New Worries

STOCaptain01

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 5:58 pm

I was on mmorpg.com today and looked up Gods and Heroes. It turns out the devs recently announced something that disturbs me. The game will be instanced. Now hopefully, if they mean widespread instancing, they will change this, as im interested in Gods and Heroes for two things. One it looks like a cool game and was hoping to play it when it came out. Second, it would help STO when it comes out and while its in production.

So I decided to go to Godsandheroes.perpetual.com to see what they meant by instancing, wether it was GW style or just for dungeons, and if it was for dungeons then im fine with that.

Unfortunatly I could not find the answer. A lot of people, like me, are thinking its just for dungeons and such, not as widespread as GW. But if it is like GW instancing then I think it will go under. yes GW had a lot of ppl buying it, but it had no monthly sub.

oh and GW = GuildWars, which i dont consider an MMORPG.

Oh and PE devs, you should tell MMORPG.com about STO cause its not even on their development list lol.

68th

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:04 pm

I told you all about instancing in another thread and how I dont want it...I'm not even sure if instancing is the right term to use for what I meant. So is it?

I'm not sure about the following terminoloy ok.... I dont want to see any 'instanced' places, I think thats the correct term you use. Places that dont exist for everyone, and will only be available for...like people on missions etc. I want the complete opposite. I want EVERYWHERE to be available for players to roam all the time. Even your enemies homeworld, if you can make it there without getting blown up lol...also, I dont know if this falls under the same thing, but when I look out of the window on a ship or starbase, I wanna be able to see everything that is going on outside. Like say if a ship flies past or we're landing on a planet, I want to be able to see it.

STOCaptain01

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:07 pm

Instancing means, like a place only accesible to your group or yourself. So there could be like 30 insances of a a huge dungeon, anyone could access it but when u go inside, ull only be in there with ur group. They usualy only do it for places that a ton of ppl will go to, it prevents ppl from camping out and grinding, item steals, etc. An instance CAN be a place only accesable for a quest, but usualy arent.

HOwever, in GW everything was instanced for 1-8 players i think.

LargerMarge

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:08 pm

I want everything that 68th doesn't want because he obviously has no clue as to why certain things are done in a certain manner, like instancing.

68th

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:10 pm

Ah so I am right then. Then there definately shouldnt be any instancing at all, it sucks. 'Every' mission was instanced in MXO, and I hated it.

EDIT -

Which is why I'm asking you dip ####. Sorry I dont know all the computer lingo, gees I guess I dont play enough games to know what everyone is talking about all the time.

LargerMarge

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:15 pm

good for you Mr. Expert with tenure of all 1 game.

Instancing can indeed be 'overdone', but it is also an important part of the game to ensure that other players, such as yourself, don't screw with other people's missions.  Ostensibly, it is to prevent griefing, kill stealing and general mission f-ing around with.

Trep

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:18 pm

I don't believe in instances either. Especially not for Star Trek.

68th

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:19 pm

Yeh, my 'who to grief' list is getting bigger.

LargerMarge

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:21 pm

bring it!

Griefers don't get listened to, especially not griefers who cannot make a coherent argument.

Streamlined

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:24 pm

Coming from some old school games where nothing was instanced, and then playing some more recent titles that use it, let me just say that the lag and playability factor of the game definately increases in an instanced envrionment much more so then an non-instanced one.

However what instancing does is takes away from a sense of larger community when its just you and a few other people isolated trying to complete tasks. I think STO should definately use instancing for away team missions, but also have some missions in there that instance 2 or 3 different away teams that can compete against eachother.

As far as from non-away team enviornments, i'm willing to bet the holodeck portion of the game and starships in general will both be instanced environments.

68th

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:25 pm

Ha, first time I've been bullied for not being a computer geek

:cry:

LargerMarge

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:31 pm

I'm not bullying you because you are not a computer geek.   I'm just pointing out that the vast majority of your arguments and preferences are based upon extremely limited experience.  That limited experience prevents you from seeing many of the benefits of possible game mechanics.  But you are still a geek :kiss:

68th

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:42 pm

Quote (LargerMarge @ Nov. 27 2005, 3:31 pm)
I'm not bullying you because you are not a computer geek. I'm just pointing out that the vast majority of your arguments and preferences are based upon extremely limited experience.

Yeah I havent played every mmorpg under the sun, so what. I now know exactly what instancing is and I still think it's ####. It's very limiting and takes away the feeling of a truly huge game. What is the point in playing a mmo if every place of importance is instanced...I'd like to bump into people on a mission, or if another playable race is included, I wanna get 'griefed' as you call it. It adds some excitment and twists to the game.

Last post to you little boy, now get on with your homework!

STOCaptain01

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:54 pm

68th, actualy you werent completely right. Anyone can enter most instances, or maybe i just misread what you said. But anyway, we already know that there will be a little bit of instancing in our game, i just hope its not the whole game that has instancing for everything.

Bridges and Hologram room will be instanced, and maybe engine room. However it will work a little differently, theres only one instanced bridge per player ship, so its not like  the captain will be in Bridge1 and the medci officer in Bridge3. There will only be one but its to prevent lag, i mean who wants lag while fighting?  The hologram has obvious reasons to be instanced as it will have tons of "maps" and uses. Of course you might consider those "zones" which I think we all know. Zones are different parts of the game, like in SWG Naboo and Tatooine were different zones, so i guess u could consider Bridge and Hologram room zones, since you wont need to have a group to enter, it will have a max number of people an dmost likely the captain would have to give access permissions. Anyways, I hope they wont use too much instancing in our game.

STOCaptain01

Report this Nov. 27 2005, 6:57 pm

I noticed at the godsandheroes.com it says brought to you from the makers of Diablo II and ......

startrek online

anyways, thought it was a bit funny lol.

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra, FleetAdmiral_BamBam