1st Survey Results In

Hobei

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 4:31 am

Guys & Gals,

The survey results are on the PE website DEVELOPER BLOGS

Makes interesting reading, althought there are some things I am not sure of. They said

But I don't know from where this information came from. If you look at the survey results there is not a question about which if your favority MMO. And the question about who played what shows the the community has played SWG most, with WOW second.

Any other thoughts?

Meliagan

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 6:24 am

Note that Daron Stinnett writes "I believe..."

Ellessar

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 6:54 am

Quote (Hobei @ Sep. 01 2005, 1:31 am)

[QUOTE]

What is so puzzling about that statement?  WoW is more popular than SWG, it has reach much higher sub numbers than SWG ever did.  In contrast, out of the folks who took the poll on the STO site more have played SWG than have played WoW.  There is nothing about favotire MMO, just about what MMOs folks have played in the past.

I assume they were expecting to see WoW come in at the top as to the amount of STO fans that have played MMOs. Given its popularity at the the moment that is. Though I don't find it all that suprising that SWG came in at the top of the MMOs played for the STO community. It is the most successful sci-fi MMO to date, and I have found that WoW has probably attracted more first time MMO gamers than it has hooked in veteran MMO gamers.

Hobei

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 7:01 am

I just wondered how they came to that conclusion from the poll. But if it is what they believe ( and alot of people would agree with them ) then that make sense.

Ellessar

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 7:09 am

Quote (Hobei @ Sep. 01 2005, 4:01 am)

[QUOTE]

What conslusion?  That WoW has higher sub numbers than SWG?  That is a fact.  SWG never broke the 500k mark.  WoW broke the 1 million mark only a couple of months in.   Around the start of the summer they were at the 2 million mark.  I believe they are approaching 4 million these days no that they are expanding their markets even more.

The conclusions about what MMOs and for how long the STO community have played were taken via the poll.  If you answered yes to the "have you played an MMO before" question then you went to a poll on how long you had played all of the MMOs listed in the poll results section.  Out of the 1549 that took answered the MMO experience question 1058 have played SWG before.  Where as WoW came in at 895 having plauyed it.

So I'm a bit confused about what you are trying to say here.

Jinto

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 7:15 am

it means if you play this mmo how long did you play it in months in my case
WoW 10
SWG 5 that game is broken period last i checked
Everquest 5-6
asorted other i tried out free trial all of which pale in comparison with WOW.

Hobei

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 8:20 am

Quote (Ellessar @ Sep. 01 2005, 4:09 am)

Out of the 1549 that took answered the MMO experience question 1058 have played SWG before. Where as WoW came in at 895 having played it.

So from those numbers more people who answered the poll played SWG rather than WOW. Therefore with out any other information it would appear that SWG is more popular that WOW.

So I am interested to know where they are getting the numbers that show that we (the STO community) rank WOW above SWG.

Now I agree that the subscriber numbers speak for themselves and show that WOW is more popular. But that does not necessarly mean that we (the STO community) would rank WOW higher than SWG.

kimNO

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 8:23 am

Since i got 3 years experience in Anarchy online, and got EVE as an 2. fav mmo, im one of those who got recorded as an wow fanboy. I was agreeing with Darons statement on the missing mmos before reading the results. I think trekies are way more Sci Fi fans than the average, but not shure, or maybe sci fi players could look for startrek online more easy.

On the matter of girls in mmo's, since i am one of the player playing in girl avatars in AO, i know i am an man, most girls are men in mmos, but some extremely few are girls.

Boys play mmo's more than girls, and the girls present seem to not be too different from the boys, they do PvP, some play other games as Unreal, etc, some are having family, and are extremely wide group, but they are in my opinion about 5% of the player mass in some games, who got 20% or 30% of female avatars.

I simply think many mmo's lack anything atracting the average woman and girl, since the average game is about farming xp, and generally either do waried missions, killing mobs in playfields, mining etc, but all MMO's seem to got an grinding element, and all players feel they need to level, think this is what makes is boyish, since it seems extremely booring, and it is. Most games seems to got content who is retundant and not used, since its 10% more inefficient to get XP and money.

DougQB

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 9:33 am

I knew there were a lot of MMO players on the forums, but I had figured there was a higher proportion of ST fans who were considering an MMO for the first time.

I didn't expect a very large percentage myself.  In fact, I'm surprised the percentage is that high.  I wonder to what extent the recent trip to Vegas may have had an impact on that number?

It would be interesting to know how most people end up getting started on a MMOG.  A friend talked them into playing perhaps?

Many people have warned us to avoid the 'grind' in the forums.

I'm not sure that one can be avoided though.  If players like a game, more often than not there are goals they eagerly work towards.  They don't have to 'grind' anywhere you see, but choose to do so for the sake of attaining those goals.  So chances are its a good game if players willingly choose to grind towards some goal.

So is it the nature of the forums?  Surveys?  Or is it that males are just more likely to get interested in a game long before it launches?

I don't know, but I don't know to many women who eagerly seek information about upcoming game releases.  What are the most likely sources of news and information for them?

While many women who play various online games tend to prefer the social aspects, do they spend as much time on the message boards?  Do they prefer to chat live over spending time writing up a post?  Is the nature of the message boards to stressful for some people?  How many have time or interest?

This is a game.  It is entertainment.  Both are things people tend to do as social groups.  If none of my friends are playing, or if my friends are playing something else, will I still play?

Perhaps the biggest problem to overcome is figuring out the right questions to ask?   :p

Hobei

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 9:42 am

:p

That is true for so may things...

DougQB

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 9:50 am

Oh, and the MMO is preferred by Enterprise fans? Everquest I. With Ultima Online a close second. Go figure...

Thanks for posting the info with comments, I find such information rather interesting.  Of course, as pointed out by others here, I'm not sure how conclusive it is to say which games are preferred.

It might have been more meaningful if we were able to compare how long players have been playing MMOGs with the games being played.  Perhaps an 'other' catagory would have been helpful.

Your data has me down for about 6 months of playing time on the games listed, but I've been playing various MMOGs for about 15 years.  Then again, perhaps only the newer and fancier 3D graphical MMOGs count.   :p

I'm sure you don't need me to nit pick at the survey, the results are still factinating, and provide us with some insight, not to mention they are fun to look at.

Thanks again.  :)

LargerMarge

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 10:01 am

Quote (Hobei @ Sep. 01 2005, 1:31 am)
Guys & Gals,

The survey results are on the PE website DEVELOPER BLOGS

Any other thoughts?

--------------------------

They are contrasting the results of the poll with factual subscription numbers.   That statement was not a result of the poll.   If you had actually read it, they aren't saying they GOT that result from the poll.

Keogh

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 11:53 am

startrek.perpetual.com
GRINDING

I'm hoping that we'll meet expectations for STO to be less time intensive. My view is that an aversion to the time investment is driven by two factors: compelling content (or lack thereof) and social pressures. Many people have warned us to avoid the 'grind' in the forums. I haven't played much of SWG, but I understand that the grind is especially ugly there. Providing lots of compelling missions and a variety of interesting activities is one way to address the grind. I certainly hope we can avoid the mistakes that others have made and I know we have a budget to build plenty of content. But no matter how compelling the content, I believe that the need to keep up with friends can be a big turn-off for some. No matter how fun the missions/quests are, trying to catch up with my buddies (who often have more free time than me) makes them less compelling. Star Trek certainly offers great opportunities to address this issue given the emphasis in the shows on mixing high and low ranks. It's a paradigm in which we intend to take full advantage.

Daron

I feel its important to speak to this issue. I'll try to adequately articulate my position, because I don't feel Daron gets it ( doesn't understand what some may consider a grind ).

Speaking for "myself" a grind, is not lack of compelling content or the emotional or physiological need to keep up with friends. I consider any system that at it's roots is based on "leveling", that then intentionally sets up that system to inhibit or impede a player's ability to gain experience at a rapid rate in an attempt to keep people playing longer ( because the developer feels that preventing players from hitting the level cap for a long time will retain players ) is GRINDING.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Social Pressures should not be thought of in the vacuum of STO or MMO's in general. Keep in mind, from the poll results ( sampling 3000 ) 53% are between the ages of 25-55, and they do have social pressures; wives, husbands, children, jobs, etc.

Xenesis

Report this Sep. 01 2005, 12:36 pm

Interestingly, but perhaps not so surprisingly, the relative popularity of MMOs among people interested in STO differs from that of the general MMO playing population. I believe the subscriber base numbers rank the top MMOs in this order: WoW, EQII, SWG, CoH. With WoW in the lead by a wide margin

The order does look correct, cept he missed EQ in between WoW and EQ2.

If you want an idea of the sub numbers for most mmogs... http://mmorpgchart.com/

That should make some of you happy.

UncleMo

Report this Sep. 02 2005, 4:30 am

Only 4% women, I know so many female players on DaOC, GOOD ones.  (Verified by Teamspeak chat)
That number will go up for sure.