Your Favorite Trek Books

Reginald_Broccoli

Report this Jan. 23 2008, 11:10 am

I have just started reading trek books. (Seen every episode and movie) I am currently reading "The Kobayashi Maru" by Julie Ecklar.

I am wondering if there are some books that are considered far and above the others, or simply your personal favorite. Where should I start? Thanks!

EmeraldWarrior

Report this Jan. 23 2008, 2:14 pm

I've only been reading Star Trek Books for like a little less than a year. But I've read quite a few already. Nowhere near all of them, though. So far here are some of my Favorites:

ST: The Next Generation:
-Resistance - Post-Nemesis book involving The Borg and lot to do with Picard. Also introduces new members of Enterprise-E's crew after other members leave to join Captain Riker on the "Titan".
-Q & A - Post-Nemesis book involving Q and Picard. Great thought provoking stuff here. And helps tie toegether the link between Picard, humanity, and Q.
-The Sky's The Limit - Collection of all new short-stories.

ST: Voyager:
-ST Voyager: String Theory Trilogy (Cohesion, Fusion, & Evolution) - Great Alternate Univese & Time Travel story in the grand Star Trek Tradition.

ST: Mirror Universe:
-ST Mirror Universe: Glass Empires - It's the freaking Mirror Universe, you gotta love this! Dark, sexy, and evil.
-ST Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances - Same as last comment.

ST: Shatnerverse:
-ST: The Return - Takes place directly after the events in ST: Generations. Kirk is revived using technology from a Borg & Romulan Alliance. And it's up to Picard, Ambassador Spock, & Enterpise-E's crew to save the universe from the Alliance and Kirk. Probably my 2nd favoritue book after ST: The Spectre.
-ST: The Spectre - 1st in Shatner's Mirror Universe Trilogy, I haven't read the other 2 yet, & am currently in the middle of the 2nd one, Dark Victory. This on may be my all time favorite Trek book. I seriously couldn't put it down. It had me at the edge of my seat, and I finished it in a day and a half! This one has it all: Mirror Kirk, Mirror Picard, Mirror Spock, Mirror Janeway, Mirror Tom Paris, Mirror Voyager, Picard & Enterprise-E, and Kirk, Spock, McCoy, & Scotty!

-Nate-

_Roadhog_

Report this Jan. 23 2008, 3:12 pm

Quote (Reginald_Broccoli @ Jan. 23 2008, 3:10 pm)

so you've seen every episode of all five series?
Which series was your favorite (if you have one)?

Reginald_Broccoli

Report this Jan. 23 2008, 3:57 pm

Quote (_Roadhog_ @ Jan. 22 2008, 4:12 pm)
Quote (Reginald_Broccoli @ Jan. 23 2008, 3:10 pm)

so you've seen every episode of all five series?
Which series was your favorite (if you have one)?

I would say there are possible there are a few Voyager episodes that I missed but other than that I've pretty much seen all of them.  I would have to say DS9 is my favorite, with TNG and TOS in second. I'll dare to say that I actually enjoyed Enterprise as well.

_Roadhog_

Report this Jan. 23 2008, 4:12 pm

Quote (Reginald_Broccoli @ Jan. 23 2008, 7:57 pm)
Quote (_Roadhog_ @ Jan. 22 2008, 4:12 pm)
Quote (Reginald_Broccoli @ Jan. 23 2008, 3:10 pm)

so you've seen every episode of all five series?
Which series was your favorite (if you have one)?

well this thread is pinned up near the top of this board, and it's got a big answer for you: Books F.A.Q.
See Q.: What's the order of the post-DS9 books?
Then check them out in the search engine of this website, but beware, possible spoilers: Memory Beta

The "DS9 Relaunch" is widely regarded as an incredible success - a definite worthy continuation of the television series.  IMO, I enjoy the "8th season" more than the previous seven.

I would highly recommend you check it out.

commodore_shawn

Report this Jan. 24 2008, 2:10 am

Welcome to the book club. There are a ton of great trek books. Anything by Peter David, Keith ra decandido, david mack, Diane Carey (though sometimes hers take a few chapters to warm up) Michael jan friedman. Also some individal books that were really good are:
1) Uhuras Song (TOS)
2) Kobyoshi muru (TOS)
3) all the lost era books.
4)  Spartucas TNG
5) Deadulas 1 and 2 (Ent)
6) the black shore (voy)
the starfleet corps of engineers is really good.
Theres so much, really whatever your favorite series has some good books out there. Just go find them .

NuclearWessels

Report this Jan. 24 2008, 1:18 pm

My favourite books, hands down, DS9's Milennium Trilogy

LION26

Report this Jan. 24 2008, 9:15 pm

Hey All,

I'm a new member,

My favorite trek books so far are:

Voyager Homecoming Series

Sprit Walk Series,

TNG:

Planet X,
Resistance
Death in Winter

juliansgirl7

Report this Jan. 24 2008, 10:46 pm

Warchild, and Cathedral(both DS9)

The_Obsidian_Order

Report this Jan. 24 2008, 10:48 pm

Quote (NuclearWessels @ Jan. 24 2008, 1:18 pm)
My favourite books, hands down, DS9's Milennium Trilogy

Definitely the same for me as well. I also really liked A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson, a "biography" of Garak.

_Roadhog_

Report this Jan. 26 2008, 8:47 am

Quote (juliansgirl7 @ Jan. 25 2008, 2:46 am)
Warchild, and Cathedral(both DS9)

ever read Abyss?  As a Bashir fan, I bet you'd like it (considering those other two titles you mentioned)

JeanLucPicard1701E

Report this Jan. 26 2008, 8:46 pm

I just finished reading "Burning Dreams"  After the first 50-80 pages, it picked up and got good.

Are there any other good Christopher Pike books out there? I love the character.

SLagonia

Report this Jan. 26 2008, 9:23 pm

IQ is my favorite.  The Shatnerverse books are fun as long as you don't take them too seriously.  The concepts are pretty crazy, but they're a fun read.

commodore_shawn

Report this Jan. 26 2008, 10:52 pm

Quote (JeanLucPicard1701E @ Jan. 26 2008, 1:46 pm)
I just finished reading "Burning Dreams" ¿After the first 50-80 pages, it picked up and got good. ¿

yeah I thought that about 'Burning Dreams' too when i read it a couple months back.

_Roadhog_

Report this Jan. 27 2008, 8:57 am

Quote (commodore_shawn @ Jan. 27 2008, 2:52 am)
Quote (JeanLucPicard1701E @ Jan. 26 2008, 1:46 pm)
I just finished reading "Burning Dreams" ?After the first 50-80 pages, it picked up and got good. ?

There's a good short story in The Lives of Dax which included Pike, it's called Sins of the Mother.

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra