A note to any one who wants to be a CO

yellowshirt

Report this May. 04 2008, 11:07 am

Alright now if you want to be a CO follow this simple easy rule. The rule is...NEVER start a SIMM unless you have a couple months of free time. By free time I mean you don't have a vacation, or exams coming up.
 I say this becuase recently I have joined two SIMMs, and on both ships the CO has gone on an extended leave of absense.  And since the CO isn't there to give us a mission, or tell us what to do. No ones posting and the ship is dieing VERY quickly. So again, if you want to be a CO make sure you have free time!

css613

Report this May. 04 2008, 11:19 am

Hear, here! Very true!

enney

Report this May. 04 2008, 12:22 pm

Yes there are simms. That a CO. start and new posters join his or her simms. You check that simms, for days,weeks and month. Waiting for a mission to start.

There are also simm. That a CO. had started.They link there simms to a site to Star Trek.com or other sites like it. To get posters to join and come member of their simms. But no one want to join their simms, and the CO. is either have to give up on the simms or end up doing the mission posting all by themself.
The only ones that can do that are professional writers. I'm not one of them.

css613

Report this May. 04 2008, 3:07 pm

But even if you can, it still defeats the whole purpose- you may as well write a book- the point of the Simm is to have fun not knowing how the other characters will react.

Starbasecommander

Report this May. 04 2008, 3:51 pm

Well i technically could because i am an up-and-coming professional writer...............but yes, that does take all the fun out of it. Simming is about interacting with other people, writing is about playing with all of the different characters that you've created.

But i agree ~ NO-ONE start a simm before a holliday, exam period, etc. You can start it beforehand but not release it, just don't leave your crew hanging!

css613

Report this May. 04 2008, 6:46 pm

I don't get why that would be a problem, though. I've had over 150 views of my recruiting topic and no one's joined through ST.com as of yet. So if I were to disappear, no one would notice.

enney

Report this May. 04 2008, 7:45 pm

I believe most of us. Who had started a recruiting thread.End up getting view only.Maybe one or two posting on your thread. But no one would join the simms. That you own or a member of. Of course there are member. That are in countries that english isn't there main language.When they post. They use wrong word. But have the same sound that they suppose to use. Like want and won't, which and witch. Plus other words that have the same sound, but spell differently.

yellowshirt

Report this May. 04 2008, 9:09 pm

Quote (enney @ May 04 2008, 7:45 pm)

I bet when they post they don't use comma's either. Insted they make one word sentences like a certain some one I know...

enney

Report this May. 04 2008, 9:43 pm

Kind of like this? [youlefttheaoutofinstead]. I Have the same problem. Misspelling words, Here a another thing I do allot. When I am posting. I end up leaving a word out of a sentence, and I have to go back to put the word in.I won't notion it, until I had read my post.

css613

Report this May. 04 2008, 11:33 pm

I have two suggestions.

1. Use the "Preview Post" button to see your post before everyone else do.
2. Use a program with a built-in spelling and grammar check, like Microsoft Word or something similar.

AdmiralJoelschooler

Report this May. 05 2008, 12:25 am

Rule one don't power hog people hate that

Mr_Rixx

Report this May. 05 2008, 5:32 am

Quote (yellowshirt @ May 04 2008, 9:09 pm)
Quote (enney @ May 04 2008, 7:45 pm)

actually there's a comma on the last sentence
:p

EDIT: There's one in the sentence before too

:p

css613

Report this May. 05 2008, 9:06 am

There's a difference, though, between a non-American who's seriously trying his/her best to communicate in a language that's not his/her own, and a person who knows English fine, but just doesn't care about syntax online.

Mr_Rixx

Report this May. 05 2008, 9:31 am

Yeah.
:p
I always find it annoying when people don't type with the right grammar or spelling. But then I also get annoyed when people type in American English, because I'm British and the spellings are obviously different. So sometimes things might look grammatically wrong to me, but look fine to the Americans on the board. So I have to tolerate it.
:cry:

enney

Report this May. 05 2008, 10:31 am

You  know,  there are some   non-Americans  that  spell  a  lot  better  then  most  Americans,  and  I'm  a  American.

I  myself  get  frustrated,  when  I  think  of  a  word,  that  I  don't  even  know  it  spelling.

When  did  we  all  became  writing  teachers?  Myself  included.   I  myself  really  care  about  other  posters  writing.  I  know  the  correct  spelling,  and  the  right  word, that  suppost  to  be  use,  and  I'm  the  slow  learner.

Users browsing this forum: King B IX