Dual Weilding

Tirak

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 8:56 pm

Say your running through your ship (its under attack) and you come across a dead security officer who dropped his phaser. you already have one, but because they are small, you put one in each hand and continue through out the ship.

Now this example is VERY vauge, but should we be able to dual weild, and what weapons should you be able to dual weild.

Jonbert

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 8:58 pm

I don't know about using both hands to weild weapons, but I would definitely like the ability to perhaps use a tricorder in one hand and a phaser in the other for example, perhaps using the tricorder as a 'radar/proximity scanner' and pointing my phaser and arm mounted torch into the darkness :D

Ortus_Sapienta

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:07 pm

Dual wielding increases your firepower but decreases accuracy.

Weapons lockers are distributed around the ship. Why not simply holster the hand phaser and break out a rifle?

I could be quite happy with a tri-corder phaser dual wield, but going all cowboy with two phasers doesnt really sit well for me.

~Ortus

Jediwheels

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:19 pm

I like the idea of dual wielding items. I certainly agree with Jonbert that you should be able to carry and use both a weapon in one hand and a tricorder or other device in the other. I would like to be able to use two type-II phasers at once, but nothing larger: having a guy running around with a phaser rifle in each hand and a third slung over his shoulder is a bit much. While I don't mind wielding two hand phasers at once, I am not sure that I would want to see everyone doing that, which is what will happen if it is implemented without some form of control or restriction. In the series we do not see Worf firing two weapons at once where he most likely could have. It would have to be some skill or ability, yet one that does not make for "uber" combat and one that not everyone will, ultimately, need to have to be competitive/sucessful. There are my convoluted thoughts on the matter for the moment :)

5_of_68

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:33 pm

Going Akimbo with phasers is a little too Doom and not enough Star Trek for me. The Tricorder/Phaser combo would be an interesting combination... and maybe grant a bonus of prox/radar for a moderate loss of accuracy.

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:41 pm

Tricorder and phaser at once is alright, but two phasers really is not Star Trek at all. I don't want people running around with two phasers all the time pretending to be cowboys. Besides, phaser damagee should be high enough to begin with that carrying two would end up hurting your chance in battle rather than improving it.

Tirak

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:43 pm

I'm just thinking of Halo 2, i don't think that in the game phasers will be as powerful as in the shows.

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:48 pm

They will be as powerful as the shows as long as I am here and #####ing that they should be as powerful as the shows. -_-

Star Trek combat should be about shooting and dodging, not about hitting someone fifty bajillion times until they finally fall. It would completely kill my suspension of disbelief to handle it any other way.

Tirak

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:53 pm

If i've learned anything in my time playing video games, its that one hit kills without a sniper rifle destroy game immersion.

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:55 pm

The Rainbow Six series will serve as my counterexample. That game has essentially one-hit kills, and game immersion is not killed at all. In fact, it adds to the immersion. While one-hit kills may not be good for every game, it is good for slow-paced, tactical games. This is precisely what I am hoping for Star Trek: Online to be.

Tirak

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 9:59 pm

They were one hit kills as long as you shot them in the head, a bullet penetrates and blows everything to hell and gone, a phaser does not penetrate, and kindly cauterizes the wound for you.

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 10:03 pm

We have seen how phasers are able to in one hit incapacitate an opponent. They can be reconfigured to kill or even vaporize enemies in one hit as well. Regardless of the dynamics, we have seen phasers deal with enemies in one hit in Star Trek.

Tirak

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 10:14 pm

Which is why they should take more then one hit, a phaser could kill you if it hit your finger tip. now think of what would happen the first few battles where the corners are glitchy and the devs "forget the weapon is not part of you so if it is hit you should not take damage".

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 10:20 pm

Corners glitchy? Huh? You are not making much sense. All I am getting from this is that the developers will forget that phasers are not a part of you, and that if your phaser is hit, you'll get damage. That probably won't happen, though. Hitboxes make all the difference there.

Nezhdan

Report this Jun. 13 2005, 10:25 pm

Dual "Woo style" phasers? Nah.  But I think a Tricorder/Phaser is an excellent combo.