Ship interior

detritus222

Report this Aug. 27 2005, 1:53 pm

One thing I would very much like to see is that the ships in STO be representitive of the full interiors of the ships from the star trek universe.

Games such as Elite Forces  gave us a limited ability to explore the ships, but were limited to preselected coridores and rooms.

What I want to see is a full ship layout...
It should have all the areas we normally expect.. bridge, turbo lift, engineering main deck, sick bay, transporter room ect....

To create a emersive star trek envirornment I think there also needs to a full reppresentation of the enterior of the ship.
Each deck should be present as a fully layed out, and explorable space. Sure, this will mean a lot of Crew quarters room with not much in them, but that's ok, it still adds to the realilistic envirornment.

What it also means is areas like torpedo bays, phaser controll rooms, antimatter storage, jeffries tubes to engineering spaces, plumbing, power transfer areas, computer cores, dangerous areas like the warp field generators, and power feeds for the deflectors. Shuttle bays. There must be storage for the raw material for the replicators. Recreations areas (more than the holodeck) such as the arberitium, gyms, observation decks. Prep areas for EVA activities with suits and air locks. Envirmental controls. Gravity generation. Shield generators. Impulse engines.  Armories. ect, ect.

That's a short and very incomplete list I came with in about 5 minutes.  The point is that a star ship is a city in space. Just like an air craft carrier in the real world. It should feel like one.

Yes, and I do plan on playing an engineer, and I really want to expore and work in those areas. For instance I can see a senerio in my head were a ship has been severaly damaged in a conflict.

Repear of this battle damage might require taking the power feed to the warp engines offline (to make the area safe to work  in, nobody wants to to be in the warp engines with power flowing to them), and engineer of high enough rank with proper skills to travel into the warp pods themselves and repair compoinents. This adds a sense of danger because having crew up in the enginges means the ship is vulunable to attack because power is offline. This menas the captain needs to find a dafe spot, even if just hiding behind a planet for a short while, while the ship is repaired. (Yes I'm think of senerios like those from Wrath of Kahn here.)

I want to be crew on a star ship, very badly. It's hard to feel like that's been acomplished with out having a "real" star ship to serve on.

stdan27

Report this Aug. 27 2005, 2:19 pm

Well the only problem that is on large ship will take along time to build but smaller ships like a Defiant i don't see why not..

Treaten

Report this Aug. 27 2005, 3:38 pm

Building large ships doesn't have to take forever. All you have to do (I think/hope) is create a general set of pieces, and put them together to make corridors. Copy these corridors and you will have a basic floor plan. Within the spaces, create the areas that will be required, such as engineering, turbolifts, ect. This should make a ship.

They're nice ideas, and I certainly hope that they are included in STO. If perps can manage a level of detail that great, then STO would be a contender for best MMO of the decade. Unfortunately, I don't think that they will make it that complex, but certainly somewhere close to it.

buk1237

Report this Aug. 27 2005, 4:51 pm

On the smaller ships yes but when you get to a soveriengn class it would take a long time create the whole of it...wait what am i saying the game is gonna take ages anyway.

counter

Report this Aug. 27 2005, 5:39 pm

I also think the interiors should be unique to their class. The inside of an Akira class or Sabre should not look like the inside of a Galaxy or Sovereign. These ships are unique in themselves and should not be clones of the more familier classes. It make the experience more real and helps the player identify more with his assigned ship and his character.

Rexor

Report this Aug. 27 2005, 5:50 pm

Once I actually get lost inside a ship, I'm satisfied with the complexity of the ship interior design!

This might be off-topic: One thing I'd love to see in ST:O... Step in a turbolift, set the chat to local and type in your location. Voice activation!

xLagamorphx

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 9:28 am

One problem with full ship interiors though....I would get lost sooooooo often ^^;;

buk1237

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 10:42 am

That would be amusing but i think they would give us a map.

The42ndRogue

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 12:17 pm

Starfleet ships have directories throughout the corridors as a rule.

Anyway, fully generated ship interiors would be awesome, although I could sacrifice some less important things for other parts of the game, like the full network of Jeffries Tubes.

To remedy this, however, perhaps certain missions or circumstances would enable the Jeffries tubes to be used, so that we didn't have people crawling around inside the ship for the heck of it.

Unless, of course, you looking for the best acquostical position on the entire ship (see "Lessons," TNG).

I definitely want at least the main corridors and stuff, along with the bridge, Engineering, Sickbay, transporter rooms, shuttlebay(s), Ten-Forward (or its equivalent), etc.

MyOwnSling

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 1:01 pm

Another consideration is the system resources involved in rendering a full ship's worth of corridors and such.  If you look at a Sovereign class, you have close to a kilometer of stuff to render.  The only other game I've seen that render kilometers at a time is Farcry, and that was just an outdoor environment, not one with all kinds of complex conduits and corridors.  If we really want this to work, then we may need to prepare to get better computers.

detritus222

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 2:41 pm

Rendering really isn't a problem. Your computer only has to spend time drawing thigns that are visable. If there is a bulkhead door between you and the next section of corridor no time is spent drawing the items behind it.

I would think designer time and distribution size would a bigger issue.

MyOwnSling

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 2:59 pm

That is a good point.  The problem I see is that not everybody's computers are good enough to render detailed models and textures on the fly, you'd start to get frame rate problems or things that take a second or so to render while you watch.  This may not be that big of a problem by the time STO releases.  The devs may come up with a sloution or the target computer won't have this problem.

counter

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 4:38 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed on that. I think for a startrek game like this detail is important as well as a high object interaction ability. Half the fun of a game like this is in experiancing the details.

Magecu

Report this Aug. 28 2005, 6:16 pm

As far as ship desing they should build their own ship editing/design software.
One ship is normaly made in a standard way with cabins and coridors looking the same.
So basicaly they just prepare a base set of textures and models for one ship.
Then by using the design software they could combine the elements of the ship acording to plans that are allready compiled on different hompages/books.
The only places that would need some aditional artistic and creative efort wopuld be the bridge, engenireeng, sickbay and recreation facilities.
All the other elements would have to be done anyway even if only a smaller part of the ship would be rendered, so they would only have to reuse them and ad some minor changes not to make it to monotonous.

As for rendering this can be easily solved as you see only part of the ship and not all you render only what you need. As you aproach an area that is not yet loaded in the 3D card the new enviroment is added and the old and furthes is unloaded. Isn't this why agp and pci-e were designed for. An easy map could be used for determining what is the next section and ad id dinamicaly to the set. As for the outside view a diferent mesh and textures would be needed anyway.

So basicaly buy putting just a little more efort they would get far more content to show.

I belive that by my post is obvious I want to see well and as fully as posible designed ships in the game.
If adding jefrys tubes would be too much some could be left out, and some decs that are just for crew quarters could be left out too, but this wouldn't be the ideal solution.

CC_machine

Report this Aug. 29 2005, 6:02 pm

Quote (counter @ Aug. 28 2005, 1:38 pm)

Please people don't talk about stuff that you dont know about anyway.. you can have detail and vast areas to explore because the things close up would be rendered with the most detail but things further away would not be rendered with as much detail.. this is the basics of a LOD (Level-Of-Detail) system.

Users browsing this forum: miklamar