USS Been There Done That

morn1

Report this Mar. 13 2008, 9:06 pm

Why is it that every single solitary sim and rpg out there takes place on Federation ships?

I was so excited back when Decipher first published the RPG. What possibilities I thought.

Maybe my adventures could take place during the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor, and I could be a Bajoran rebel fighting for freedom. Or maybe I could be a Cardassian sympathizer and try to aid the helpless Bajorans at the risk of my own life.

But no one wants to do these. They want to be Captain of the USS blah blah blah exploring xy region for the umpteenth time.

I mean, there is a whole universe at our fingertips. Why on earth would you want to dawn a starfleet uniform and waste away on a ship when you could be doing anything else in the galaxy? Anything! Doesn't that get old folks?

I find it ironic that many rpger's and simmers accuse trek of rehashing the same old crap time and time again, yet they themselves are just as deviod of imagination.

It's just not trek though. It's the same story with the star wars rpg. Everyone wantes to be a stupid boring jedi.

No wonder decipher cancelled the rpg. Most of you wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

Am I the ony one who is starving for something new here?

JGSL

Report this Mar. 13 2008, 11:10 pm

Perhaps... "We all love Star Trek", but not all of us love it for the same aspects.

Maybe we should explore those aspects and create something of a Star Trek rennisance of creative exploration.  Ships are plentiful in this Roleplay world, characters perhaps too... but writers, its too bad theres only a dedicated few.

I once believed I could start a simulation based on the Bajoran culture, only I couldn't grasp the culture.  It was too complex this world of architects, religion, and scholars... I needed dozens of active players in pursuit of creating a workable changable civilization.

Here I was working alone, peicing bajoran script together to form a tapestry of jibberish, drawing pictures for an attractive site, and writing gobs of storyline some concuring with the show, some not... all in hopes of creating this whim into something tangible...

But it isn't tangible, it neverwas, that is the cold harsh reality, but also the most perfect beauty that defines fantasy.  We strive to create something for our amuzement, when it fails we move on.  Perhaps this is why the life of sims is so small and the number of successful sims still running after even six months is so few.

We have a world of roleplay where half the crew jumps ship and the other half starves for attention from thier narrator.  Where does the sim fail?  Perhaps that answer is deep down inside of us all.

Personally, on some days I starve for activity... I wish to see the ship sail half the world in a day.  I think thats the case with most young sailors...   We all want to get there before we even leave port.  this could be why some of us jump ship and try to swim to the next vessel.

On other days, I can't write a single page... another prospective set back for a sim.  If no one writes, then those on the active days feel as if they are alone.  Nobody wants to be alone on a ghost ship.

Sometimes, and yes I've done this before... those of us on active days join three four ships just for attention.  It makes those other days seem even harder.  Think about amount of writting to accomplish when your on three, four sims that suddenly get active on top of the other three you've been writting regularly.  Often writers in this situation bail a good number or all of them and just stop caring.  Yet another good writer in training lost to the depths of the oceans in this cruel simming world.

I am with you. we all need something creative and original, thats why we all love the shows... they've got talented experienced writers, directors, and actors that peice together something captivating and entertaining and without the hassle of writting your own ideas to paper.  We can just sit back and let the sweet goodness of sci-fi picture images flood our mind.

ellell

Report this Mar. 14 2008, 12:58 pm

My ship USS Denver (not advertising) is more for exploration of the Gamma Quadrant then fighting, my ship is standard equipped and used for murder crime investigation. The ship though is testing a confidential stealth, but it may only be rarely used.

I do agree, there are to many over-equipped ships with the same scheme to fight Borg or any other species. I actually use a generator for some of my missions, they all are different, but they give a good RPG-ing experience.

startrekfan5171

Report this Mar. 14 2008, 2:42 pm

Quote (morn1 @ Mar. 13 2008, 9:06 pm)

Am I the ony one who is starving for something new here?

I agree with you yeah i know i've only started RPGing myself but before i joined the simm i'm with now i had a very good look about and most of the simm's was either long dead or not that active but also as well i saw all the same thing "crewman needed for the USS blah blah to boldy exlpore the blah blah system and fight the borg or the cardassians or the like

going abit off topic as well i think theres to many simms and not ehought people to go around does anyone else see that?

domo_arigato

Report this Mar. 14 2008, 3:38 pm

^ I agree. With the failure, that was Enterprise, and with the degredation of Science Fiction especially Star Trek, the number of people remotely interested in it is slipping. ONce the fan-base goes, so do the games. With great optimism I hope that perhaps this new movie might re-energize the fan-base and draw some new people into the fold.

I'm forced to agree with Shuttle, there are too many uberships that promise to blast the Borg the one shot. Uhh...yeah right. That'll happen when my dream of two-headed, flying purple sheep becomes reality.

Darth_Cheddar

Report this Mar. 17 2008, 1:08 pm

You raise some valid points, morn1, and I agree to some extent.

My bigger problem is that nearly every game advertised on this site is nothing more than a series of single-sentence posts. In fact, the last game I was a part of, four pages were taken up with nothing more than a back-and-forth, one sentence at a time conversation between two people. I have no patience for that, sorry. Go to writely.com and write the conversation together, folks, and post it when you're done.

Don't even get me started with the uber-ships. No thank you. The end (atr the risk of incurring the wrath of the Munchkins as stated by Shuttle, above).

The problem with Star Trek games that don't take place on starships is that, many times, they aren't Star Trek. They're wargames. I don't want to play a Bajoran during the Dominion War, because there's very little Star Trek in it. Star Trek, for me, is about starships plying the void of space, seeking out new life and all that jazz.

The answer, for me, was to look elsewhere for a good Trek game, and I've found several. The answer for you, I think, is to either create the game yourself, or find someone like-minded who will run it for you.

domo_arigato

Report this Mar. 17 2008, 4:20 pm

Ones that I've seen that work out very well are invitation only RPGs. One of mine is and we're having a real blast, however the downside to that is that you get the same established people and it becomes...well dull after awhile.

RPGs have their pros and cons to them. Many times you do end up with the boring back and forth conversations, especially on PBFs but then on PBeMs you run into inactivity alot of times. Othertimes you have interesting concepts that attract the wrong people or don't attract any at all.

Darth_Cheddar

Report this Mar. 19 2008, 3:07 pm

I'll add this as well:

The Vulcan who embraces emotion instead of supressing it? It's been done. It's been done to death. You know what isn't done? Playing a Vulcan like a Vulcan.

Also, half-this and half-that. With all the half-breeds carrying around resentment from one side of the family or the other, you'd think no one ever procreated with a member of their own species anymore.

And finally: orphans. Is orphan just another way of saying "I can't be bothered with writing up all sorts of backstory?" Signs point to yes.

domo_arigato

Report this Mar. 19 2008, 4:44 pm

My other qualm are with non-canon characters...half of the time they are too good to be true and so improbable. I can understand ones where they were shocased in the books, like the Xenexians in New Frontier series. But please don't go making your own character species....it's just so wrong.... :sick:

EnterpriseTimeLord

Report this Mar. 19 2008, 6:00 pm

Quote (domo_arigato @ Mar. 19 2008, 3:44 pm)

*sulks*

This_Is_Not_A_Test

Report this Mar. 21 2008, 10:05 am

And that includes all the ships with Marine detachments and ship-based fighter squadrons as well.

CaptDennyCrane

Report this Mar. 21 2008, 10:33 am

The USS BeenThereDoneThat was recently destroyed with all hands lost.

This_Is_Not_A_Test

Report this Mar. 21 2008, 11:17 am

And yet, it's still here. Must be one of the mysteries of the universe. Not sure of the point of the link, either, since it has nothing to do with the topic of rpgs.

CaptDennyCrane

Report this Mar. 21 2008, 12:12 pm

you had to "be there"

domo_arigato

Report this Mar. 21 2008, 8:46 pm

Quote (EnterpriseTimeLord @ Mar. 19 2008, 6:00 pm)
Quote (domo_arigato @ Mar. 19 2008, 3:44 pm)

*sulks*

well then of course it depends...like your's acutally makes sense, Sel isn't over powered or anything. She's basically the doctor transplanted into the ST universe and in a woman's body. Some others though just make no sense...

Users browsing this forum: miklamar