TOS season 1 HDDVD

parisalpha2

Report this Nov. 21 2007, 8:16 pm

hey, I was at Virgin and bought the TOS season 1 remastered for $200 and got the free HDDVD.  Well, on HD side of the disk, it stops halfway through Charlie X so far.  and on both sides it doesn't do scene selections, the most basic of all dvds, so I'm kind of disappointed.  Anyone else watch it yet?

TPAL1

Report this Nov. 21 2007, 9:18 pm

I Would send it back to get my refund or a new one

parisalpha2

Report this Nov. 21 2007, 11:28 pm

that's fine for the dvd default, but whatabout the fact that there is no scene selection, and this menu needs an instruction manual

Targallian

Report this Nov. 23 2007, 9:11 am

I didn't have any problems navigating the menu, but the first disc has a big scratch on it, and "WNMHGB" won't play fast the first 5 minutes. I'll have to take it.

I been collecting TV series box sets for the last few year, and it seems that the double sided disc always have problems.

parisalpha2

Report this Nov. 23 2007, 2:46 pm

so far I'm on disc 5 and it's happened on one episode on two discs, but only on the HD side., same message in the first 5 min on Miri and at 30min into it on Charlie X

Sybok33

Report this Nov. 23 2007, 3:46 pm

The new HD DVD's are defective?! Oh, man Scooty was right! The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!:laugh:

Josh_Lyman

Report this Nov. 23 2007, 5:35 pm

Quote (parisalpha2 @ Nov. 20 2007, 9:16 pm)
hey, I was at Virgin and bought the TOS season 1 remastered for $200

I got mine for $140 at amazon but I haven't received it yet.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Nov. 23 2007, 5:37 pm

Are the remastered versions on both sides?

Sybok33

Report this Nov. 23 2007, 10:05 pm

Quote (Josh_Lyman @ Nov. 22 2007, 6:37 pm)
Are the remastered versions on both sides?

Yes, on one side its the HD remastered. On the other, its standard DVD remastered.

Josh_Lyman

Report this Nov. 24 2007, 2:32 am

Quote (Sybok33 @ Nov. 22 2007, 11:05 pm)
Quote (Josh_Lyman @ Nov. 22 2007, 6:37 pm)
Are the remastered versions on both sides?

Thanks.

Targallian

Report this Nov. 24 2007, 11:28 am

Quote (Targallian @ Nov. 23 2007, 8:11 am)

I came back yesterday, changed the audio setting so that my surround sound receiver and my TV were set the same, and then "WNMHGB" played fine after that. It still has the scratch on the disc, but all of episodes played fine yesterday. I just finished "What Little Girls Are Made Of?" last night. So far, no problems.

I think the problems we are having have more to do with the players than the discs. Has anyone connect the player to the ethernet connection and updated the firmware? Did it make a difference?

X24

Report this Nov. 24 2007, 8:45 pm

It doesn't have scene selection. Does it at least have have chapter points???

Targallian

Report this Nov. 25 2007, 2:29 am

Quote (X24 @ Nov. 24 2007, 7:45 pm)
It doesn't have scene selection. Does it at least have have chapter points???

Yes, it does have chapter points that you move forward and back to. You can also set up bookmarks.

LonnyE

Report this Nov. 25 2007, 4:59 pm

Quote (Targallian @ Nov. 23 2007, 9:11 am)

I think this was a poor choice of casing here for this release.

I have been greatly enjoying watching these remastered episodes.

Make sure you are using the latest firmware for your players. One key point of advice is to make sure that you do not lose power during a firmware upgrade (i.e., don't start upgrade during an electrical storm).

I joined this site primarily because I though I would run into some folks new to HD DVD.

If you are new to HD DVD, then you can get help at AVSForum.com in the HD DVD Players section. It is alot more civil there post cooldown of that part of the forum. I'm LonnyE over there also at AVSForum. You may PM me if you are desparate, but there are some great existing thread over there on how to burn a firmware disk (this thread is "stickied") etc.

parisalpha2

Report this Nov. 26 2007, 4:12 pm

Just noticed I have 2 disc 8s and no disc 7 but can't find a number or website to call about this.  Any help on that one?