Carbon Creek

DATA476

Report this Apr. 26 2009, 5:09 pm

Season: Two
Air Date: 25.09.2002
Episode: Twenty Seven
Synopsis: T'Pol's recollection of the Vulcans' first encounter with Humans conflicts with what Archer and Trip learned from history books.
Rating: 4.4

My View: Wow. Let's have more episodes like this... This episode provided a great sense of a wonderful story...

The story is fascinating in many ways, perhaps the most being the thought that some sentient beings have actually been here without us knowing or "some" of us not knowing. The Vulcans run out of rations and in order to survive they find they have no choice but to interact with humans so they will not starve to death. The interactions that come about from this are really well written and acted out. The introduction of velcro is really a clever twist and although the writers have taken the liberties of changing facts a bit, this is a fiction piece and these parts make the story work. This episode is perhaps the first classic Enterprise episode and may even qualify as a classic Star Trek episode in general.

I was generally very pleased with this one!

What are your views on "Carbon Creek".

Ndirsch11

Report this Apr. 26 2009, 5:59 pm

"Carbon Creek" is a decent episode but it's not very ambitious.  It winds up being a lighthearted trifle with some brief, but funny moments.  It's always fun to see aliens interacting in an unfamiliar environment and on that basis, this episode works.  But they could have done so much more with this premise.  First of all, this episode is another example of Enterprise's ethnocentricity.  Why have the Vulcans crash land in a small town in Pennsylvania?  Why not Siberia?  Why not India?  Or someplace else?  Why do all Star Trek stories that take place on Earth always revolve around the North American continent?  Secondly, this is a very idealized vision of life in 1950's America.  The Vulcans have no trouble finding employment in this small town and nobody is genuinely suspicious of them.  Lucky them!  In fact, they were a lot luckier than millions of other people at the time who had to deal with institutionalized racism.  This whole episode could have somehow dealt with the social problems of the time in an intelligent manner.  But instead, the writers did something much simpler and less interesting.  Oh, well.

Admiral_JTK

Report this Apr. 26 2009, 9:57 pm

I wouldnt mind so much, if her son would just stop calling me "Moe".

Classic.

HairyGeekMan

Report this Apr. 26 2009, 10:00 pm

It's one of the few episodes of ENT that I enjoyed, although I'm not sure why.  It was fun and campy.

grigori

Report this Apr. 26 2009, 10:27 pm

It appeared, from this episode, that in spite of all her protestations to the contrary, T'Pol felt some sort of connection with Earth and humans--possibly even a fond nostalgia?--before ever stepping FOOT on Enterprise. It's nice how knowing this colors what we've seen of her career.

ENT567

Report this Apr. 27 2009, 6:43 am

I [heart] Carbon Creek.

TwoOfThirteen

Report this Apr. 27 2009, 12:59 pm

The actual inventor of velcro was named Mestral :)

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Apr. 27 2009, 3:03 pm

Quote (Yanks @ April 27 2009, 10:17 am)
Quote (TwoOfThirteen @ April 27 2009, 12:59 pm)
The actual inventor of velcro was named Mestral :)

:O :laugh: :laugh:
I didn't know that!!
George de Mestral

:cool:

Thats what they want us to believe! It's part of a conspiracy I tell ya!!!!!   ;)  :sarcastic:

This is on of my favorite episodes of all of TREK  a great story and acting. Ties for first with IAMD  for the best episode of ENT.

:cool:  :logical:

Serit

Report this Apr. 27 2009, 3:13 pm

Quote (Yanks @ April 27 2009, 2:45 pm)
Quote (trekbuff @ April 27 2009, 2:17 pm)
Quote (Yanks @ April 26 2009, 9:20 pm)
Quote (trekbuff @ April 26 2009, 5:26 pm)
Carbon Creek was probably my favorite episode of the series and easily falls within my favorite top ten from all of the Trek saga.

I didn't see this before I posted mine. How about that TB, we're both on the same page with this one :cool:

That ending with T'Pol and the handbag made me get out of my seat and proclaim, "Now that's Trek!" Not once, but several times...

Have to admit, that was a "Yanks gets choked up Star Trek moment". :cry: That, and when Maggie found the money in the jar...

...who knew that Vulcans could be sentimental, or nostalgic, or even altruistic...

"Carbon Creek" is one of my favorites as well, and shows the best kind of character-based storytelling that Trek has always excelled at--and also, the 'right' kind of "time travel"--a tale of the past related in the present, the oldest kind of storytelling there is on Earth (or any other planet, for that matter).

T'Pol's great-grandmother had to have told her the story when she gave her the purse. It's possible that T'Pol visited Carbon Creek to find out what happened to Billy and try to track down where Mestral went after the rescue ship came. You have to wonder if the scriptwriter/s actually checked who invented Velcro! :laugh:

BTW, another great episode--for completely different reasons-- is Extinction, and before people groan, it isn't the story so much as the actors who pulled this one off the grill. Scott Bakula, Dominic Keating, and Linda Park allegedly had about a half-hour to create a "backstory" for the aliens because there wasn't anything in the script, and they devised the vocalizations, movements, etc.

I've watched a lot of public TV documentaries in my life, and many on the cable "documentary" channels (TLC, Discovery, NatGeo, History, etc.--you know who they are! ). I'm rather certain that Jane Goodall and the late Dian Fossey would recognize many of the alien-primate behaviors of the Loque'eque.

I think that is proof of just how intelligent, resourceful, and talented Bakula, Keating, and Park are--and oh, yeah, LeVar Burton directed, and he's no slouch in the smarts department, either.

...and the writers still got in a sly dig at the end of the ep about Reed's sensitive digestion!

ENT567

Report this Apr. 27 2009, 4:18 pm

Can you give some reference to TOS in this case? I don't remember anything like that in TOS.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Apr. 28 2009, 1:48 am

Quote (DATA476 @ April 25 2009, 6:09 pm)
Season: Two
Air Date: 25.09.2002
Episode: Twenty Seven
Rating: 4.4

I was generally very pleased with this one!

What are your views on "Carbon Creek".

Carbon Creek is definitely one of my favorite Enterprise episodes. I especially loved the part about the Vulcans giving velcro to the humans  :laugh:

ENTONE

Report this Apr. 29 2009, 8:09 pm

Hello,
      Carbon Creek epitomizes Star Trek's true strength, story telling. This episode is truly touching (T'POL leaving the College tuition in the jar) and humourous (3 Stooges and I Love Lucy references). It also shows T'POL'S attempt at getting closer to her crewmates by telling them the story of her ancestor. It's a great episode and ranks #2 on my favourite ENTERPRISE episodes list.

grigori

Report this Apr. 29 2009, 8:12 pm

hey welcome Entone
I, too, wondered about T'Pol's motivations in choosing to share this particular story. She did cross a thresh-hold with them; it was nice.

Serit

Report this Apr. 29 2009, 10:22 pm

Quote (grigori @ April 29 2009, 8:12 pm)
Hey, welcome Entone!
I, too, wondered about T'Pol's motivations in choosing to share this particular story. She did cross a threshhold with them; it was nice.

I think it marked a turning point, where T'Pol decided that she was going to fight to stay aboard NX-01 regardless of what the Vulcan High Command wanted to do to her.

She had already gone through the stuff in "The Andorian Incident," "Shadows of P'Jem," and "Fusion," and Archer had made up his mind that she was a good officer, a valuable resource, and a 'sounding board' for his decisions.

...also, she fingured out how to work that pesky Human thing called 'humor' in "Acquisition"...

BrotherofShran01

Report this Apr. 29 2009, 10:29 pm

Quote (Yanks @ April 29 2009, 5:29 pm)
Couple shot for visual effect. Some of the humor I was speaking of earlier.

"What?" :laugh:

Thanks for the pic Yanks. This was a great episode. :cool:

Users browsing this forum: Commander_Zelkar, darmokattanagra, Commander_Zelkar, darmokattanagra