Full Circle

_Roadhog_

Report this Jul. 03 2008, 5:50 pm

FULL CIRCLE
by Kirsten Beyer

I'd like to take the liberty of establishing the "official" thread for this forum, dedicated to the novel which will hopefully re-engerize the Star Trek: Voyager published fiction.
As is well known, the entirety of the dedicated post-Endgame novels has been written by Christie Golden, where the latest was released well over three years ago.

Though (debatably) enjoyable and entertaining in their own right, the four novels penned by Golden have been met with criticism, controversy and, more popularly, disapproval.

Golden herself reports on her own website that Homecoming and The Farther Shore "were bestsellers and were the fastest-selling Trek novels of 2003".  Official statistics aren't known at the time this is written, nor how successful were sales of Old Wounds and Enemy of my Enemy.  Lately, it appears Golden has put the bulk of her time and effort into her own original fantasy works, therefore opening the door for other Trek authors to breathe some new life into Star Trek: Voyager.

Kirsten Beyer is fairly new to the Trek universe, but is no stranger to Voyager; Fusion, the second book in the String Theory trilogy, was released in October of 2005.  Beyer also is credited with "Isabo's Shirt", a short story contained within the Distant Shores anthology.  Frankly, I have much more enjoyed String Theory, as well as Distant Shores, far more than I have the "Golden Quadrilogy".

Fusion I would place among the top-10 Trek novels I have ever read; and this was the first foray into the Trek universe for Beyer.  I do not believe I have ever anticipated the release of a novel like I have for the arrival of Full Circle.  Star Trek: Voyager continues to be my favorite of all the Trek series; I had looked so much forward to the continuing adventures of Voyager and her crew as put forward by Christie Golden, only to have been (at best) disappointed, and at its worst, left feeling nauseated.

With Beyer now taking the reins of the "Voyager Relaunch", I'm confident that this novel will not only correct many of the mistakes made by Golden, but improve upon what has already been established across all the modern Trek series (DS9, Titan, etc.), and fill in some of those gaps many of us have been wondering about.

With less than nine months to go until the (current) release date, I eagerly cross off each day on my calendar until the morning I enter my local book store and see this novel up on the shelf.

Here's to Kirsten Beyer, where as Voyager approaches it's 15th anniversary, I hope will bring the franchise "full circle".

Square

Report this Jul. 05 2008, 12:01 pm

I'll drink to that!

The Golden relaunch blew chunks, to put it mildly. It had a few promising characters, like Lt. Tare and Jarem Kaz, and I love that Golden ditched C/7, but mostly it was.....UGH.

Things I hated:

1. Chakotay has "powers." Lame. It was stupid when Wesley Crusher did it, and it's stupid now.

2. Libby.  At no point during VOY was I thinking, "Golly, I wonder what Libby's doing?" The focus on this character was boring.

3. Moving Harry to security. Harry's not fit for security! Ayala would've been a more intelligent choice for the position.

Anyway, I'm hoping Beyer will breathe new life into this floundering series.

DeltaQuadrantCrew

Report this Jul. 05 2008, 12:49 pm

Fantastic post, Roadhog!

I couldn't agree more.

Darth_Cheddar

Report this Jul. 09 2008, 1:09 pm

Quote (Square @ July 04 2008, 3:01 pm)
2. Libby. ?At no point during VOY was I thinking, "Golly, I wonder what Libby's doing?" The focus on this character was boring.

I think from this day forward, we should use "Golly, I wonder what Libby's doing?" in reference to any useless secondary character. Like any time Kes appears and they don't do anything with her.

vgrbabe

Report this Jul. 11 2008, 1:36 pm

_Roadhog_, my thoughts exactly. I can't wait for this book to come out!

KBeyer

Report this Jul. 13 2008, 11:51 pm

Wow.

Thanks so much for this post and the huge vote of confidence.

Long before I started writing Voyager fiction, I was a fan of the show. Of course it's had its ups and downs in its various forms. All epic stories do. But I've never stopped believing that Voyager gave us some wonderful characters and lots of dynamic storytelling possibilities.

I couldn't possibly be more excited to have been given the opportunity to pick these stories up now. There is lots of ground to cover and many changes coming to the landscape of Trek fiction in which Voyager will once again be playing its part.

For those of you who are excited about what is to come, I highly recommend picking up the crossover event, Destiny coming out in October, November and December of this year. It does feature appearances by some of the Voyager crew and sets the stage for the future of Trek lit.

Full Circle picks up where the Spirit Walk duology left off, and as was announced this weekend at Shoreleave, will by followed by an as of yet untitled second Voyager novel I am writing which will be released in October of 2009.

Hang in there until then. I'm writing as fast as I can.

Best,
Kirsten Beyer

Square

Report this Jul. 14 2008, 1:59 am

Quote (KBeyer @ July 13 2008, 11:51 pm)
Wow.

Thanks so much for this post and the huge vote of confidence.

Hang in there until then. I'm writing as fast as I can.

Best,
Kirsten Beyer

Wow, the woman herself! ¿:cool:

I'm looking forward the the "Destiny" trilogy too, but Full Circle really has my blood going. I haven't read your contribution to the "String Theory" books yet due to time constraints, but it's on my list. I have read "Isabo's Shirt," however, and I like your style. Golden's books tend to have an over-abundance of "cuteness" in them that distracts from the 'Trek-ness of the story (fluffy talking deer and whatnot), but I have faith in you that you can give us a strong story while still allowing us to spend time with the characters we love. More Vorik, less Libby! And, for the love of Pete, I want to know if Janeway's really dead, or just on hiatus with Q.

Good luck. Live long and prosper. And write faster! ¿ ;)

TheFounder

Report this Jul. 14 2008, 2:23 am

Wow. You don't even have to read between the lines of the OP to see that Golden isn't feeling the love.

Perhaps she deserves it, I haven't read her work but I was strongly reminded of Rule of Acquisition number twenty-one...

Square

Report this Jul. 14 2008, 2:48 am

Quote (TheFounder @ July 14 2008, 2:23 am)

Golden seems to have a decent enough grasp of the characters themselves, but as to actually telling a story.....

I think CG just isn't the type of person who should be playing with other people's toys. She's probably better at writing her own original fiction.

EmeraldWarrior

Report this Jul. 14 2008, 2:54 am

I really hope you're right. I love Voyager as well. But I didn't make it past The Farther Shore myself. I just couldn't get into Golden's writing, and I really wanted to.

I really liked Fusion a lot, too. The whole trilogy was a masterpiece. So my hopes are high. And maybe we'll finally get that argument cleared up about whether Janeway really died or not ?;)

I wonder if Full Circle refers to them going back into the Delta Quadrant or something similar?

-Nate-

Ben_Sisko

Report this Jul. 14 2008, 9:23 pm

Quote (KBeyer @ July 13 2008, 8:51 pm)
Wow.

Thanks so much for this post and the huge vote of confidence.

Hang in there until then. I'm writing as fast as I can.

Best,
Kirsten Beyer

Welcome Kirsten :)

I'm definitely looking forward to what you have in store for us.

I've missed having Voyager in the fold and the idea that this will bring us "Full Circle" if the title is as accurate as it seems has me very excited.

Between Keith, Dave, Dayton, yourself and a few others I'm thinking that once this series is finished and establishes a few new ground rules that I might just have to start writing again at some point.

I've never even tried to submit anything for publication, but I keep feeling the itch to write lately and I still haven't even tried to scratch it.

xxoxx

Report this Jul. 15 2008, 1:02 am

I can't stand Golden's post-Endgame books. They made me so mad. Among other things I hate what she did to Tom & B'Elanna. I mean in the first two books B'Elanna leaves Tom and goes off on a wild goose chase for her mother. In the second two Tom leaves B'Elanna on Qo'nos to go to some peace conference (or something like that I haven't read them in so long) with Janeway. For three seasons of Voyager their relationship was pretty much ignored, and in the last season we finally get to see them really come together and start a family. Then Golden goes and rips them apart again.

I'm looking forward to "Full Circle", and while I realize this is a Voyager novel not a Paris/Torres novel I still hope someone feels sorry enough for P/T-ers everywhere and brings them back together again.

_Roadhog_

Report this Jul. 22 2008, 5:24 pm

Quote (Square @ July 05 2008, 4:01 pm)
*snip*

I totally agree, it would have been a very fitting promotion for Ayala, despite we know very little about him.
It would have made 100x more sense than putting Kim into security.  Hopefully Beyer will be able to infuse that move with some logic, and possibly correct it.

Square

Report this Jul. 23 2008, 12:54 am

Quote (_Roadhog_ @ July 22 2008, 5:24 pm)
Quote (Square @ July 05 2008, 4:01 pm)
*snip*

It would have made 100x more sense than putting Kim into security. ?Hopefully Beyer will be able to infuse that move with some logic, and possibly correct it.

Totally. Plus, being in the military myself, it always amazes me how easily Starfleet personnel can change jobs. Ops really doesn't have the slightest resemblance to security, and you would think he'd have to go through more extensive training.

Anyway, some more things I'd like to see happen are....

1. Ditch Libby. Make her go far, far away.

2. Give the Borg a rest.

3. Cut down on the number of talking animals. Really, is this Star Trek or a Disney cartoon?

[SPOILER]

4. I want Janeway back in some form. *stomps foot* If it can't be done, it can't be done, but hope springs eternal. Can we at least hail her on a Quiji Board? If nothing else, I would like an aknowledgement of her passing from the crew. I was bummed I had to attend her funeral with Picard and Jellico. Not Golden's fault, I realize, but I'd still like it fixed.

[/SPOILER]

5. One. Solid. Plot. I was getting tired of the fragmented feel of the first two books.

6. Make Chakotay less stupid (How many times must we endure someone infiltrating his ship?). And if he has to hook-up with a gal pal, please make it not be 7 of 9. Those two made no sense in the show and I'd rather it not be attempted a second time.

7. More focus on Jarem Kaz, Lt. Tare, and Vorik.

8. I want a GOOD mission, not a dumb transport mission!

9. No irrelevant family members. Bye-bye Mark and Carla.

10. Tom and B'elanna are not deadbeat parents!! Starfleet's nice, but can we show two people who might actually care more about their kid than wandering around the galaxy?

GO KRISTEN BEYER, GO!!!

Square

Report this Jul. 23 2008, 1:26 am

Quote (EmeraldWarrior @ July 14 2008, 2:54 am)

-Nate-

Just a guess, but in Farther Shore, "Project Full Circle" refered to the effort of getting Voyager back up and running after being stripped of it's futuristic technology.