2008 Start Trek Desk Calendar

NCC_Dude

Report this Dec. 01 2007, 8:56 pm

For the past decade, I've carried a little piece of Star Trek with me each day through the Star Trek Desk Calendar.

For 2008, it appears that one is not available.

I'd like to know what dropping of a Ceti eel in the offices of Pocket Books, Andrews McMeel Publishing, Simon and Schuster, and Parmount decided to pull the plug on a 2008 Edition.

Believe it or not, I actually have a life; its just that one small piece of it has been removed.

So just as Suv tlhIngan po', I hope that others may have the same disdain for this as I and are willing to express it.

Live Long and Prosper

TrekWriterKC

Report this Dec. 01 2007, 11:51 pm

My understanding is that the desk calendars sold in ever-decreasing numbers from year to year, to the point that the costs of continuing to produce them could no longer be justified. It's the same reason you don't have calendars for each of the series....only certain ones sell in sufficient quantities to justify doing new ones each year (TOS, Ships of the Line). Maybe the desk calendar will return some day, though. You never know.

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 02 2007, 11:09 am

Quote (NCC_Dude @ Dec. 01 2007, 8:56 pm)

For 2008, it appears that one is not available.

Live Long and Prosper

Are you serious! I've been getting one of them for Chriastmas since I was a kid!!!! Like you, a small part of my day is gone........  :cry: Now all thats left is the Ships of the Line, which I bought yesterday. Nice calander, but i'll miss the desk calander....

juliansgirl7

Report this Dec. 02 2007, 10:54 pm

So there will never be a DS9 calendar??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Baratine

Report this Dec. 03 2007, 12:23 am

Trek fans pulled the plug.

What doesn't get bought, doesn't get made.

:cool:

juliansgirl7

Report this Dec. 03 2007, 12:42 pm

It's hard to buy a product if it's not made available to everyone.

TrekWriterKC

Report this Dec. 03 2007, 1:51 pm

^ The problem is that when it was available, not enough people bought it.

juliansgirl7

Report this Dec. 03 2007, 3:02 pm

Maybe it wasn't as available as it was supposed to be-weak distribution=weak sales

TrekWriterKC

Report this Dec. 03 2007, 3:32 pm

The publisher produced and distributed what it thought would sell, based on orders from booksellers, previous years' sales, etc. For whatever reason, sales did not reach that mark, eventually making to the point that the calendar(s) were unprofitable to continue producing each year. At present, that's not the case with the TOS and Ships of the Line calendar, which is why those continue to have new editions each year.

sonofspock1

Report this Dec. 05 2007, 2:51 pm

Quote (juliansgirl7 @ Dec. 03 2007, 3:02 pm)

I'd agree with that. Sometimes it would be almost impossible to get a calander. I heard that only "specialist" stores carried the Star Trek calanders.

Baratine

Report this Dec. 05 2007, 4:11 pm

Quote (sonofspock1 @ Dec. 05 2007, 2:51 pm)
I'd agree with that. Sometimes it would be almost impossible to get a calendar. I heard that only "specialist" stores carried the Star Trek calendars.

All the local book retailers carried the calendars when they first came out years ago.

The Desktop version always seemed to end up on the discount shelves. :(

Lynx677

Report this Dec. 06 2007, 5:34 am

Yes, I also noticed that the calender was missing this year.

It really makes me sad, I have such a calender on my desk for many years and it has alwways been of both help and pleasure to have it there.

Now when I look at the 2007 calender at my desk, knowing that I won't have one next year I do feel a certain sadness.

Another good Star Trek item gone for good.

There seem to be less and less Star Trek products available for each year.

A guy at the place I order them from suggested that I should buy a monthly calender instead.

I told him that if I want a monthly calender, then I make one myself because then I can at least choose which picture I have to stare at for one month.

Maybe that's the solution.

I mean, the situation today is that if I want a good Star Trek Voyager story to read, then I have to write one myself.

If I want a calender, then I have to make one myself.

It we want a Star Trek Voyager technical manual or something similar, then we have to create one and publish it as a website.

If we want updated Star Charts, then we have to make them ourselves and publish on the internet.

If we want a new Star Trek Encyclopedia, then we have to make it ourselves and publish it on the internet (God bless those who created the Memory Alpha site).

Because the amount of buyable Star Trek things are getting fewer and fewer for each year.

Why do it have to be so?

Baratine

Report this Dec. 06 2007, 2:52 pm

Quote (Lynx677 @ Dec. 06 2007, 5:34 am)
Why do it have to be so?

Simple, as has been pointed out hundreds of times.

No one buys those items...

The last Star Charts book was one of the best books of it's type and no one bought it.

Same with all the rest of the books you mentioned.

Star Trek Fans simply do not buy Trek items.

Sybok33

Report this Dec. 06 2007, 4:29 pm

Quote (Gatefold @ Dec. 02 2007, 1:23 am)
Trek fans pulled the plug.

What doesn't get bought, doesn't get made.

:cool:

Good call!

People, it's called supply and demand. If we don't demand it they don't supply it!

juliansgirl7

Report this Dec. 06 2007, 9:55 pm

I demand it-but one person doesn't count, I guess. It IS true-One IS the loneliest number :cry: