.

God, I wish I had enjoyed it as much as the rest of you, but I couldn't look past alot of things. Sucks to be me. Still great that so many people enjoyed it and Trek is thriving again, and I'll still be there opening week for the next film as well.