William Shatner, Sally Kellerman and Gary Lockwood

JohnSullivan

POSTS: 1941

Report this Mar. 29 2004, 9:15 pm

I am saving my valuable time for a trip in a few months out to California to attend the Jimmy Doohan Goodbye Convention. He has meant so much to me as an inspirational person in my life.

But I must regret now that I didn't go to the Grand Slam XII in Pasadena, and I thank Star Trek (dot) com for posting the picture of William Shatner, Sally Kellerman and Gary Lockwood together. While all three played Star Trek characters who would die on alien planets "in the line of duty" they are all extremely influential actors who I thought I would never see together in the same setting - and I'll venture to suggest this is probably the first time in 40 years all three have been together. "Where No Man Has Gone Before," a 1960's
Second Pilot finally sold the series.

I am happy to report that all three actors, according to Lockwood, who does find time to e-mail me once in a while, are actually better known for other things (well, perhaps not Shatner, but you never know) ... come to these conventions to say "I am a Star Trek fan too." Very cool.

Chrystabel

Report this Mar. 30 2004, 1:28 am

Quote (JohnSullivan @ Mar. 29 2004, 6:15 pm)

I so desperately want to go to James Doohans farewell convention, but I have a previous engagement that weekendIll be riding my motorcycle from Seattle to Arkansas!  Wish me luck!  Doohan has always been one of my favorites, and it makes me sad that I wont have another opportunity to see him in person.  Check out my photo with him; it has been my treasure for the past 12 years!

JohnSullivan

POSTS: 1941

Report this Mar. 30 2004, 11:23 pm

^ Seattle to ARKANSAS?

You will have a blast. My best recommendation is to get down to Salt Lake City and take I-70, although you should certainly count on somehow carrying some extra gas to get you through Eastern Utah to Grand Junction. From Salt Lake City to about Idaho Springs, Colorado ... that is God's Country. And while you're at it, plan on paying more than you ever thought you would when going through Kansas, because like most U.S. States with Democratic governors, gas is heavily taxed to the point where you'll regret your trip through Kansas when you see the price of gas. All things considered, prices drop considerably once you get down to Oklahoma. Ironically, I can't believe this, but the most expensive gas in the country I've seen, this side of Arizona and California are in Texas. I can't figure that out - right behind the oil refineries on I-10 or I-10 are some very high priced stations.

It's time to explore that Antimatter thing ...

Chrystabel

Report this Mar. 31 2004, 1:08 am

I appreciate the low-down on gas prices, but I'm more interested in speed traps!  So, how fast can I go without losing my license?!   :laugh:

JohnSullivan

POSTS: 1941

Report this Mar. 31 2004, 1:51 am

You'll be just fine at 5+ in Utah, 10+ in Colorado or Kansas, and only 1+ in Oklahoma. In Oklahama, which I've personally written to Steve Largent and J.C Watts before to great frustration, they have these "Knight Rider" black painted unmarked cars in Oklahoma with one single purpose: To boldly explore new cars, to seek out new life forms and new out-of-state license plates, and to rape them over the coals like no man has done before."

Be careful in Oklahoma. They are evil there.

JohnSullivan

POSTS: 1941

Report this Mar. 31 2004, 2:27 am

^ AND I SHOULD MENTION ... if you take 50 (Royal Gorge) trip in Colorado between Montrose thru Glenwood Springs to Pueblo as opposed to I-70 there are plenty of simpleton speed traps there as well. It's a grand journey but filled with kiss-ass bored Deputies who love to harrass out-of-state plates. My own best suggestion is to take I-70 to Salina then I-135 down to Wichita and then Eastward out to the East on the new US 400 which is a great drive. More on that in a minute.

While you're in Colorado if you don't mind God's Country, cut south right before you get to Vail but after Kobe Bryant's lovely Eagle/Avon to US-24 in Colorado. You will thank me for this detour later. A great short description of this great place is in the "Twin Lakes" area of my own fiction here:

here - You will look back at Mount Raineer as a rather boring landmark after this trip. Save yourself the boredom by taking U.S. 91 back to the North out of Leadville, Turquoise Lake, and if you get as far south, to Twin Lakes. While Hagerman Pass (the part featured in the fiction) may be passable out of Turquoise lake in June, I would actually recommend no one actually try to go up there until July, at which time there will still be snow but not so much avalance danger.

Once you take 400 out of Wichata heading East, do stop in Neodesha. Also in that fiction is the small town of Neodesha, which is only 1 x 2 miles in size. A satellite picture of this spot, to include what becomes "Neodesha Spaceport" is here:

Neodesha

The most fascinating meaningless trivia of all? Well, it is this. When you look at the "Endless Wonder" or "LIBERTY 72" ship you will see a very odd "observation lounge" that is in the shape of a garage on the back top of the model. You can see a picture of this here: Page - just look for the small model of the ship approaching Mars and click on it for a good zoom. One of the most common questions I have is why is that thing there? Well, it is where I was when I first doodled out the shape of that ship as a youngster growing up in Neodesha. If you ever get to the corner of 7th and Iowa in Neodesha, then look up that garage - it is still there. And if you look at the contents within the "Botany Lab" at the ship cutaway here and when you see that large house connected to that garage at 7th & Iowa, you will see that indeed this ship is the ultimate expression of Rosebud. - To locate that location on a Yahoo map v. the map provided, just do 223 N. 7th. 2+2+3= 7 and the first name was actual LIBERTY 77, changed after Warner filed a name RESCUE 77 which was too close. I was thinking of changing the name to LIBERTY 223 but in hindsight after pissing off terrorists for 20 years in intelligence work I'm glad I didn't, although I knew I had been successful at pissing them off when they repeatedly targeted American Airlines flight 223 over and over again last winter.

And why do I bother to tell you about Neodesha? Well, only because I don't have any idea where you are going in Arkansas, but if I were you, from Neodesha I would go out of town catching 400 East to a real State, Missouri. While you're there, do go catch the REAL house of Laura Ingalls Wilder, and where she was buried there in Missouri, and you'll see a real American hero as she really lived, and not as portrayed by Melissa Gilbert the Hollywood S.A.G. director, who at last contact I've had with the Ingalls-Wilder museum, had continued to flip them the bird. To Gilbert, Laura Ingalls Wilder was only important because she - the actress - made her so.

Go figure.

Ed3091

Report this Oct. 04 2008, 2:37 pm

Chrystabel,

As a Law Enforcement Motorcycle Officer in Missouri, I wish you a great and safe ride. ¿Missouri does offers alot to see, this state offers a great historic element that everyone who remembers American History can relate with. ¿Little towns like Joplin and Hannibal can show you a good time....don't forget the big cities too....like St. Louis.

Best Wishes and keep the rubber down.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam