FedCon USA Cancelled After One Day

trekhed68

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 9:29 am

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this, so I guess I'll just include a brief quote from the article. Then we can puzzle over what it means--if anything--for the future of Trek:

June 14, 2008 - This morning in Dallas, Texas, shortly after the start of the second day of the first ever FedCon USA, the show was cancelled. At 11:14 AM (Central Time), after the first Saturday guest (John Billingsley) finished his appearance, the show MC came out on stage announced that the convention was closed due to poor attendance.

vgrbabe

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 9:34 am

did you look at the guest list they had....it was unimpressive.

They had Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis, but they both canceled, they had people from battlestar but they canceled. So they had a few people from Enterprise (the lowest rated show) and a few people from a non-canon online based show....why would people flock to see that?

On top of that the hotel they held it in was VERY expensive

vgrbabe

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 9:57 am

well there you go! A poor convention company. It's interesting because their conventions in Germany are supposedly very good

I was actualy thinking about going to this con but now I'm glad I saved my money. I'm sure they wouldn't be reimbursing hotel and travel expense, which costs more than the con tickets

vgrbabe

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 10:42 am

it sounds like the whole thing was a scam and a mess from the start. That's why I stick with the big name cons like Creation

though I am trying a new con company next month and there is a part of me that is fearing a similar situation

vgrbabe

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 10:58 am

Quote (SeerSGB @ June 16 2008, 10:49 am)
Quote (vgrbabe @ June 16 2008, 10:42 am)

Everyone bags on creation (never been to one, I use to prefer small more informal cons). ¿But pound for pound, outside of cost, I've never really seen what they are doing that was so bad.

I've went to a small con back in the 80s where the event organizer took off with the money the day of the con, left a woman that had NO clue what she was doing and as close to breaking down in charge, ¿and we still held a con. ¿The headliners ordered up a bunch of pizza, the hotel let us move out to the poolside and worked out a deal to keep the dealers room open, and we just hung out with the actors, ate pizza, and chit chatted by the pool.

No matter how bad it gets, you can pull a convention off-- if people are willing to work for it.

I can see a lot of mistake made right out the door with this con. Mistakes that could have been dodge had people been thinking ahead and willing to put in the effort and the time.

I've been to several creation cons and I always have a lot of fun. They are stricter than some smaller cons and more expensive....but you get the bigger stars. It's a trade off. You can spend less on a smaller con but you won't get to meet William Shatner and Patrick Stewart. Plus Creation is the only company left that does pure Star Trek cons.

Anonymous_Donor

POSTS: 1922

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 2:36 pm

Well, well, well, no surprise here, once again they get in way over their head and end up parting good people from their money. Only this time they made the wrong people angry expect a formal investigation into this one. :laugh:

vgrbabe

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 2:39 pm

I just hope this doesn't ruin things for other conventions.

vgrbabe

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 2:45 pm

there arent that many smaller cons anyway.

Anonymous_Donor

POSTS: 1922

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 3:04 pm

I feel sorry for all that attended and I feel sorry for Aaron Douglas who sat waiting for a ticket that never arrived. SyFy Portal is not one to say I told you so but they called this a year ago.

My heart is warm with the joy of knowing that these guys have crossed the line this time and have truly been exposed for all to see. My day just became a bit brighter. :)

juise15

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 5:51 pm

Well being a convention promoter myself I know that actors generally won't come until their 1) Receive hotel confirmation 2) receive flight information

Smaller cons wont have a problem because this is in the CONTRACT that you sign.  We are making sure for the Louisiana con that we have a majority paid before anyone comes so this doesnt happen.

Rockatanski

Report this Jun. 16 2008, 8:54 pm

I saw the German Fedcon in Trekkies 2 and it looked pretty cool. I know they wanted to bring it here because the conventions more about the fans than the stars. And they were attempting to steer away from the insane overpricing that's happening at our conventions now. And I was looking everywhere for a smaller convention held in the Pacific NW, and it just doesn' exist any more. Which is a shame because it would be nice to meet some local fans.

vgrbabe

Report this Jun. 17 2008, 8:38 am

Quote (Rockatanski @ June 16 2008, 8:54 pm)

try jumpcon.com

They are a new company and I don't know too much about how their events are, But I am going to one of their cons in a few weeks

Rockatanski

Report this Jun. 17 2008, 9:44 am

Thanks. I'll check er' out.

Anonymous_Donor

POSTS: 1922

Report this Jun. 17 2008, 5:28 pm

The FedCon USA board has been taken down, well so much for allowing truthful discussions. I guess it's back to the basics, run and hide under your desk and hope that everyone will just go away.

Anonymous_Donor

POSTS: 1922

Report this Jun. 17 2008, 5:53 pm

Quote (SeerSGB @ June 17 2008, 3:37 pm)
Fates, wish I had put money on this. ¿I was telling someone yesterday that this is exactly what was going to happen within a day one or two. How did I know? ¿Past experience.

I Know, how many times have we seen this before? We were called haters and bashers and everything else. We said these guys are no good, do not give them money, and the kool aid flowed. I feel sorry for everyone who was left out in the cold but at the same time it was not like the writing wasn't on the wall.

Personally, I did not think they were actually going to go through with it, I thought it was a grand scheme that was doomed to fail and a month or two before the convention it would be cancelled. When I heard this I was neither surprised nor shocked, I said yup, here we go again, only this time I think they have gone too far.

Users browsing this forum: alfamav