Weapon Types and career paths

maximum9111

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 10:52 am

For example: I am a ensign from the helm career.  But intruder alert sounds on my deck.

Do you think that I would be able to use the holodeck as a training tool and reach the same rifle proficiency as a security officer even though they specialize in it?

ian967

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 11:54 am

Quote (maximum9111 @ Jan. 23 2005, 7:52 am)
For example: I am a ensign from the helm career. But intruder alert sounds on my deck.

no way it shouldent be allowed maybe get your hand phaser skill up but defenitly not an I mod rifle

maximum9111

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 12:15 pm

Perhaps when you reach Captain you get special training. (Janeway was good with a phaser rifle)

munky99999

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 12:26 pm

well first id assume there is an enemy ship around, why aren't you in a shuttle/fighter?

ok say uve been shot down so your ship is gone a drift.

You should have already trained, you can't hear intruder alert and then go train to use a weapon.

anyway, i think there are a few different weapons that will be available to players.

Type 1, pocket size, not much power, can barely kill anything. This you get trained to in the academy.

Type 2, standard one, enough power, has a few settings, this you can just pick up and use;once you're in battle. This can also be tweaked and upgraded, by whoever crafts. You can tweak so the battery recharges on its own, or they can work in dampening fields, or it emits a weak shield(kinda like the one time in the delta flyer when it was about to be crushed)

Type 3, you require training that is viewed by a NPC security officer at a starbase, or the security officer aboard your ship.
These can be tweaked the same way as Type 2

Compression and better, only security people will be allowed to use these.

maximum9111

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 12:32 pm

I think everyone should be allowed to use compression or better...they are just REALLY Bad at it.  For example firing time takes ages, the battery goes quicker if your not trained

Kyrex

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 3:01 pm

I prefer a relatively realistic approach to using weapons. If I were to hand an M-16 rifle to anyone on this forum, nearly all of us could figure out how to use it, and at the very least, shoot the thing at something threatening. This would apply to the phasers in the ST:O universe as well.

It wouldn't be too much trouble to familiarize cadets in the academy with the large majority of phaser weapons in the arsenal of Starfleet. I think there should be some highly advanced weaponry that only security officers should get to use, but most anyone should be able to use a phaser.

Now, as a security officer, you would logically be *much* better at using phasers than that medical officer over there. This could be implemented in the game as greater damage, less aiming 'drift' (steadier aim, i.e. you're likely to hit where you clicked your mouse), and what Maximum said, quicker reloads, and greater battery capacity for your security officer's phaser.

maximum9111

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 3:47 pm

You and me Kyrex, we're on the same wavelength...You can be my first officer (assuming you'd use a UK server)

Goubercholly

Report this Jan. 23 2005, 11:23 pm

i be a engineer like scotty.. I Capitain. :rookie:. Or securtiy offiicer.. (red alert intruder on deck 10 and through 11 red alert)  :bored:

MrJuliano

Report this Jan. 24 2005, 12:14 am

BTW, welcome Gouber, i see your a new contributor to the boards. Glad to have you.

I envision it this way: Everyone should be a basic weapon user upon graduating the Academy. "every Marine is a rifleman" type of thing, you should have to pass basic field training to graduate.

As for special weapons, I agree only Security Officers should recieve this training, after all, why would a science officer or helmsman want to fire a photon mortar?

Tal_Shiar_Officer

Report this Jan. 24 2005, 1:14 am

My thought is that you can take whatever you want, but you are limited by inventory space. If you want to take something you can barely use, or even not use, over something that you can, that's your choice.

MrJuliano

Report this Jan. 24 2005, 1:24 am

I agree, Tal. If you want to set up a photon cannon, and use it, byu all means go ahead. Just don't complain when you engage in some friendly fire.

ian967

Report this Jan. 24 2005, 3:58 am

Quote (Kyrex @ Jan. 23 2005, 12:01 pm)

i agree and btw thats exactly what i was trying to say in those exact words
thanks for correcting my post  :D  ;)

Kyrex

Report this Jan. 24 2005, 1:51 pm

Maximum:
Who-hoo I get to be a first officer! Though I'm in the smack middle of the U.S. I'd play on a UK server for that. :D

I'm also with Tal on the 'highly limited inventory space' idea, I think it would be nifty.

As a side note, could someone tell me how to quote a person directly? I can do the block quotes, but I want to know how to include the person's name, date and time of post as well.

shadowlord2k

Report this Jan. 24 2005, 2:00 pm

The skill point system employed in SWG works well at limiting the skills that one can achieve. therefore it wouldnt be too restricting saying that if you wanted to reach maximum proficiency in security you can, but at the same time have a limited medic ability, so everyone is happy. it suits canon by letting everyone be able to do  at least very basic in most areas, but specialise in one or prehaps two.

Note that I am sticking my head out on this one and again am just waiting for a flaming !  :cool: