P2 Out As Star Trek Online Developer

Suricata

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 2:35 pm

Hello all, the staff at STOnet were approached this weekend with news that P2 were ceasing development of STO, we wanted to find more confrimation before saying anything and alas warcry has posted the following :-

P2 Entertainment - formerly Perpetual Entertainment - has ceased development on Star Trek Online, according to multiple sources at the San Francisco based developer. The news does not, however, mean that the game is canceled. The license, as well as the game's content - but not the code - have been transferred to another Bay Area development studio where work will continue. It is not entirely clear at this time what this means for the individual developers who worked on the project at P2.

You can read more in the article below :-

Its still not clear if STO will continue with another developer, but it looks like we may be waiting quite a bit longer until the game releases (if at all).

Captain_Samurai

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 4:50 pm

Well then.

"Who will carry the flag if this man falls?"

Aiten

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 5:26 pm

Kareal ... my nemesis ... you might of won ... :O

Spiculus

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 6:34 pm

The curse of Star Trek Gaming Continues!!!

GBJackson

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 6:52 pm

Crypric Studios is taking over development.

MigueIitoSan

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 9:53 pm

I wonder if they're going to reverse some of PE's decisions. Such as no ship interiors, 20 years, etc.

It would be cool to have a closely post-nemesis plot. IMO.

I wonder what's going to happen.

TheFounder

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 10:20 pm

The handwriting was on the wall. It's good that the license has finally been given to another developer.

Aiten

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 11:05 pm

Technically it hasn't yet.  From everything I gather, Cryptic are looking to hire the best of the bunch who will lose their job at PE, but nothing about continuing the game.  They then asked Trekmovie to change its article.  Until its official, I am assuming the worst rather than get my hopes up.

The question arises ...IF Cryptic is continuing STO ... if they were going in a new direction, what use is current PE staff members/ their own staff?

It makes no sense, other than perhaps either
1: Following STO through with the PE design/technology.
2: Sympathetic towards the employees.

Anyway, if things are moving over there (COH/V kept me amused for a whole week :blush: ), I hope that the original STO concept is what they go towards (and aimed at the fans!!!;) ... and perhaps grab the Cryengine2 whilst they are at it like Project Entropia and Blue Mars.

Captain_Samurai

Report this Jan. 14 2008, 11:29 pm

I don't much care about the time jump as I think Star Trek could use it but the next incarnation of this game better have PSIs

SirCedric2

Report this Jan. 15 2008, 8:14 am

I think we should all go over and e-mail Cryptic, maybe they will do the game right.

ColonelGraff

Report this Jan. 15 2008, 8:44 am

Looks like I'm a d!ick and the cynics were proved right yet again. My apologies to anyone I've trolled. ####ing PE.

Kareal

Report this Jan. 15 2008, 9:22 am

Quote (Aiten @ Jan. 14 2008, 5:26 pm)
Kareal ... my nemesis ... you might of won ... :O

sadly, my thread comes true

I wanted this game so badly, but PE sucked.  I hope someone with brass takes this game and makes it real

GBJackson

Report this Jan. 15 2008, 9:28 am

Don't feel bad, Graff...

This is just another example of corporate game development collapsing in on itself. How I long for the old days when game development was an art and a labor of love instead of some big corporation's cash cow.

The things that once made games unique and great aren't done anymore. They've been replaced by cookie-cuter copies of what one successful game may have done. The sad thing is that many people buy them, hate them and keep buying them in hopes that the corporates would get a clue and return to uniqueness. But because the dollars keep rolling in, in spite of unsatisfaction with the product, they have no incentive to rethink their positions...

Look at Star Wars Galaxies and the stupid piece of crap known as the NGE that still encompasses the core of the gameplay in spite of all the people who left. As long as the MMO-hopping kiddies keep subscribing keeping their revenue within the black (barely) there is no reason why they would consider making any kind of change. SOE has admitted that the NGE was a mistake. But instead of correcting the mistake by converting some of the near-dead servers into pre-NGE or pre-CU, they stick with the same crap.

IF there ever is to be a Star Trek MMO, it needs to be 100% Star Trek, developed by people who are very familiar with ALL of the source material, and managed by someone who is willing to let the developers develop and not let the accountants bully them into a thought process that results in just copying what some other company has done with their game.

WoW attracted the crowds it has because it was done different than any MMO to that point. The WoW killer will be a MMO that will be done differently than anything else as well. Blizzard wasn't concerned with keeping up with the Jonses... They did their own thing and took the market by storm. The only way for company-X to truly compete in the gaming industry is to quit worrying about what company-Y is doing and, as in the golden age of game design, just do their own thing. It worked on the small scale. Why can't it work on the large scale? And who said it can't?

Larzz

Report this Jan. 15 2008, 12:07 pm

If there is any company that could do Star Trek Online right, I do believe it would be Blizzard.  They don't care about copying anyone else's anything.  Blizzard has the money, vision, and resources to make ST:O the very best Sci-Fi MMOG on market.  They'd leave EVE, Fallen Earth, SGW, and any other Sci-Fi MMOG in the dust.

Unfortunately, it looks like Cryptic is getting the nod on this one.  And for the record, if Cryptic (or any other company) hires Daron or any other member of PE/P2 management staff to work/direct STO for them, I will be done with the game forever.  I'm sorry, but the reason for ST:O & G&&H failures thus far is the incompetence of the management staff of PE/P2.

GBJackson

Report this Jan. 15 2008, 12:32 pm

I do not want to see Blizzard get STO, Larzz. WoW is their chief product now. If they took on STO, then WoW would suffer. And it it didn't it would mean that STO would not be getting its full attention. It would be like SOE is with their EverQuest and SWG. Everquest II, as I understand it, gets all sort of attention to keep it going strong and remain fun, while it took them 2 years to appoint a dev team to SWG that actually could be bothered to get up off its butt and do something.

If you ask me, CBS should open its own Interactive Entertainment (game development by another name) studio and staff it with talented people. Let STO be an in-house CBS production. That way they don't have to license out to anyone and getting the okay to do something with the IP would be just a matter of a guy asking, "can we do this?" and getting an answer on the spot rather than having to play phone and email tag between two companies.