Why sim

ob1klone

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 5:19 pm

I'm sorry if this is not the proper loc. for this, or if it has been discussed before. My question is this. Why sim, when the technology for MMORPG is better than it has ever been.Besides cost I can't think of any good reasons. Star Trek could be one of the best persistant online universes ever. Opinions please.

ob1klone

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 5:36 pm

I just wanted to add, I'm not bashing simming, I just wanted to know how everyone felt about this.

Shorty2005

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 6:21 pm

I want a mmorpg based on trek but do u see one exactly thats why we sim

TamOtlan

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 7:25 pm

I'm personally not interested in those kind of RPG's. I like being able to control my little chunk of it and write for a character I created down to the smallest idiosyncrasies. In written RPG's there is almost no limit to what you can do. :)

forceflow

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 7:37 pm

I agree with TamOtlan. I enjoy creating my own characters and writting along with fellow players.

Sumspy

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 8:23 pm

I don't like the systems where you have to go by a point system to build your character either.

pmorgen

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 9:53 pm

What's the point system?  I've been simming about a month now.  Gotten pretty good, too.  And never heard of points.

forceflow

Report this Jul. 06 2004, 10:02 pm

A few sims have a system of points to get promoted. Like posting is points, etc.

ZeRo836

Report this Jul. 07 2004, 3:04 am

There were plans to do a Star Trek MMORPG but those plans were later scrapped unfortunately. Oh well, simmings fun enough to satisfy me.

TrekFan1784

Report this Jul. 07 2004, 3:42 am

Simming is a lot more interesting.  Every time it's something different.  Almost any schmo can go out and buy EverQuest and do reasonably well playing it.  Simming actually takes some intellectual ability. (Not that I'm bashing EQ or EQ players, I used to be one myself)

-Shannon

Shorty2005

Report this Jul. 07 2004, 3:16 pm

I think simming is good but i would love a fully 3d game were u toke on roles as the crew and explored the trek unverse or deathmatchs were it could be two soverian class ships fighting out

Vulcan3324

Report this Jul. 08 2004, 2:43 am

The USS Juktas offers a unique simming environment. The players are friendly and  there is a definite friendly atmosphere. Promotions, when earned, are easy to receive. (thanks to a open-minded first officer ):D

SkyFaerie27

Report this Jul. 08 2004, 3:36 am

...points?  What for?  If you want to play a game, go play a game.  If you are more concerned about the characters and the plot than about blowing stuff up, then sim.  That's what I do.

STSF_BluRox

Report this Jul. 08 2004, 5:18 am

Quote (TamOtlan @ July 06 2004, 4:25 pm)

I agree fully with TamOtlan and forceflow. It's the written characterization and that interaction that you can control when working with other players that make it so special. Being able to write to develop your character's personality and background make the character much more interesting, and intrieging to your fellow simmers.

Check out the post that is pinned at the top of the Role Playing & Sims (STSF) page for more information on STSF sim and links to our information and help pages for help for new players and how to get started in simming.

STSF BluRox