star trek audio books

mystelite120

Report this Nov. 14 2007, 6:14 pm

I'm serching for any info on the availablity of Star Trek books on audio particularly on cd. Can any one point me to any web sites I might check out. How many (if any) of the Trek books are on audio?.

Vice_Adm_Baxter

Report this Nov. 15 2007, 10:31 am

Try Barnes and Noble. com they have pleanty of trek audio books(new and used).

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Nov. 15 2007, 11:26 am

Amazon I have found some here

Baratine

Report this Nov. 15 2007, 4:37 pm

Simon and Schuster Audio

Here is a list

:cool:

Josh_Lyman

Report this Nov. 16 2007, 2:10 am

I have never tried audio books. My I'll get a Star Trek one for my next long drive alone. Anyone ever done this?

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Nov. 16 2007, 3:55 am

Quote (Josh_Lyman @ Nov. 16 2007, 2:10 am)

Yes I was working in Virginia when I found Star trek Audio books are great companions on road trips. :cool:

Salter1701

Report this Nov. 16 2007, 10:28 am

I have a big load of em on 2 DVD's

Yesteryear

Report this Nov. 16 2007, 10:45 pm

Quote (Josh_Lyman @ Nov. 15 2007, 11:10 pm)

Wow - you should definitely try them. ¿I have a pretty complete collection of all the Original Series audio books. ¿I listen to them driving to and from work. ¿An excellant way to enjoy more Star Trek, and help forget about the commute.
ME

mystelite120

Report this Nov. 17 2007, 1:35 am

Thanks so much for everybody's input. I checked out the Barnes and Nobel site and they do have quite a few books that I would like to have. But one thing I noticed was that a lot of them were "abridged". Doesn't that mean that they are not exactly word for word like the actual book? What can those of you who have actually listened to the books tell me. Like you Yesteryear, I also spend a lot of time on the road to and from work and I have gotten hooked on audio books. I have all the Harry Potters, Roots, and all the Lord of The Rings. Avery Brooks did an awesome job with Roots and Jim Dale is fantastic with the Harry Potter ones.

mystelite120

Report this Nov. 17 2007, 1:53 am

Quote (Salter1701 @ Nov. 16 2007, 10:28 am)
I have a big load of em on 2 DVD's

How did you get them on DVD and how do you listen to them?

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Nov. 17 2007, 8:53 am

Quote (mystelite120 @ Nov. 17 2007, 1:35 am)

The Audio Star trek books are not word for word . You have to read the book for the full story.

They do cover the main plot and depending on the Narrator can be a great Trek story on the road.

Shatner is great with his Trek books on audio.

I listened to the Eugenics Wars by Richard Cox .That story is in two volumes of three CD's each .
Part one is narrated by Anthony Stewart Head. I enjoyed it . Part 2 was narrated by Rene Auberjonois{Odo DS 9} that was great , him being Odo was like hearing it from the Constable.

I really enjoy them in the car

Salter1701

Report this Nov. 17 2007, 1:09 pm

Quote (mystelite120 @ Nov. 17 2007, 6:53 am)
Quote (Salter1701 @ Nov. 16 2007, 10:28 am)
I have a big load of em on 2 DVD's

How did you get them on DVD and how do you listen to them?

someone gave me them on DVD,  and I just copy them over to itunes to listen.

bensisko47

Report this Nov. 18 2007, 5:27 pm

Armin Shimerman is great in the audiobooks as well - he narrated Legends of the Ferengi and The 34th Rule.

Yesteryear

Report this Nov. 18 2007, 7:58 pm

Quote (mystelite120 @ Nov. 16 2007, 10:35 pm)

Most audio books are abridged, and as several have noted, they do not contain all the text of the novel. ¿Some books are unabridged and some come in both versions. ¿Occasionally, there is a library edition of an audio book which maybe unabridged. ¿Then there are a few audio only works, such as the three Captain Sulu adventures, and the two Spock vs. Q presentations.
I enjoy the early Star Trek audio books with George Takei and Leonard Nimoy and also those with James Doohan. ¿I wouldn't start off with William Shatners' books - in my opinion, they need a little getting used to.
I would recommend to a new Star Trek audio listener to go to the local library and check out a few to try. ¿I use two, a city and a county library near me - one charges 25 cents per and the other charges 50 cents per. ¿I use the library for audio other than Star Trek since I collect ST, but as a new listener, it's an inexpensive way to try them. ¿Or, for purchase, I would recommend eBay. ¿There are some terrific values there and so far I've had excellant luck with it.

Warp9_Engage

Report this Nov. 19 2007, 2:53 am

Itunes also has about 30 books available for download.

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid