Recruiting Etiquette & Tips

forceflow

Report this Jan. 04 2005, 9:21 pm

I am an experienced simmer and recruiter. This topic was brought up sometime ago but it seems it was largely ignored and probably unless this topic gets replies, it will be ignored also. Maybe some of you will look at it and take this advice or maybe you will just continue, seeing it as a rant from some recruiter. So let me make it clear; I am not ranting, I am giving advice. I see alot of recruitments on this forum that could use some pointers, so here is my advice:

1. Bumping
Do not post a reply just to "bump" your topic to the top of the list. if your topic is interesting to other users, it will elicit responses which will keep it active. http://boards.startrek.com/communi....3184240

This is straight from the updated guidelines post.
Bumping is basically any time you post a reply on your topic that doesn't answer someone else's' reply.

2. Spam Recruiting
Don't make two or more topics on the same page about the same sim. Combine it. If you see someone from your sim that has already posted a topic about your sim, don't make a new one.

Recruiting:
Don't just post a link to your site, i.e. my sim: http://blah.whatever.com. Very few people will actually go there. You should at least include the following:
Year of sim, class of station/starship, some background info on the sim, a current plot summary would be nice, a short list of the positions you need, what type it is (PBeM - play by email; PBB/PBF - play by boards/forums; IRC/PBC - internet relay chat/play by chat), and a link to your site.

Sims:
If you noticed, there is a topic going on about uber - sims. Meaning sims that have unrealistic capabilites. If you are planning to start a sim, then do some research on the class of station/starship you are considering. If your sim is an uber - sim, then don't expect too many simmers to join.

Does anyone else have something to add?

Vulcan3324

Report this Jan. 04 2005, 9:57 pm

I would add that you should never say "So-and-so Fleet better than This Fleet". It's rude.

I would also say that you should encourage new simmers. They have a right to learn. :)

Darth_Cheddar

Report this Jan. 05 2005, 8:57 am

I've also noticed that some of the games that are recruiting have massive application pages. For some, it may be a too-daunting prospect to have to come up with a complete pre-history for a game that may or may not take flight, especially if they're not particularly Trek-savvy.

forceflow

Report this Jan. 07 2005, 7:02 pm

Also something else I recommend for people starting new sims, check to make sure that there is not a organization of the same name. People will confuse you with another organization if you have the same name.

STSF_GromVik

Report this Jan. 11 2005, 11:28 am

Tips for Recruiters

Hi there,

I frequent this board quite often (for obvious reasons) and I have read nearly hundreds of advertisements for all sorts of different simulations.  Reading all of these advertisements has prompted me to offer some advice on effective advertising.  STSF draws a fair number of recruits each year from the StarTrek.com message boards, so I know how crucial good advertising can be.

Things to Consider:

1. Be informative, but don't ramble on and on and on (and on).  Effective advertisements don't have to be very long; they just need to get the basic information across.

2. Be creative, but don't be stupid.  Not everybody necessarily has your canny sense of humor.  Feel free to experiment with catchy titles, but be careful of sounding too stupid/childish.

3. Be respectful.  In return for being respectful in your posts, players will think of you with respect.

4.  Make sure that all of the links in your post actually work.  The chances are slim if your links don't work.

5. A half completed website does not look all that good, so make sure your website is ready when you post a link to it.

6. Don't whine.  Whining for simmers to join won't get you anywhere.

7. Don't beg.  Begging is for dogs and small children.  The kind of quality of simmers that you are (presumably) trying to attract won't join a sim whose Captain/Admiral/Goddess begs for crew members.

8.  Don't bump.  There's nothing more annoying than a simulation owner that bumps his advertisement back to the top every two days.

9. Don't advertise too often.  Some players overkill on their advertisements.  I would suggest no more than once every two weeks.

10.  Don't get into tiffs with other players on this board.  Reputation is important.  If you're known as one who instigates or antagonizes, people that have the potential to join your sim will most certainly hear about it and become disinterested.

11. Check your spelling and grammar.  I don't know how many posts I see with countless spelling and grammar errors.  Poor spelling and grammar in an advertisement is an immediate turnoff.

This list is not comprehensive, but I hope it helps.

Sincerely,
STSF GromVik
Star Trek Simulation Forum GM
www.stsf.net

Teta

Report this Jan. 22 2005, 5:07 am

also, just one point,

dont use or allow stupid charicters in you sims, for example:

Admiral Data, after being assimilated by the borg he has returned.

dont use or allow, real charicters, real names, or stupid charicters (AKA Ex-borg, species 8472, Klingon-betazed cross)

i dont know about other captains, but it weally annoys me.

STSF_GromVik

Report this Jan. 22 2005, 2:55 pm

Quote (Teta @ Jan. 22 2005, 5:07 am)
also, just one point,

dont use or allow stupid charicters in you sims, for example:

Admiral Data, after being assimilated by the borg he has returned.

i dont know about other captains, but it weally annoys me.

Teta,

I think that's more of a personal preference thing by a GM rather than an actual steadfast rule.  While I would generally agree with you, I know that there are some RPers who do have the ability to use canon characters effectively without adding to or subtracting too much from their characters.  I would also note that these players are few and far between.

There are ways, as a GM, of dealing with characters that join your sim that you're not too keen on.

1. Be encouraging to the player.  Tell him what you like about his character.  If you make a bigger deal about what's right with the character, then he will have less of an aversion toward your criticism.

2. Be nice.  When asking for modifications in a character, be cordial and explain your reasoning why certain elements are not acceptable aboard your sim.  Example: We can't have a Romulan aboard the vessel, considering the Federation is at war with Romulus.

3. Offer alternatives.  Example: Perhaps instead, you could tackle a Vulcan or a Ferengi character.

Sincerely,
STSF GromVik
www.stsf.net

LtNicholasReitt

Report this Jan. 25 2005, 6:12 pm

:question:I have some questions:question::

:question:1-you keap refer to websites well some sims are on the message board, what is your advise to them?
:question:2-what if the sim is in the futer?
:question:3-can you plaes be the GM for my sim i'm not very good?

forceflow

Report this Jan. 25 2005, 6:27 pm

I read your topic about your sim.

First off I would recommend moving it out of here. This is a place to advertise, not to run a sim.
If you want a message board sim, go to http://proboards.com or http://invisionfree.com for getting your own board.

For your questions,

1 - These tips are for everyone
2 - Do research on it. Such as if your sim is on a Federation timeship, go find info on a timeship. Can't really help you alot since you didn't provide info about your sim.
3 - As for myself, I run a fleet. I wouldn't be able to aid you but someone around here probably will.

LtNicholasReitt

Report this Jan. 25 2005, 6:53 pm

Did you haveto give it a tone of "i'm beter than you and you can't evan emagin being beater than me"? beceuse thats very rude, degating, evil and cruel. :angry: (wheres your honor? :honorable: )

Loki_The_Trekster

Report this Jan. 25 2005, 7:25 pm

Hi i'm new to this board and i don't know what exactly this is about can someone explain.

forceflow

Report this Jan. 25 2005, 7:28 pm

Actually I was trying to help.

I recommended getting your own message board as this is limited and it will be filled with worthless stuff. With your own board, you have the control. Because I have seen a few sims in which the idea was good but the sim didn't fly because the person didn't have any tips. But if you think I have the tone of "I'm better than you and you can't even imagine being better than me", then fine. But let me set you straight, I don't really care if someone is better than me. I run a PBeM and you are looking into a play by forums. So I don't think I am better in that section.

But if you dont want my help, then fine then,

forceflow

Report this Jan. 25 2005, 8:23 pm

Quote (Phayes2 @ Jan. 25 2005, 6:25 pm)

Sims are role playing games, you take the role of a character that you create and you write about that character's life onboard the sim (simulation). You write along with other players that are in the sim with their characters. The current plot (the mission in most cases) is affected by what you write. You fullfill the role of a position that you choose (ie Chief Engineer, etc.) and you post according to the position that you are.

There are several different types of sims:

Play by Email (PBeM): Posts are sent using email.

Play by Board/Forum (PBB/F): The format basically is the same as an email sim except posts are on a message board.

Internet Relay Chat/Play by Chat (IRC/PBC): Everything is done in real time. Instead of waiting for replies like on a PBB & PBeM, the players are in a chat room and the plot is played out via there.

Each of these sims has its advantages and disadvantages.

Loki_The_Trekster

Report this Jan. 25 2005, 10:43 pm

Thx

STSF_GromVik

Report this Jan. 26 2005, 1:08 am

Quote (Phayes2 @ Jan. 25 2005, 7:25 pm)

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry about Star Trek Simming.  It's easy to get started and a whole lot of fun.  In the Star Trek Simulation Forum (STSF), StarTrek.com's official simming group, we specialize in live chat simulations.  In these simulations you take on the role of a Starfleet officer and perform that role to the best of your abilities.

Players start off in the STSF Academies.  These simulations are one-hour long training missions that help you get acquainted with STSF's style of simming.  Once you've fulfilled the graduation requirements and the GMs feel you're ready to move on, you will graduate and have the opportunity to play in advanced simulations.

For information on getting started with STSF, please visit http://www.stsf.net/howto.php

If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me, post them to this message board or post them to the STSF message board.

Sincerely,