Disruptors & Phasers

Vold

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 12:09 am

are Disruptor such simple technology while Phasers such complex technology?

What i mean is, we see alot of races uses "Disruptors" While we barely if not at all, hear anyone mentioned enemies using phasers.

Are Phasers unique? that only Federation can make?

Or are Phasers the pathetic weapons of all that no one bother to make it?

or is there some other explaination?

danhunter

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 11:08 am

Disruptors are a less humane way of killing, phasers kill you painlessly while disruptors are more 'primitive' and cause you pain.  I have NO idea what the difference is in ship to ship combat except that maybe disruptors erm.......ok no idea :laugh:

Andor_Sushi

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 1:18 pm

plus phasers can be set to stun. And since they always seem to be able to modulate the settings that might be another way in which disruptors aren't as good.

Disruptors look like they are pretty much energy bullet shooters. Phaser though zaps your cohesion so you just poof to nothing.

Arger

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 3:43 pm

I think that disruptors are banned from the fedoration.And thats why thy have to use such a what looks like a rubbish weapon. :)

Arger

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 3:46 pm

Adrian70

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 10:57 pm

The most popular theory I've heard is usefullness; phasers can stun and can be used for different purposes (melt walls of rock, start a fire, stun bad guys) while disruptors are simply weapons (I've never heard of disruptor stuns).
  Other theories are that disputors fire more often compared to phasers, disruptors might be chaeper to produce than phasers, and phasers are pure energy weapons, while disruptors are anti-matter weapons.

Vold

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 11:20 pm

Ok, I guess I haven't made it clear what i ment, lol

I was refering to ship's weapons, not personal weapons. :)

so any theory on that?

Anyway thanks for the personal weapons opinions. :)

Andor_Sushi

Report this Feb. 28 2004, 11:44 pm

Well for that Disruptors might do more ship damage but phasers wear shields down faster.

Vold

Report this Feb. 29 2004, 12:07 am

Ok, but why is it that Federation are the only one using Phaser for ships.

I don't recall seeing other races shooting yellow strips at the Feds. Or hear anyone mentioned they're firing phasers at us.

BirdofPrey101

Report this Feb. 29 2004, 9:12 pm

During the Dominion war, I can remember seeing in those battle scenes, energy strips coming from everyone, klingons, breen, romulans, cardassians and whoever else. I would assume a disrupter is a special weapon. I've only seen them used with the klingons and romulans. I may be wrong though.

Vold

Report this Feb. 29 2004, 9:41 pm

no no no, that's not what i mean.

anyone can have strips, even Borg, Kazon, Vidian, etc.

What i ment is the very "Phaser" itself

Weapons called phasers & have similiar specs to the Feds, like that.

Why don't other races have that.

JohnSullivan

POSTS: 1941

Report this Feb. 29 2004, 10:20 pm

Your answer is easy. Some ships on processed film have green paint, and some have red paint. They just got to make sure the sounds and crayons are consistent - but it has not always been.

Vold

Report this Feb. 29 2004, 10:26 pm

Man from 1 confusion to another, I'm not talking about colour strips on the ship. :laugh:

I mean the ship's Phaser strips & weaponry.

To put it simply,
"Why don't other races use 'Phasers' as weapons for their ship."

Cel

Report this Mar. 01 2004, 8:53 am

Phasers and disruptors are really the same, except that phasers are more versatile and can be used as something other than a weapon. At various low-power settings, phasers can be used as a multipurpose tool such as a simple laser, an impromptu torch, a space heater to warm things up, or even a communications beacon.

But if you look at a phaser at its highest settings, though, it really is acting as a disruptor--it can blast holes in things, blow things apart, or simply vaporize things instantly.

Vold

Report this Mar. 01 2004, 8:55 am

I always wonder why no one can understand such a simple thing I'm asking.

I'm talking about the ship's weapons not hand held weapons.

Ships don't need to heat things up or act like a torch. :laugh:

Can someone please answer the question correctly for once. :)