1st Convention

JamesTKirksgirl

Report this Aug. 29 2007, 3:31 pm

I'm going to my first convention , which is in Sacramento, its one of the Creation combo events . I do not plan on buying autographs or photo-ops. My main interest for going is just to experinence the other fans in costume, and browse the dealer rooms as I like action figures and collectibles. I may want to listen to Frakes/Sirtis ( they are all I care to see that Sunday as far as guests and it wouldn't kill me if I didn't see them) on stage. My question is it worth it to pay $50 for a preferred seat (reserved) or am I better off just bying a $25 general admission ?

JamesTKirksgirl

Report this Aug. 29 2007, 5:51 pm

such a friendly groupa folks, thanks much

Targallian

Report this Aug. 29 2007, 6:32 pm

Yeah, you really got give people more than a couple of hours to respond, especially on a weekday afternoon. But I'll try to help.

Creations says that they will not oversell tickets and that they will have seats for everyone. Assuming that is true, you should have a seat, regardless. It really just depends upon how close to the stage you want to be, and if you want to take pictures or not. Photos from preferred seating may turn on okay (not great, but okay) while photos from general admission are likey to only show dark outlines. Probably not a lot of difference in those photos. Depends upon how good your camera is, really, but the closer you are to the stage, but better the pictures.

The speakers will be amplified enough that you will have no problems hearing them and you can see the stage clearly from the back of the room. We had gold tickets in Vegas, but sometimes had to stand in the back of the room while waiting in line for autographs. I had no problems seeing or hearing what was happening on the stage from there.

I prefer being closer myself and having a reserved seat, but that is just personal preference. I'd rather be closer to the stage then add to my already overflowing action figure collection. If money is a big issue and you have good eyesight (or binoculers), and you may want to save the $50 for the dealers room.

One other consideration, the general admission seats are usually empty until just before the headliners come on. So if you get there early before, say, Frakes and Sirtis (I've seen both this year and they were great, by the way) go on stage, you can probably be in the row right behind the prefered seating. If you work it right, you are really only talking the difference of one row. This has been the case at every Creations con I have been to, but remember that I can't guarantee this will be the case. It's just a good possibility.

I hope this helps. I've never sat in general admission, so don't let me steer you wrong. Hopefully in a day or so, others will offer their advise.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Aug. 29 2007, 6:37 pm

I have only been to one convention .It seemed that it was  possible to walk up to the side of the stage and take a quick photo.

vgrbabe

Report this Aug. 30 2007, 8:34 am

The main difference is, if you get the more expensive ticket  you will have an assigned seat that will be a bit closer to the stage.

beth5507

Report this Sep. 18 2007, 3:04 pm

I just went to the Vegas convention in August....my first convention as well....and I think the general admission seats are ok, but I think I would buy the more expensive tickets next time.  My pictures turned out kinda crappy because I felt like I wasn't allowed to go up and take a picture.  Looking back, I probably could have, but...you live you learn.

Definatly spend some time in the dealer's hall at the autograph table there though.  The 'secondary stars' are there and they are so nice!  I taught Richard Herd (Admiral Paris: VOY) how to play roulette!  He talked to me for like, half and hour and gave me a free, personalized autograph!  It was really cool.

I also got a picture of myself with Denise and Michael Okuda and Gene Roddenberry Jr.  They are really, really nice people, all three of them, so if they happen to be there, talk to them!  They rock.

BirdofPrey101

Report this Sep. 27 2007, 10:16 pm

Quote (beth5507 @ Sep. 18 2007, 3:04 pm)
I just went to the Vegas convention in August....my first convention as well....and I think the general admission seats are ok, but I think I would buy the more expensive tickets next time. ¿My pictures turned out kinda crappy because I felt like I wasn't allowed to go up and take a picture. ¿Looking back, I probably could have, but...you live you learn.

Definatly spend some time in the dealer's hall at the autograph table there though. ¿The 'secondary stars' are there and they are so nice! ¿I taught Richard Herd (Admiral Paris: VOY) how to play roulette! ¿He talked to me for like, half and hour and gave me a free, personalized autograph! ¿It was really cool.

I also got a picture of myself with Denise and Michael Okuda and Gene Roddenberry Jr. ¿They are really, really nice people, all three of them, so if they happen to be there, talk to them! ¿They rock.

sounds like you had a good time. :cool:   I've never been to one before either...I'm just hoping to hit at least one in the next couple years or so.

shanikhar

Report this Oct. 01 2007, 12:50 pm

Couldn't you have just asked the question of 'which seating is better' rather than sounding like Kirk's girlfriend being dragged reluctantly to her first convention?
Just curious:question: