Report on Galaxy of Stars convention

Targallian

Report this May. 08 2007, 11:06 am

My wife and I, along with another couple, attended the Galaxy of Stars convention in Jackson, MS this past Friday and Saturday. This was the first con this group has put together, but man did they do alot thing right. It was an blast!! There were a few post about it last week, and some people asked for a full report, so here is mine:

Although the event was not held in a hotel, it was only a block from the hotel we stayed in, so it was a very short walk. This was great because we had theatre style seating, which is way better than hotel chairs.

It started Friday night at the Russell C. Davis Planetarium. When we arrived, Tim Russ, Garrett Wang, Natalija Nogulich, John Billingsley and his wife Bonita Friedericy were there mingling with everyone. Food was supplied by Hooters. We went into the theatre at the planetarium. John and Bonita sat two rows in front of us, and told us not worry if we saw them making out. They showed two Tim Russ films, Deva Vu & Roddenberry on Patrol. They also showed a NASA film with the last shuttle launch. The best part was a presentation by the planetarium where we looked at the stars, and they pointed out notible stars from Star Trek such as Ceti Alpha and Wolf 359. This was a highlight of the convention to see where in the sky these stars really are.

On Saturday morning, we arrived at the dealer's room and Tim Russ and Marina Sirtis were just hanging around visiting with people, then Natalija arrived. She was the first one on stage, and she talked about her acting career, involvement with ST, etc. She very nice to everyone.

Marina was on stage next. She had to leave that afternoon, so she appeared early. She had us laughing and crying as she talked about Dorn's idea of the "Troi/Worf" thing and also her relationship to Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett. She also talked about how she believed the new STXI went against everything Gene Roddenberry would have wanted.

Next they did the photo ops, and they went very smoothly. The developing took a little longer than I think they expected but nothing too terrible. All of the celebrities very very nice and greeted everyone that came in.

After that, Garret Wang took the stage. He was full of energy and hilarious, speaking about Kim's lack of promotion, lack of success with women, and Tim Russ's practical jokes. Also, when we came back from lunch, my wife and I along with our friends got on an elevator, and Garret jumped on at the last minute. He was really nice, and told us he was having a private convention just for us.

Tim Russ showed another film called Eye of the Beholder and also the new trailer for "Of God's and Men." He said that the computer graphics are not finished, so if you have seen the trailers, don't judge the CG to harshly yet. He also talked about his practical jokes. I won't spoil the stories, but I'll tell you there there are several episodes that I won't be able see the same way again.

Dominic Keating came on stage and talk about getting the job as Malcolm. He was later joined by John and Bonita. They were really out of control, and I don't think I have ever laughed they hard at a convention. Bonita tried to keep the guys under control, but that was impossible!

The autograph sessions were great. The celebrities visited with everyone, and personalized items. They really hung out with everyone all day, and didn't hide out in a back room some where. They all seemed sincerely happy to be there. John and Bonita made it a point to introduce themselve to everyone there and tried their best to learn everyone's names. It was impossible of course, buy they did try.

Saturday night they had their "Babel Bash," a banquet where Tim Russ performed. He was great. If you get a chance to hear him perform, do it. After he performed the song "Louisiana," Dominic led a standing ovation for him. Although Marina had left already, all of the celebrities visited everyone and were very nice throughout the evening.

Tim was busy signing copies of his CD, which is really good by the way. John, Bonita, and Natalija were all there to say goodnight to everyone. When we got on the elevator, we found ourselves again alone with Garrett. He talked with us for several minutes outside the convention center, and Dominic, who was talking to some people, made a point to walk over an say goodbye to us and talk for several minutes as well.

I could go on and on about this weekend, but I think I have taken up enough space already. Hopefully some other folks have great stories from this weekend to share as well.

SpinerFan47

Report this May. 08 2007, 2:44 pm

I was there!

LadyNRA

Report this May. 09 2007, 3:07 pm

Thanks so much for the con report!!!  I enjoyed it immensely!  On the other hand I was crying at the thought of missing an opportunity to speak with John and Bonnie.  I expected them both to be funny and entertaining and good to the fans and now I'm thinking "oh man!  I missed it!"  Well, my daughter and her prom came first.  So while you were enjoying their company, I was shelpping around from hair salon to getting the nails done to getting the make up done, to last minute gown alterations (most of which with her friend in tow getting ready for the same things).  And don't think I wasn't thinking of you guys after the 90 minutes of inhaling hair spray started to make me hallucinate.   :D

Well, if I'm lucky John and Bonnie will decide to go to Vegas this year as well!!!  The likelihood of my getting to meet them at such a huge con is pretty small but at least I'll get to hear them speak.

Targallian

Report this May. 09 2007, 4:40 pm

I just saw today that John will be at the Vulkon event in Cincinnati (I think? ) in July.

I don't know if this is true or not, but one of the people working at the event said that John doesn't like the big cons like Vegas because he doesn't get a chance to meet the fans. I don't know if this really the case, but after speaking with him several times and seeing how much fun He and Bonita were having, I wouldn't be surprised.

I have more John and Bonita stories if you like to hear them.

LadyNRA

Report this May. 10 2007, 4:50 pm

Quote (Targallian @ May 09 2007, 4:40 pm)

I have more John and Bonita stories if you like to hear them.

Thanks for the Vulcon info.  I'll have to see about that.  Cincinatti is about a 10 hour ride for us.  Doable.  Fun for the kids too, I think.  I could bring them along.

Heck yeah!!  Do tell more John and Bonnie stories!  I'd LOVE to hear 'em!!!

LadyNRA

Report this May. 11 2007, 11:14 am

Vulkon is in Columbus, OH which is even closer than Cincinnati.  Can do it in about 7 hours and since I have driven that kind of road before, it is definitely going on my schedule if I can find the cash to do it!

LadyNRA

Report this May. 14 2007, 10:57 am

Still waiting to hear some of those extra John  and Bonnie stories, Targallian :) ;)

Targallian

Report this May. 15 2007, 12:08 am

Sorry for the delay. It slipped my mind to give you these.

By the way, I may be going to Columbus myself. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Anyway, only a few more stories to tell. On Saturday morning, as I approached John to get his autographs, he was very gracious. He asked my name, and personalized a picture for me. Then he said hello to my wife, and asked what her name was. I asked him where his wife was, and he said he had a migraine, and that she was sleeping in a little and would joing him a little later.

When we returned later, Bonita had arrived. When I said "you finally made it," she told me that she had a migraine when she woke up that morning. I told her John had already told us that. She turned to him and said "Good, we have our story straight then!" He said, "No, I actually told them that you had crone's disease." This is an apparent ongoing joke between the two of them.

Shortly after, they did the photo op. If you got a photo op with John, you could get Bonita in the picture, as well. (No extra charge ). I actually had the photo op with John and Dominic. When I got in there, I asked John where the little woman was. He point past the photographer and said "She's hiding over there." She perked up and asked what we were talking about. I asked if she wanted to in the picture, so she ran over there and threw one arm around me and the other around John. John said, "Now why didn't they think of combination for a photo op." Dominic said something that I didn't catch. John said to him "You just want the Hooter's girls to come back so you can get a picture with them!" Dominic enthusastically argreed. (Dominic had arrived too late the night before to see the Hooter's girls that catered the launch party and was apparently very disappointed to have missed them. )

It's getting late, so I'll stop here, but I promise to write the rest tomorrow morning.

Good night, Lady NRA.

LadyNRA

Report this May. 15 2007, 11:10 am

Thanks SO MUCH!!!   :D  :D  :D   enjoyed what you've told me so far!

Yeah, it would be fun to catch up with you in Columbus.  I am still trying to get my husband to get his time off from work so haven't ordered the tickets but I'll be doing it soon!

Targallian

Report this May. 15 2007, 1:31 pm

And the final installment.

As I said before, Dominic was already on stage when John and Bonita came out. At first, Bonita sat in the audience so she could heckle John. Eventually, she came down to answer a question (I forget what the question was ), so John went up and took her seat. Finally, all they both ended up on stage with Dominic.

There was a re-creation of Kirk captain's chair on stage, and when John sat down in it, he pulled one of the knobs off, and threw it behind him, and then started working on another knob. Like a mother of a naughty child, Bonita would find the knob, put it back on the chair, only to have John pull it off again and throw it behind him again.

