A strange request

SpaceTherapist

Report this Jan. 13 2009, 2:25 pm

I have this 8 inch diecast medal model of the enterprise but the base which attaches at the bottom is broken.

Does anyone have an extra base for this or any creative ideas on how I could display this?

Thanks.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Jan. 13 2009, 2:46 pm

What part of the base is broken?

TrekkieForAsimov

Report this Jan. 13 2009, 4:07 pm

If it's a plastic base, I suggest you use an epoxy to fix it.  If it's a solid color plastic base, then that's real easy.  Just go to a hobby store, buy some modeling epoxy.  It usually comes in a tube, tends to be gray or white, and is a semi solid substance like toothpaste (maybe a little dryer).  You put a little bit of a glop on it, let it ooze out the edges, and wait to dry.  After it dries, you file it down (I use the files on fingernail clippers).  Smooth it out without scratching the OTHER plastic, and then paint over it.  If you don't mind painting over the entire plastic, then just smooth it out, apply a paint primer, and then use a glossy spray paint.

If you do it right you won't be able to tell it was broken.  ^_^

SpaceTherapist

Report this Jan. 13 2009, 4:15 pm

Quote (Vice_Adm_Baxter @ Jan. 13 2009, 2:46 pm)
What part of the base is broken?

The part of the base that broke was the tiny little tab that sticks into the bottom of the ship.

TrekkieForAsimov

Thanks for the tip. But I forgot to mention the base is gone, it was thrown out about a year ago when my wife and I moved.

TrekkieForAsimov

Report this Jan. 13 2009, 6:29 pm

Quote (SpaceTherapist @ Jan. 13 2009, 4:15 pm)
Quote (Vice_Adm_Baxter @ Jan. 13 2009, 2:46 pm)
What part of the base is broken?

TrekkieForAsimov

There are a lot of generic bases out there.  What I suggest you do is you go to a hobby store, check out some of the models.  Look to see if there's a base of similar dimensions.

If the tabs don't fit, that's ok, you can make a molding of a new tab.

IF your model has a female end (which from your description sounds like it does), then you press the sculpy modeling clay into the female portion of the tap, peel off as much as you can while retaining the shape.  Bale the sculpy, file it down.  Sculpy naturally shrinks by around 1-2% I think.  Then proceed to fit the sculpy male end to the new base you just purchased.  Used the epoxy to "glue" the two together.  Prime and paint.

nthdrone

Report this Jan. 13 2009, 8:07 pm

You can also try going to a model shop. You know, a store where they sell those models of airplanes and cars and all that that you assemble yourself. Try that.

SpaceTherapist

Report this Jan. 13 2009, 8:10 pm

Quote (TrekkieForAsimov @ Jan. 13 2009, 6:29 pm)
Quote (SpaceTherapist @ Jan. 13 2009, 4:15 pm)
Quote (Vice_Adm_Baxter @ Jan. 13 2009, 2:46 pm)
What part of the base is broken?

TrekkieForAsimov

There are a lot of generic bases out there. ¿What I suggest you do is you go to a hobby store, check out some of the models. ¿Look to see if there's a base of similar dimensions.

If the tabs don't fit, that's ok, you can make a molding of a new tab.

IF your model has a female end (which from your description sounds like it does), then you press the sculpy modeling clay into the female portion of the tap, peel off as much as you can while retaining the shape. ¿Bale the sculpy, file it down. ¿Sculpy naturally shrinks by around 1-2% I think. ¿Then proceed to fit the sculpy male end to the new base you just purchased. ¿Used the epoxy to "glue" the two together. ¿Prime and paint.

Thanks a million! I will go to my local hobby store.

vgrbabe

Report this Jan. 14 2009, 8:53 am

why is this pinned?

Camorite

Report this Jan. 14 2009, 10:57 pm

If you wanted to try this you could take a small eyebolt and try to stick it in the top of it, then you can turn i into something that you can hang on something, or even a makeshift christmas tree decoration. And if you didn't want to posibly ruin it with the eye bolt, just use a piece of string and some sort of adhesive that can be taken off in the future.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Jan. 14 2009, 11:00 pm

An 8 inch ship is a rather large ornament. The Hallmark Enterprise is about three inches long.

Camorite

Report this Jan. 14 2009, 11:16 pm

I've seen ornaments that large before, it just depends on how heavy it is.

TrekkieForAsimov

Report this Jan. 14 2009, 11:41 pm

Yeah there are some large ornaments.  It might make a good one :D

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Jan. 14 2009, 11:43 pm

I got greif over my three inch Enterprise hanging on the tree :(

fooledagain

Report this Jan. 15 2009, 1:19 am

I'd much rather have a large ornament than a puny 3 incher.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Jan. 15 2009, 1:26 am

Quote (fooledagain @ Jan. 15 2009, 1:19 am)
I'd much rather have a large ornament than a puny 3 incher.

But it has lights