Star Trek: Legacy

StaticBlue

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 12:43 am

So far it's not looking so great from my perspective.

Clumbsy, non responsive controls. Is quite obvious that the PC controls are a remap of the xbox controls.

Poor manual targeting system.

Not next-gen graphics. For a space game this is twice as bad since so much of the geometry can be dedicated to the ships since there is no terrain or people to render.

Can't even finish the second mission. For some strange reason if a ship you control is engaging with an enemy ship. After a bit you can not fire at that ship anymore. Once I target something else though it works fine for a bit. Then does it again. Trying to manage 4 ships with this god awful bug is ridiculous.

Bottom line. They should have finished the game instead of rushing to get it out before Xmas. Save your money and see if they patch it.

Was so looking forward to this game but, thats gaming. Its a gamble if you cant wait for a review.

Number_69

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 1:16 am

noticed not much talk or any reviews on the game.

greywolfe359

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 2:04 am

It sucks, big time.  Can barely get to play a multiplayer, rest of the game suffers from poor control and many bugs.  Don't waste your money like I did!

Arik_Soong

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 3:58 am

Did you DL the patch for it to fix the bugs

StaticBlue

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 4:24 am

Quote (Arik_Soong @ Dec. 07 2006, 4:58 am)
Did you DL the patch for it to fix the bugs

That just for some gamespy bug. The game has more problems than that. Camera bugs, combat bugs, mouse bugs, etc. I can deal with the sub par graphics. I just can't advance in the game due to bugs that stop my fleet from attacking. I really can't believe they released this in this state.

I really can't get over that whole "Stunning Next Generation Graphic" line they keep throwing around. Such BS. No bloom, no bump mapping. If you catch the side of the ship that is shadowed it looks celshaded and has no texture or depth. The textures are weak. The space background looks like a crappy tie dye shirt. I can't believe the guys at MadDocs art department watched the shows.

Hope they fix the bugs fast. They know they released it with them. There is do way they didn't. There needs to be a law about this. It's like buying a DVD and only getting a part of the movie. Gaming has no quality control but, needs it....badly.

greywolfe359

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 4:28 am

Yes, I downloaded the patch.  And everything Static says is right.  This game is a half-assed amateur job.  How can you release something with this many bugs?

masterarch300x2

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 9:12 pm

I hate the fact that I have to be in control of the camera at all times and I can't lock my course onto enemy ships.  The graphics are nothing in comparison to the website screen caps.

TX_TREKKER

Report this Dec. 08 2006, 11:15 pm

Wow. Well, As I a Star Trek Fan I like The game. Lets face it we have been long over due for the one "awesome" Trek Game. I thought Legacy would hold us unitl STO comes out but I am not sure. I see Legacy going down the same road as the SFC series.

Game Play

The game play is straight forward. Point and Click. The controls for me were awkward and I am still trying to get use to them. I don't like the fact that when you have a target the camera locks on the target. The next thing you know you are now following the target 360 degrees around your ship which got me turned around so many times. The camera issue really needs to be fixed or allowed to turn off.

Graphics

Well what I saw on the official site and what came out are two different things. To me the graphics were not state of the art. As a matter of fact I felt like all the ships were the original series era because they had that original series look to them. Not sure what happened with the graphics

Multiplayer

The multiplayer is bugged as heck. You can access the multiplayer menu but there is nothing that shows the rooms are full or how many players are online. There are only two game types Coop and death match. Playable species are Federation, Klingon, Romulan and Borg.

Conclusion

A patch can fix a lot of the issues. There already has been one patch released. Legacy fell way short of my expectations but as a Star Trek Fan I enjoy playing it because it something new. Until STO goes live.....

Borg_Unicomplex

Report this Dec. 09 2006, 2:23 am

Modders have already release alternate lighting sources for more realistic looks, customizable controls for keyboard layouts, camera and zoom functions for more outzoom and camera follow options, and nearly 14 ships I have found.

If you don't want put the effort in yourself to make this game reach its potential you have no right to complain!

Tannagra

Report this Dec. 09 2006, 5:37 am

Quote (Borg_Unicomplex @ Dec. 09 2006, 2:23 am)

Erm..maybe they just expected a game which costs quite abit to come 'Ready for use'? Maybe its just me but i know i would.

Why on earth should people be expected to finish off a game for the designers anyway?

Looks like another rubbish trek game and im glad ive found out as ill be saving some money now.

PlanetKiller_1017

Report this Dec. 09 2006, 11:44 am

I played it on a decent computer last night but it kept getting interupted by random programs popping up and one time like 100 search programs spawned. so im going to have to buy a 360 :( such a disapointment

TX_TREKKER

Report this Dec. 09 2006, 1:29 pm

Quote (Borg_Unicomplex @ Dec. 08 2006, 3:23 am)

I paid $40 for a unfinished game! I have a right to complain! Don't get me wrong..I support it but was just saying how incomplete it felt. Modders should only come into play when the game is dead....not just newly released IMO

Borg_Unicomplex

Report this Dec. 09 2006, 3:11 pm

I do agree that they should have done a better job but it is not the end of the game by far.

Noema

Report this Dec. 09 2006, 6:22 pm

Quote (Borg_Unicomplex @ Dec. 09 2006, 2:23 am)

You can't be serious. I have every darn right to complain about crappy and buggy software I've paid for, specially when they cost $40.

This isn't Linux. This isn't some open-source software created by a community to which everyone contributes, offering the product free of charge.

This is a game created by a corporation with the sole purpose of generating profit. It is their responsibility to offer a complete, bug free product for the consumers who are supporting the game with their money, not just rush it out the door and expect players to mod it until it's playable!

Borg_Unicomplex

Report this Dec. 09 2006, 7:15 pm

You have a right to complain to the company but not to others when you also won't put the effort in to make it good.

Yes the game as released is a pretty bad one that met very little expectations but because of how it's designed for easy modding it's potential is far from crap. Yes they did a bad job, yes the modding side is their easy way out to still make money, but well worth 30 bucks...