They talked about several things, how they met, work on ENT of course. Here are the two highlights of their time on stage:

A guy in the audience had his cell phone out and said that he had his brother on the phone who was stationed in Belgium and he wanted to know when they would be coming to Europe. John went down and got the phone and started chatting with the brother. He asked him if this call was expensive, and apparently the brother replied that he had free calling to the US. So John then said "I'll pass to phone around to everyone to say hi." My wife and I were on the front row, so he walked up to me and handed me the phone and told me to say hi and pass the phone around. The owner of the phone said "Hey, I'm paying for that call." John said "Oh, so that's how he gets free calls to the US!" I gave the phone back to the owner.The guy told me later that when Dominic left the stage, he took the phone and talked with the brother about Europe for a few minutes.

The second high point (and yes, this did happen, I have a picture! ) while they were all on stage, something was said about Dominic spanking John. Bonita said "I'd pay money to see that!" A lady sitting down from us jumped up and said "I would too" and she handed John some cash. (I don't know how much. ) John said he'd give the money to charity, I forget which one he said, and he knelt down and layed across a chair. Dominic took the cable of the microphone and began whipping John!!! Bonita, and the rest of us, were in tears from laughing so hard. It was hysterical!

John and Bonita remained on stage for a few minutes after Dominic left. They were last to appear on stage before the dinner break. When they left, they passed the table with the photo ops laying on them. The both pulled out Sharpies, and started signing all of the photos that they were in. I had already gotten mine, but when I saw what they were doing, I pulled my photo out and laid down in front of John and said "This is just magically appeared." John said something like, "Well, would you look that that. It did magically appear." He took it from me, and he and Bonita both signed it.

At the Babel bash, they both went around visiting with everyone. When we left, John was talking with a girl, probably about 10 to 12 years old. They were playing a memory game to see who could think of the most movies with a particular actor. John was very encouraging to her, and I'm sure that she will always remember that experience.

So, that's all I remember at this point. If I think of more, I'll let you know.

Sorry to hear that your husband won't be able to make Columbus. My wife is already taking off days for the Vegas Con and for another non-Trek vacation were doing. And since my friends are all cheap, hen-pecked losers, I'll probably be going to Columbus solo. Hopefully, I'll see you there!

LadyNRA

Report this May. 15 2007, 3:11 pm

Again, thanks so much for the stories.  I am so sorry I missed this but hopefully there will be some of this happening again at Columbus.

I am hoping my husband can make it.  He has to see if he can get off from work.  He does want to go.  Even if he can't, my closest friend in this state is a long-time Science Fiction fan, and she has already agreed to tag along if he can't come.   My younger daughter also wants to go.

I feel for Bonnie with the migraines.  My younger daughter has had them since she was 5 and they go through cycles when they are worse (like now).  In any case, she'd probably be good at the actors in movies game.  She and I play something like this all the time, though usually in reverse.  I'll show her the actor and ask her what else she knows him from.  But it's a similar idea.

LadyNRA

Report this May. 18 2007, 11:01 am

Just to let you know, the hotel is sold out for Vulkon.  I had to get rooms nearby.  However, i did get my tickets.  Since I'm driving, all I need to do is seriously start praying that the health of this family stays good and we'll be on our way.

Targallian

Report this May. 18 2007, 11:36 am

What hotel are you in? I need to book a room, too.

LadyNRA

Report this May. 21 2007, 1:17 pm

Quote (Targallian @ May 18 2007, 11:36 am)
What hotel are you in? I need to book a room, too.

Right across the street.  Best Value Inn or something like that.  If you call up the convention hotel and they tell you it's booked up (which they will) you can ask them to provide you with the #s of some of the local hotels/motels which they did quite willingly for me. This Best Value Inn is directly across the stree from the convention so should be easy to walk to.  The front desk clerk at the con hotel told me it's a simple walk right across the street.  Good enough for me.

Have you ordered your tickets yet?  (I have).

Targallian

Report this May. 21 2007, 1:32 pm

Actually, there is a note on the Vulkon site about how they have rooms set aside, but it is sold out to the public. I called them yesterday, and told them I would be there for the Vulkon event, and they got me a room with no problems.