Ground Combat

Trep

Report this Oct. 28 2005, 6:04 pm

I would prefer First/Third person shooter style because I am in control of my character fully rather than pressing attack and my character doing it for me and it being turn based and character skill based. Just because it's an RPG doesn't mean it has to be turn based. Stuff like that gets old.

Character skill/level could be determind by what weapons you could use or what science/medical instruments you could use.

Aiten

Report this Oct. 28 2005, 6:34 pm

I personally feel that to get the right feel for the game, your skill must be more important than character skill.  Almost like a normal FPS, but I do feel that there should be statistics included, but only to promote people progressing within the game.

One point I would like to stress, ground combat should not be what ST:O is focusing on.  In that respect, combat should be very easy to learn, but not easy to master.  If I were in developing, I would have ground combat almost like 'Operation Flashpoint' or 'Halflife' with a few minor stats (accuracy, damage, speed, health etc).
A simple system like that would allow everyone to have basic skills which can be increased as we learn ourselves (not the character) over time, and at the same time allow real progress to be made doing real professions, for example astrophysics.

Kinneas

Report this Oct. 28 2005, 7:07 pm

Yeah I would leave all the 'troop' combat FPS to get the 'Elite Forces' players...as well as many other FPS players.

VulcanInfiltrator

Report this Oct. 28 2005, 8:07 pm

Hasn't it already been cleared up that it will be FPS style?

JazH

Report this Oct. 28 2005, 8:39 pm

It was and then it wasn't... In the latest FAQ's its turned to a fast-paced combat situation.

In the earlier days of STO, Harry (Viacom/Paramount) commented that it would be almost FPS like. So it might not be pure FPS...but rather a Gods and Heroes style just fact paced, real-time RPG.

VulcanInfiltrator

Report this Oct. 28 2005, 8:48 pm

The latest FAQ's?

steve2001

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 3:29 am

I think that a FPS experience, ala Elite Force/Elite Force 2, is not a practical expectation from an MMO.  Even small amounts of lag affect clients drastically, and the server loads become utterly unmanageable for thousands of concurrent players.

I'd love an Elite Force experience, but I just don't see it as do-able anytime soon.

68th

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 2:37 pm

Quote (steve2001 @ Oct. 29 2005, 12:29 am)

So would I.

I was on MXO's boards for about a year before release. I kept telling everyone that this clicking icons, roll of a dice combat is terrible and incredibly boring but not many people would listen. The real fans of the films that haven't even seen the forums stuck around for about 5 minutes when they realised how the combat system works.

In my opinion, your hardcore mmorpg ers like to get their grubby mitts on any mmorpg out there, regardless of what it is about and completely ruin the game for everyone else (especially when it comes to combat). So please please go away you hardcore mmorpg ers, spare this potentially great game from your touch of death! lol :)

Trep

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 2:54 pm

I think that a FPS experience, ala Elite Force/Elite Force 2 is not a practical expectation an MMO. Even small amounts of lag affect clients drastically, and the server load becomes utterly unmanageable for thousands of concurrent players.

First, take a look at Planetside, never played it myself but I heard it was pretty good. It is an MMOFPS. It is possible. Secondly, if you have a high-speed connection lag won't affect you much. Plus, by the time they actually start working with servers they're going to use for the game, there will be newer technology able to support the entire game possibly lag-free.

Monkeymantjg

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 3:23 pm

I think I mentioned it before but the Doom III style first person shooter is cool ( and the ability to effect Panels and almost every object in the ( mission map ) didnt they say that  mission will be instanced I dont remember at this moment. in that case lag will be minimalised but how many people per instance ( Guild wars it slow creeped up from 4 to above ) how many people do you want on a combat mission?

Aiten

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 3:58 pm

Lag doesnt affect anyone with standard DSL connections.  If you get lag, its generally because your running a 56k dialup, you have to many programs running taking up bandwidth or the server you connected to is substandard.

I I havent been affected by lag in any MMO to date, I have only been affected by how my computer can display the information. (which wont be a problem with 2007+ computers)

Kinneas

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 5:14 pm

Lag....that's so...2004.
Seriously. Look at the roadmap for next gen gaming and the hardware we'll be using as soon Christmas THIS year. :)

Ellessar

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 10:58 pm

I agree with the general consensus here.  If you have lag issues when you are playing online games it is likey do to your computer and not internet speed.  Generally speaking you will haev a pretty lag free game experience if you have broadband.  If you aren't having that and you have broadband it might be time to think about a computer upgrade.
Too many people think that if you meet the minimum system requirnemnts of an MMO you will be fine.  That is not the case.  Meeting the min means only that you will be able to play.  Your computer should exceed any minimum system requirnemnts of any MMO you intend to play seriosuly.

For myself, I have run as many as four instances of SWG at once on my computer at home.  And only then with four intances running did I even begin to see some negative effects.  Its the machine you play on most of the time folks.

So I'm in favor of FPS.  Lag is not a reason to not have an FPS based system.  Besides it has been done in other MMOs and loads of other online games without too much trouble.  And its not like in an RPG based combat system that lag doesn't cause just as many combat issues.  If you lag out in the middle of a serious fight in virtually any MMO, you are dead.  It is not just in FPS based games that lag is a problem.

Gunfighter

Report this Oct. 29 2005, 11:06 pm

First/Third Person: Hit based on your skill, not your character's.  I want it like the game Voyager: Elite Force.

Monkeymantjg

Report this Oct. 30 2005, 11:50 pm

So how Many people will be able to play on an instanced map/mission
4 players
6 players
8 Players
16 players
32 players
64 players
128 players

How many will make the mission over kill

How many red shirts do we need to check out that dark mine shaft

LMAO