Fiber optic DS9 model

usslancelot

Report this Oct. 22 2007, 4:56 pm

So I'm thinking about spending part of this winter building the fiber optic Deep Space Nine model that came out several years ago. I was wondering if anyone out there had built it and if they had any comments about the build. Did you enjoy it and was it nice looking when it was all done?...things like that.

ignatius22

Report this Nov. 10 2007, 10:07 pm

I have ceased to build it; it was just too time consuming for me and my schedule is piling up with more important things.  In addition, my office doesn't have room for a 16-inch model right now.

However, given the time and patience, I would definitely continue building it; I'm sure it would look totally awesome when finished.  Perhaps I'll get back to it someday.

The only issue I had was with the drill that came with the model.  After, like, the 40th hole, the drill bit broke too easily; when I went to a model shop to buy another hand drill, I couldn't find a drill bit the same size (either too small or too big); so I chose a bigger drill bit and had to use Elmer's Glue to hold the fiber optics in so they didn't slide out.  It just created more of a time-consuming event.  It took me almost two weeks to find the right bit.

Go for it, Dude!

Baratine

Report this Nov. 10 2007, 11:31 pm

Unless you have a lot of time, are an above average model builder,  have advanced model building tools, and are very very patient.

It's a complete pain in the neck.

ignatius22

Report this Nov. 11 2007, 7:48 pm

I don't think you need "advanced model building tools" per se.  Besides the hand drill, that is.  My other must was super glue, a sodering iron and soder, and lots of elmers glue.

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Nov. 11 2007, 8:50 pm

Post pictures when you've completed it.

On the DS9 forum.

Salter1701

Report this Nov. 16 2007, 10:27 am

I bought it last year, I havent even started it yet.

NCLPN_Parker

Report this Nov. 21 2007, 12:36 pm

Where did you guys get this model?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Nov. 25 2007, 11:09 am

I've seen this for sale on eBay several times.