Science Fiction Museum in Seattle, WA

jlomein

Report this Sep. 17 2007, 4:09 pm

Has anyone been? ¿I'm wondering how much Star Trek related things are in the exhibition. ¿I'll be headed down this Saturday from Vancouver, Canada, and am debating if I should check it out.

The reason for the trip is to see the Seattle Symphony's tribute to Sci-Fi themes.  I already went to Star Trek The Experience in Las Vegas a month ago and had a blast.

trekker670

Report this Sep. 17 2007, 4:34 pm

I've never been there, but I'd suggest going! They have the Sci-Fi Hall of fame (which just inducted Gene Roddenberry), I believe they have the Original Captain's Chair from TOS, AND they have a traveling exhibit there with props, costumes and ships from Trek (I believe it's a collection from several of the winners from the Christie's Auction)

Gibnerd

Report this Sep. 19 2007, 2:43 pm

My wife & I went there in August of 2006, and it was GREAT!  It is an amazing place to visit not only for a Trek fan but for a fan of all things Science Fiction.  Trek items you'll find there will be the ORIGINAL Captain's chair, Kirk and Spock's uniform shirts (which are each from different seasons..1st & 3rd, I think), the original mini cardboard mock-up of the set from the original series (from the 60s & still held together with the original Scotch tape!;), several phasers, ships, Klingon heads, and tons of Trek related items all over the place.  I've heard that lots of new items were added as they were bought from the big 40th Anniversary auction last year.  I've heard that the DS9 station and the Enterprise D are there now.
Non Trek items that blew me away were the Terminator endoskeleton, the Alien Queen & Power Loader from Aliens, several items from A.I., Flash Gordon and a Sentinel from The Matrix!  Also, all the items that tell the overall history of the genre we all love was amazing.   The Science Fiction Museum is a great place and even my wife, who isn't the biggest sci-fi nut in the world was blown away.  Great place.

jlomein

Report this Sep. 23 2007, 9:01 pm

So yesterday I went on my visit to the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle and found it just ok to average.  Something that hindered the experience was lack of variety (mainly just costumes/props without many interactive elements or information).  There were also too many crying babies and screaming children, perhaps at no fault to the museum. :p It was disappointing that no photography was allowed.  Overall, I enjoyed the Star Trek Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton much more.

However, the highlight of the night was the Seattle Symphony's Tribute to Sci-Fi.  It was an energetic night that included a medley of the Star Trek theme songs, a separate Star Trek: Enterprise theme performance, and many other sci-fi favourites.  I hope other Trek fans were there and enjoyed it as much as I did.

trekker670

Report this Sep. 24 2007, 9:36 am

That stinks that no photography was allowed!

shanikhar

Report this Oct. 01 2007, 1:20 pm

Museums take catologue photos and then display the items. Their lighting is adjusted to reduce fading - especially in cloth and paintings...very light sensitive. It suck but fewer would enjoy the displays if they all became faded with flash-blobs.:logical:

WAnglais1

Report this Oct. 01 2007, 3:10 pm

I've been to many museums that will allow photography if you turn the flash off.  Get a faster speed of film, though.

kirkkid7

Report this Oct. 01 2007, 3:28 pm

i'd love to go there. :cool:

MANTAN

Report this Oct. 22 2007, 9:35 pm

I was there for the 40th Anniversary Gala as a Security guard, and i got free access all around the museum, They have the 18 inch TOS model they used for faraway shots, and of course Kirk's Chair. I cant remember the other things.

CO_Fowler

Report this Nov. 10 2007, 2:36 am

I haven't been to the museum in Seattle, but I did go to the Denver Museum when the traveling exhibit was there. I was attending the convention in Denver and took my mom and aunt there. I liked it and so did they :D
I liked the anti-grav sled and we even got to be transported :cool:
My mom was wearing a blouse and slacks that was the same color as the blue screen so all we could see of her was her head and hands. Our group thought that that was kind of neat :laugh:
Since we were going to head over to the con. after I was in costume and got an employees discount when I bought a couple of souviners :blush: Ooopsie :p

Anyhoo, I don't know if the other traveling exhibits were the same, but I liked the coustumes and heads/masks and the other science/space related bits. My mom liked the bio-bed, she thought that was neat.

Peace!

SignGuy77

Report this Dec. 09 2007, 1:41 pm

I have been in it a couple of times. A lot of the items they have are actually owned by Paul Allen himself. If you look at the cards that identify what you are seeing it states it's from his personal collection. If anyone is considering a trip here to see it, I recommend that you try to attend on the first Thursday of the month. They have, at least, the EMP portion open for free for a few hours in the evening. I am not sure if the Sci-Fi part is free or not, but you'd definately get more for your money by doing it this way.

Users browsing this forum: crimsyn