Damage control

Pharazon

Report this May. 05 2005, 11:13 pm

I have a question concerning combat and the engineering professions.  When a ship and its crew are engaged in combat, is the action limited to the bridge? Or will it spill over to the other areas of the ship represented as well?  For example, will we have explosions and fires cropping up in the hallways of a heavily damaged ship?  Loss of atmosphere in certain sections? More importantly, will we have players scurrying about the ship trying to stave off this destruction?

Protoavis

Report this May. 06 2005, 1:38 am

I would it involve everyone....I mean if it didnt the ship could be in combat and no one but the bridge would know. As ships can also be boarded during combat I would assume that repairing the ship would also be occuring.

SirCedric2

Report this May. 06 2005, 7:12 am

I think there will be a safe zone setup on the ships, at least the bigger ones. I read that if a ship is boarded during combat, you will not even know it in those areas. Might work the same way for ship to ship combat too. But I am just guesting.

naynayz

Report this May. 06 2005, 4:19 pm

Quote (Protoavis @ May 05 2005, 10:38 pm)

I agree with you. this is probably how it will be. it should all be happening at the same time.

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this May. 06 2005, 7:46 pm

I know Perpetual is smart enough not to overlook the fun engineers can have doing repairs during combat. If people are going to be running around trying to fix the ship, then I would imagine Perpetual would want to put in interesting show effects. And, of course, repairs would have to have some purpose, or people will not like doing them as much. Players prefer to do things which do have some purpose and will benefit someone. So I would imagine there would be some actual negatives to damage.

As for SirCedric, safe zones for boarding parties seem reasonable. I do believe that if there is a safe zone, though, you should know if the ship is under attack. I wouldn't mind some spark effects or something. There shouldn't be a hull breach there, though. That would be going too far.

Whoa101

Report this May. 07 2005, 8:57 am

I like the idea of a Safe Zone..

I know , from past experience, it is very annoying to have to go AFK for like as little as 10-20 seconds, and come back dead.

If i knew that the ship was going to be going into combat, and i needed to go AFK for, say, 10minutes, i could just go to this safe zone and be secure in the knowledge that I would not be killed..

Excellent idea..

Users browsing this forum: heronymous