FACTIONS the Poll

SirCedric2

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 9:56 am

Ok this is a hot topic on the forums, so I would like to gage everyones vote on the matter.

Seems like almost everyone wants a 2nd faction at the start, but PE doesn't have the man power, or money to get it done. So they say.

So voice your thoughts here on the topic, maybe things will change down the road.

Cormoran

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 10:00 am

fifty fifty at two votes :p

I don't mind fed only but to clarify it must be far more indepth of a faction than what we've seen previously in MMO's. If starfleet ends up as superficial as any other mmo faction i'll be extremely unhappy.

Keogh

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 12:09 pm

So its beat the "dead horse" time?

As was pointed out, PE addressed this issue and their answer was, NO to multiple factions.

If you can't live without multi-factions, you'll need to be willing to compromise. What are you willing to do for multi-factions; accept less content or a greatly prolonged development timetable, etc.? You might want to start a new poll that asks the community how long are they willing to wait for the game to release in order to get additional factions. Would you happily wait an additional 3 months, 6 months, 1 year or 1.5 too 2 years? This could mean that the game could possibly release any time between late 2007 to 2009 or beyond. You could also poll players on the topic of the content they would be willing to give up in order to get factions included. Are they willing to have a smaller game world, less character customization, fewer career choices, fewer equipment and ship choices, less variety in story arcs and mission types, etc., etc.?

Renaikan

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 12:37 pm

Factions at launch!

TheDigitalDiamond

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 1:46 pm

I voted either way.  As a player I'd want more options than just starfleet at the beginning, as a developer I'm staring right down the barrel of content creation issues and declaring that anything more than the federation being playable in the beginning will require that everything be made far less content rich.   Would you wanna play in the full blown Starfleet, or would you prefer a halfass klingon empire and a skeleton Starfleet?

Ellessar

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:25 pm

Quote (Keogh @ June 26 2005, 9:09 am)
So its beat the "dead horse" time?

[QUOTE]

That does not mean anything.  If you were here at the start you may remember that the Federation races that were planned were far different than the ones currently planned.  Klingons were in StarFleet.  Things change, and this can too.

My answer is factions at launch.  I don't want to hear this I don't have enough time crap.  I don't care.  That is a piss poor excuse.  Other games manage to put out good games with multiple factions and do so in equal or lesser time than PE has to develop STO.  If they absolutly can't make time, they can get a bigger developing team.  Yeah, it may cut into the profits a little, but from my end I really don't care about that.  They can also delay the game a bit if they absolutly have to.  I would be willing to wait a bit longer if it meant factions.  I don't believe they should need extra time, but I would not be opposed to the idea.

TheDigitalDiamond

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:30 pm

When other games put out factions they don't have to design a fleet of ships, home worlds, outposts, colonies, completely independant missions and diplomatic hierarchies....  You'd do well to start giving a crap regarding the developmental hurdles something as boundless as STO presents.

Ensign101101

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:31 pm

Na.. lets just  start with the homeboys then expanions and $50 will bring the rest  8 months down the line.

Mind you it would be nice to have more than starfleet at the start  but i can wait for kilingons.

TheDigitalDiamond

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:34 pm

*Nods & Adds*

It's a standard practice to attempt to design a base of the game well first then add expansions later, both for developmental reasons, and obviously for monetary reasons.   Quite frankly, I'd pay extra to a team that managed to full represent a Star Trek species in an expansion.  It needs to start with Starfleet, though I'd like to see independants in the Federation like merchants, that's a whole other level of complication I wouldn't want to add to development initially either.  I agree with the current schedule and content to be initially released.  It's later on down the line that I'll demand more and more based on where the largest gaps are.

Keogh

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:41 pm

Quote (Ellessar @ June 26 2005, 11:25 am)
[quote=Keogh,June 26 2005, 9:09 am]So its beat the "dead horse" time?

:laugh:

Ellessar

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:46 pm

Quote (Keogh @ June 26 2005, 11:41 am)
"Maybe it boils down to this, perhaps PE wasn't the right choice to grant the Star Trek MMO license too. Perhaps it should have been granted to an established developer with more resources?"

By the way, I'm aware of the Klingon issue. Is your 1,000 plus number of posts supposed to make you a wise sage or impress me? If so, it doesn't.

:laugh:

[QUOTE]

It has nothing to so with post count.  You said NO like that meant there is no possibility of change.   I simply pointed out that change has occured before and thus may occur again.  I'm sure PE thought they were doing a good thing by including Klingons as a Federation race.  Just like I'm sure they think that one faction is a good idea.  They changed one pretty core idea, they may change another.  If that makes me a wise sage than I guess I am.

As to perhpas PE is not the right man for the job so to speak.  Yes, I have thought that many times.  With their current plan for development I think more and more that perhaps someone else may have been better.

TheDigitalDiamond

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:47 pm

Actually, for STO, I'd tolerate a company with less experience because that means fresh insight.  I'm tired of the ####tards from SOE's Everquest continuing to regurgitate the same ideas wherever they're contracted to develop.  MMORPG development teams are assembled from members that worked on other games quite often, which is why I've dipped my hand into nearly 10+ MMORPG projects.  The community shares the developers, which is why we keep getting the same lame ### games or features sometimes.

I wouldn't want a company full of asses set on doing things one way working on something as important as STO.  Yes, STO is important, just like SWG should've been.   STO has 40 years of constant history though, SWG only has 6+ movies, the fanbase and budgets are on entirely different levels.   Star Wars was all glitz and glamour, Star Trek pimped content.   It's that simple, we need someone willing to haul ### on all that content, not these already established companies with a track record of sacrificing content for whatever reason they could aimlessly justify.

Cormoran

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:52 pm

Still half and half at 20 votes.

TheDigitalDiamond

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:52 pm

Indeed, fascinating.

Ellessar

Report this Jun. 26 2005, 2:54 pm

Quote (Cormoran @ June 26 2005, 11:52 am)
Still half and half at 20 votes.

[QUOTE]

Yeah, and I think that hints at one thing.  You are going to have a lot of unhappy people at launch.  You can't say that form polling is an exact science, but I think it gives you a good idea how the general community will fall on issues.