GM Tools

bjseward

Report this Oct. 13 2005, 5:03 pm

I'm not sure if this has been discussed...  But here goes...

One thing I disliked about SWG was the inability to develop missions.  I know they've added events, but I don't see it as fun.  I'm thinking more along NWN where a DM can influence a multi-player game.

Some ideas are:

Creating waypoints that tell a story
Adding encounters from a list
Adding NPCs to a mission

i.e.

A GM (captain most likely) decides to create a mission to infiltrate a Romulan starbase to rescue a Starfleet operative.  He creates four waypoints; 1) Mission briefing, 2) After they arrive on the starbase they discover the Romuans waiting, 3) They locate the operative, 4) Escape and debriefing.  Encounters would be groups of Romulans.  NPCs would be the operative, and whoever else to complete the story.

I see this as allowing freedom to develop a whole new mmorpg experience.  It would only be instanced to the designated crew, and it would in no way compromise PE storyline.

Opinions?

jimxye

Report this Oct. 13 2005, 11:45 pm

Such mission options will probably be more than available in the holodeck.

I'm not sure about GMing actual in-game missions, beyond the holodeck. It might interfere with the storyline the developers have put (or are putting) together.

bjseward

Report this Oct. 14 2005, 12:03 am

Quote (jimxye @ Oct. 13 2005, 8:45 pm)
Such mission options will probably be more than available in the holodeck.

The holodeck is something I'm looking forward to it.  I suppose it could be made to seem like mission.  It just seems simple missions created would befun.  But either way I'll enjoy STO.

Ellessar

Report this Oct. 14 2005, 2:37 am

This idea of GM's being "live event" staff is a direction a lot of MMOs seem to be going in these days.  To some extent GM's or CSRs in SWG do this now.  Of course with SWG the player has to request CSR support ahead of time for most live events.  There are random live events though that CSR's do run themselves.

MxO kind of improved on this idea and tried to focus a large part of their game upon expanding story and key to that expanding story were GM's with tools to create missions for players.  Hero's Journey an upcomming MMO is going to be very heavily influenced by GM staff.  The goal with Hero's Journey is to create as close to a totally unique experience for each character as possible through the use of GM's who can create quests, alter the game universe, etc.

I think this is a very good idea.  It adds a more organic element to the gaming universe.  Even the most clever pre-scripted mission can't compare to a unique new event that a GM is creating.  You can't Alt-Tab out and go to Stratics, Allkhazam, or the official forms for a mission walkthrough.  There is something to be said about live GM supported events.

Xenesis

Report this Oct. 14 2005, 11:17 am

Wasn't it mentioned that Admirals would probably have the ability to assign missions to ships?

Other than that, I don't like the idea of having the tools out there for anyone to use, as it could potentially be a disaster, even if it's reserved for captains or admirals only, there are still disruptive players out there that just spawn stuff to kill people for the hell of it. The only way I can see the tools in every regular players hands is if there are non disruptive elements to the tools, like just adding a waypoint and story, no mob or npc ship spawnings by the players, that should be left to the game. Once the Admiral selects a waypoint and mission type the game will spawn the appropriate npcs depending on the mission type.

Full GM tools should only be placed only in PE staff hands, I hope they do develop tools for GMs to do live events.

If the mission is explained well enough there isn't a need to go look up the walk throughs. In EQ almost every mission you have to look what you needed, where the mobs were, because the quests never gave out enough information, it's the opposite for WoW, which explains quests clearly enough that you never need to look it up outside the game, it amazes me sometimes when people ask about certain things in quests, I shake my head and think to myself, read the questlog over it gives every detail you need to know.

jimxye

Report this Oct. 14 2005, 12:56 pm

I agree with Xenesis. It would be dangerous to put other player character's lives in the hands of the commonly mischevious. Just out of incompetence, someone might make an enemy fleet of NPC ships beyond our capacity to defeat.

"Hey. Look what I can do." Hours later, a couple player ships get destroyed and you have tons of people complaining to the PE customer service desks.

I think PE staff should have that control. Them and guild Admirals. An admiral can create and issue missions for specific ships. Fleet Admirals can create and issue missions for any or all ships within the fleet.

PE can also provide a general disclaimer for all guild signups.

"By signing up, I do not hold PE responsible for the missions and actions I agree to participate in under the creative hands of other players within the enrolling guild."

I'm not saying they completely wash their hands of responsibililty. However, I'd hate for goofy people to point their finger at PE staff for their misjudgments in guild enrolling.

Since in this game your player doesn't die, if you get screwed over, you lose a little prestige... and you leave the guild a wee wiser.

Well, that was fun. Sounds kind of harsh though. :laugh:

Have a nice day everyone!

bjseward

Report this Oct. 14 2005, 5:03 pm

Quote (bjseward @ Oct. 13 2005, 2:03 pm)
Adding encounters from a list... It would only be instanced to the designated crew, and it would in no way compromise PE storyline.

I hate to repeat what I wrote, but the gm created missions would be story driven and available only to designated crew. Encounters would be chosen by a list, which would use PE routines concerning strength of encounters. NWN does calculation internally when you place enounters. So if a gm places 10 Romulans the program calculates their strengths according to your experience level.  But, yeah, maybe the Fleet Admiral or guild leader would be better suited to designing missions.

steve2001

Report this Oct. 15 2005, 1:38 pm

I think that these sorts of tools will be critical in the long term for the health and profit of ST:O. Players will always be able to consume content faster than any company can economically generate it. Having some built in tools will allow players to create content for other players. This can be instanced to not interfere with the general universe at all, but still allow for things to do when a player reaches the end of the provided 'content'. We all will get to the 'end' eventually, and most probably a lot faster than the Devs can make up new expansions.

I'd look forward to making up interweaving story arcs for my friends to explore and enjoy. I'd also enjoy experiencing the offerings of everyone else who cared to try to provide something. Some will be lacking, some will be great; only giving them a try will tell. Who knows, if some of it is really good, it may be selected to be incorporated into the game as 'official content' of some sort.

Kinneas

Report this Oct. 16 2005, 1:03 am

holodeck/suite

Users browsing this forum: DS9_FOREVER!