Your Bridge

skrasis2

Report this Mar. 29 2005, 6:14 pm

We all know that we will be getting some clunker for our first ship and that we can add upgrades and other things to it.  I seem to recall that in ST I : TMP that they said they changed the bridge as part of its refit.  Should we be able to swap out the bridge for another design?  I personally love the Excelsior. I think the design is awesome but I hate the bridge that was in it in ST VI.  I really like the Enterprise-D bridge and would love to have that bridge on that ship.  I do  think however that someone should not be able to use the Enterprise-D bridge on a Defiant class as its too small.  Or should we just have the stock bridge and thats it?  Also should would be able to change the captains chair for instance?  We have seen plenty of examples of that or is that getting too Sims ish?

What do u all think??

Skrasis    :logical:

DarkBiolizard

Report this Mar. 29 2005, 6:22 pm

I like the idea of customisation but it should be limited, I'm thinking just small changes like the colour scheme and positions of crewmen rather than complete physical changes which are uncanon. Refits could bring about larger changes like the Captain's chair and more updated equipment, but overall IMO the bridge shouldn't deviate too much from the specs.

Cormoran

Report this Mar. 29 2005, 6:43 pm

I agree with DarkBiolizard on this one, colour schemes and everything is fine but i don't think you should be able to change entire rooms, you get a ship, you get that ships bridge.

One thing that irked me in bridge commander was when you did the simulations if you chose a different ship you'd still have the exact same bridge, looked real funny when you changed views and your nice enterprise bridge turned into a klingon bird of prey.

ob1klone

Report this Mar. 29 2005, 7:33 pm

I could see some minor cosmetic upgrades. Different chair styles or hand railings, or something of that nature. I'm not to sure about color though, unless the options were limited to a select few. I don't want someone to start with a type of ship, and through upgrades end up with a totaly new ship.

R2X

Report this Apr. 19 2005, 3:42 am

HOW ABOUT THE LAY OUT LIKE LOCAL OF THE CONN OR OPS BUT IN THE GIVEN AREA OF THE ORGIONAL BRIGDES FLOOR PLAN SO YOU MAKE AN ENTERPRISE D LIKE BRIGDE ON A NOVA CLASS OR ECT.:cool:

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this Apr. 19 2005, 7:11 pm

Stop shouting.

I tend to agree with everyone else. Smaller changes like color are a must. I could go either way with moderate changes, like moving stations around. I lean towards a no, though. Larger changes I definitely say no to.

IanCrawford

Report this Apr. 19 2005, 8:22 pm

i think there will be certain small changes available..consoles and so forth once you start to modyfy your ship and upgrade it to a more modern spec.

Kinneas

Report this Apr. 19 2005, 9:06 pm

Mmm I love tinkering and designing too... and with the textures and skins applied to tomorrows SIMS is far from the Disney-esque stylings of the SIMS, though underneath it's all the same engine.

The more SIMSlike/Sim City/ Sim Tower aspects there are 'underneath' may be proportional to it's popularity.

I'm seeing examples of using Poser 5-like models with High Rez skins. It's pretty amazing how real these models are getting.
---

MAXIMISE

Report this Apr. 20 2005, 5:03 am

OK, changes to colour scheme would effect the entire ship. And I am all for it. Carpeting, Trim and paneling all seems to be coloured differently between ships. The Defiant was blue carpet with a complementary colour scheme for trim and panels etc, but the Defiant/Sao Paulo was a light purple (from memory). If we are allowed, as Captains/'crew vote' to change the colours, it would be very cool. But classically, the ship colours and logos would all be pre-designed. I don't envy the crew that gets yellow carpet with hot pink trim. :sick:

I think we may also get a lot of problems with everyship being the "cool" colours. Like Grey and Black, or Enterprise-E colour scheme with the Moron and darker shades. Then of course there would probably be the USS Mojo, with "far-out" "groovy" colours and disco lights. :p

As for bridge customisation, I think it should be based on upgrades, ie, if you have raised your ship up to a new level of beefyness you have the option of installing a new Bridge. Perhaps there would be ways to get a new captains chair, or one of those weird hologram interfaces that wre used for like half a season in DS9?? :)

Max

PicardToEnterprise

Report this Apr. 21 2005, 8:11 pm

Well, we all know that the bridge is placed in the smartest place possible: completely exposed at the top centre of the saucer section.  The Star Trek Technical Manual states that the bridge can be completely replaced as a module, due to its convenient location.  That's how the bridge supposedly was changed during the original enterprise's refit.  Therefore, the captain could choose to call in a few favours from drydock and get the bridge module updated.

MAXIMISE

Report this Apr. 21 2005, 9:23 pm

But could you fit a square in a circular hole? :)

Max

PicardToEnterprise

Report this Apr. 21 2005, 11:25 pm

A small square, yes :P... they could have connecting tendrils to let it fill up the whole space, thus making the bridge EVEN MORE vulnerable :d

MAXIMISE

Report this Apr. 21 2005, 11:27 pm

LOL, I was thinking of having a sun roof on my bridge. Open it when nothing is going on, or when I want to flip the bird to my enemies.

Max

STOCaptain01

Report this Apr. 21 2005, 11:31 pm

I was wondering about something that they have been saying. They said the bridge would be instanced. Are they making it so only a max amount of ppl can be in it and when its reached no more ppl can come in? I hope people who are stationed on the bridge will have some power cause I'd hate to be locked out.....and I'm the captain....

:bugout:

HL

Report this Apr. 22 2005, 1:04 am

The instanced bridge occurs at the beginning of the game on an NPC ship.  Not later when you become captain.